For every problem, collecting data can aid in problem determination and save time resolving Problem Management Records (PMRs).
Gathering this data before calling IBM® support will help you understand the problem and save time analyzing the data.
Resolving the problem
Collecting troubleshooting data early, even before opening the PMR, helps IBM® Support quickly determine if:
- Symptoms match known problems (rediscovery).
- There is a non-defect problem that can be identified and resolved.
- There is a defect that identifies a workaround to reduce severity.
- Locating root cause can speed a development code fix.
Collecting Data: Read First table of contents:
For supported levels of
IBM Tivoli Storage Manager
you can use
IBM Support Assistant (ISA)
to capture general information. Alternatively, you can also manually collect the general information. Review the corresponding technical document (below) related to the specific problem.
Entering general information into an electronically-opened PMR
eliminates waiting on the phone to provide general information to Level 1 support.
If one of the product components below matches your symptom, or the part of the product with which you are experiencing problems, follow the instructions in the associated MustGather document:
- Review up-to-date product information at the Tivoli Storage Manager Product Support page.
- Utilize the IBM Electronic Service Request tool to access the Tivoli Storage Manager Support team when requiring assistance from IBM.
- Use the IBM Support Assistant (ISA), this free cross product tool assists you in increasing your capacity for self-help. The Tivoli Storage Manager server has a plugin for the ISA tool.
- Install and use the IBM Support Toolbar. This is a stand-alone application that allows you to easily search IBM.com for all types of software support content plus organizes the major areas of not only Software support, but the individual brand support sites into a concise application.