DB2 Version 9.7 for Linux, UNIX, and Windows

Creating an event monitor using the Control Center

Use the Create Event Monitor window to create an event monitor that will collect performance information on database activities. Event monitors can provide information on databases, tables, table spaces, buffer pools, deadlocks, connections, transactions, and SQL statements. Event monitors will also automatically collect information on overflow events.

Before you begin

To create an event monitor, you must have SYSADM or DBADM authority.

About this task

1. Open the Create Event Monitor window by expanding the Control Center's object tree until you find the Event Monitors folder. Right-click the Event Monitors folder and select Create from the pop-up menu.
  2. In the Name field, type a name for the event monitor you are creating. This new event monitor cannot have the same name as any existing monitor for this database. Acceptable special characters in an event monitor name are @, #, and $. Blank spaces are not allowed in the name.
  3. Select one or more of the Event Types check boxes to indicate the type of events that you want to monitor. Note that the Deadlocks event type is the default selection.
  4. If you are monitoring deadlocks, you can select With details to record information about the statements being executed by the applications in a deadlock and information about any other locks that those applications hold. Collecting this information will impact your system's performance because extra data must be passed between processes. However, this additional information can help you to identify the sources of deadlocks faster and more efficiently.
  5. If you are monitoring connections, transactions, or statements, you can click Filter to activate the Filter group box in which you can define one or more conditions that will control monitoring at these levels.
  6. In the Activate box, indicate when you want this monitor to start.

If you select Start now, monitoring will start when the event monitor definition is saved. If you are starting a statements event monitor, then information about currently executing statements is not collected. The monitor will start collecting statement information when the next SQL statement starts. Connections and transactions event monitors start in similar ways. Note that Start now is the default selection.

Choosing Restart automatically will automatically restart the monitor whenever the database starts up.

7. Optional: Click Output options to open the Output options window in which you can customize the way the event monitor will write its data.
    1. Optional: Customizing the table in which the event monitor will write its data is optional. If you do not select this option, then a table with default settings will be created. The default table settings are displayed when you open this window. Syntax for table customization is available.

You can click Reset to return the value back to the DB2® provided syntax.

2. Indicate the type of file I/O you want. An event monitor can have either blocked or non-blocked file I/O.

An event monitor has two I/O buffers. With blocked file I/O, when both buffers are full database agents wait for the event monitor to write one of its buffers before attempting to write new data to the buffer. With non-blocked file I/O, database agents do not wait for the monitor to write its data, and if both buffers are full when an event occurs, the event data is discarded.

Blocked I/O provides better data integrity, but non-blocked I/O provides better performance because database activities do not slow down due to waits. Blocked file I/O is the default.

3. Specify the size of I/O buffers in the Size of event monitor buffers field. The default size for each buffer is 4 pages. The maximum size is limited by the size of the database heap. If you are running multiple monitors, you can increase the size of the database heap configuration parameter.