Update Strategy for IBM Connections 6.0
Preventive Service Planning
This document describes the recommended strategy and steps for applying maintenance updates to IBM Connections 6.0. It includes important information on known issues.
Table of Contents:
- Section 1 - General Information
- Section 2 - List of IBM Connections 6.0 CRs
- Section 3 - Important Release Notes
- Section 4 - Software Requirements and Recommended Updates
- Section 5 - Instructions on applying Cumulative Refresh (CR) updates
Before you begin
It's important that you read this document to understand the requirements and the steps to deploy the latest IBM Connections 6.0 updates. This document is a summary of requirements for installing the latest updates.
- IBM Connection V6.0 IFR1 (April, 2018)
IBM Connections has delivered an interim release for IBM Connections v6 that removes Cognos Business Intelligence v10.2.2 as a supporting program from the Connections License. The reason for the update is that IBM Cognos Business Intelligence v10.2.x is reaching End of Support. IBM Connections V6.0 IFR1 has replaced IBM Connections 6.0 GA on Passport Advantage (see table below for part numbers). IC V6.0 IFR1 includes IC 6.0 CR1 so there is no need to apply CR1 after installation. The "Database Wizard for IBM Connection 6.0 IFR1" creates and updates connections databases to the CR1 level so no manual db schema updates are required when using the IFR1 DB Wizard. However if you are manually upgrading the Connections databases then the scripts will need to be run. See topic Migrating 5.0 and 5.5 databases manually for details. For more information on Metrics support in IBM Connections 6.0 refer to IBM Connections 6 Metrics update (Technote 2012379).
IBM Connections V6.0 IFR1 Passport Advantage Part Numbers:
DescriptionPart Numbers IBM Connections V6.0 IFR1 for Windows MultilingualCNS97ML IBM Connections V6.0 IFR1 for AIX MultilingualCNS98ML IBM Connections V6.0 IFR1 for Linux MultilingualCNS99ML IBM Connections V6.0 IFR1 Linux for System z MultilingualCNS9AML IBM Connections V6.0 IFR1 Wizard for Windows MultilingualCNS9BML IBM Connections V6.0 IFR1 Wizard for Linux, AIX MultilingualCNS9CML
Section 1 - General Information
- Updates for IBM Connections 6.0 are delivered via interim fixes called "Cumulative Refreshes" (CRs). CRs are cumulative. The latest CR will contain the changes included in all previous required iFixes and CRs. It is only necessary to install the latest CR to get all available changes.
- Cumulative Refreshes (CRs) consist of a set of cumulative fixes, one for each IBM Connections application. The entire application is updated. The CR includes multiple code changes bundled into a single package and verified together following IBM's interim fix delivery process.
- It is important to backup customization and product modifications made to the application prior to applying a set of CR interim fixes. Review the instructions to back up customization and product modifications in Section 5 - Instructions on applying Cumulative Refresh (CR) updates before installing the latest CR
- We recommend customers to apply the latest set of CR fixes as it becomes available. This ensures that all the applications in the IBM Connections environment are at the latest version. This in turn prevents the occurrence of known issues in your environment, increasing stability and minimizing downtime. It also helps expedite the resolution of newly reported issues.
Section 2 - List of IBM Connections 6.0 CRs
IBM Connections 6.0 CR3 (September 2018)
- Fix list for IBM Connections 6.0 CR3
- Fix Central download link for the IC 6.0 CR3 package (184.108.40.206-IC-Multi-CR03-LO94022)
IBM Connections 6.0 CR2 (June 2018)
- Fix list for IBM Connections 6.0 CR2
- Fix Central download link for the IC 6.0 CR2 package (220.127.116.11-IC-Multi-CR02-LO93505)
IBM Connections 6.0 CR1 (November 2017)
- Fix list for IBM Connections 6.0 CR1
- Fix Central download link for the IC 6.0 CR1 package (18.104.22.168-IC-Multi-CR01-LO92189)
- Fix Central download link for the IC 6.0 CR1 TDISOL package (LO93316)
Section 3 - Important Release Notes
- IBM Connections 6.0 CR3 Communities now integrates a subset of IBM Connections Engagement Center features, collectively known as the "Highlights app." This app can be customized to retrieve community content and present it to fit the needs of your community. To make this possible, CR3 installs the Highlights app on the same cluster as the Communities app. If ICEC was previously deployed on a different server, the CR3 install will move it to the Communities cluster to ensure that the Highlights app functions properly.
- If you use Cognos for the Metrics feature and install WebSphere Application Server 22.214.171.124 on the Cognos server, configure the server to use JDK v7.1 as explained in the technote, IBM Connections 6.0 CR3 Metrics with Cognos and WebSphere Application Server 126.96.36.199
- Review the System Requirements for IBM Connections 6.0 document
- Refer to the topic Updating IBM Connections 6.0 with the latest interim fix for details on installing interim fixes (iFix).
- Updated 18-6-19The Update Installer for IBM Connections has been extended to support IBM Connections Engagement Center (ICEC) and Communities Surveys.The latest version can be downloaded here - Fix Central download link for the 6.0 Update installer (build 2018-06-14). Make sure to download the latest version of the installer for installing IBM Connection 6.0 interim fixes (iFixes). While IBM Connections CRs does not use the Update Installer however interim fixes (iFixes) for IC 6.0 require the Update Installer.
- Additional steps are required for performing a Rollback for IC 6.0 CRs. Refer to the following technotes for additional information:
- iFixes and required updates are available for download from Fix Central.
Release Notes from Previous CRs
- Important: IBM Connections 6.0 CR1\IFR1 implemented additional security measures for custom and third party widgets which requires them to be registered in the Widget Container. Refer to Technote 2011111 for more details.
- Review Install / Rollback for IBM Connections 6.0 CR2 with the <loginRedirectWhitelist> LCC.xml setting (Technote 2017100) to prevent Install and rollback failures.
- IBM Connections supports GDPR requirements. For information, see the following IBM Technote: IBM Connections GDPR documentation. GDPR support is included in IC 6.0 CR2. In addition, the scripts to remove user data from Community Surveys can be downloaded from Fix Central here.
- Active Content Filtering in IBM Connections 6.0 CR1\IFR1 now uses a white-listing mechanism to provide additional security by only allowing uploads of content that meets your criteria. The legacy filtering feature that uses the black-listing mechanism is still supported. Refer to the topic Active content filters for more details.
- All IBM Connections 6.0 environments must apply the IC 6.0 Day1 and June 2017 Update iFixes unless applying IC 6.0 CR1 or above then those iFixes do not need to be installed.
- Information on issues with Google Chrome 60 refer to IBM Connections: Users unable to post status update comments and community events do not function after Google Chrome update (Technote 2007236) for a required update. The issues documented in this technote have been resolved in IC 6.0 CR1\IFR1 and above.
- For information regarding installing CCM on Windows Server 2016 refer to IBM Connections Content Manager 6.0 - Installation fails on Windows Server 2016 (technote 2008730).
Section 4 - Software Requirements and Recommended Updates
Review this section for the software updates and requirements for your IBM Connections environment. The installation details are included in Section 5 - Instructions on applying Cumulative Refresh (CR) updates. The following table lists specific configuration requirements per CR level:
- IBM FileNet & IBM Connections 6.0 databases
|CR level||IBM FileNet (if using CCM)||Database Updates|
|CR3||No Filenet Updates||Required database updates for Homepage, Solr, and creating a new database for the Highlights widget. See technote 731733 for details|
|CR2||No FileNet Updates||Required database updates for Communities, Files, HomePage, Metrics and Wikis. See technote 2016898 for details|
|CR1||*FileNet updates are required for CR1. See technote 2009305 for details||**Homepage and Activities database updates required. See technote 2009306 for details|
*There are no Filenet Component updates required for IBM Connections 6.0 IFR1. The IFR1 installation defaults to the fix packs for IC 6.0 CR1
** The "Database Wizard for IBM Connection 6.0 IFR1" creates and updates connections databases (Activities and Homepage) to the CR1 level so no manual db schema updates are required when using the IFR1 DB Wizard.
If the FileNet Components require updating on your deployment, upgrade to WebSphere Application Server 188.8.131.52 AFTER the FileNet components have been updated. Updating the FileNet components requires switching to Java 6.0 which WAS 184.108.40.206 no longer supports. WAS 220.127.116.11 forces all profiles within WebSphere to be upgraded to Java 8.
- IBM WebSphere Application Server 8.5.5
Use the recommended Java SDK for the supported versions of IBM Websphere Application Server
IBM WebSphere Application Server 8.5.5
|CR3||8.5.5 FP10 (18.104.22.168)||8.5.5 FP14 (22.214.171.124)|
|CR2||8.5.5 FP10 (126.96.36.199)||8.5.5 FP13 (188.8.131.52)|
- (fixed in WAS 184.108.40.206) Before upgrading to WAS 220.127.116.11 or WAS 18.104.22.168 when using the Domino LDAP contact IBM WebSphere Support to obtain the following iFix - PI88438: When defining a root Base DN for a federated repository, display and login problems occur. Otherwise the server will experience login failures.
- (fixed in WAS 22.214.171.124) IBM Connections 6.0 requires iFix PI94837 for APAR IJ04429 for SDK 126.96.36.199 which is the recommended Java SDK for WAS 188.8.131.52. The iFix can be downloaded from Fix Central refer to the following technote for details PI94837: SHIP IBM Java SDK 8 IJ04429 AS AN IFIX FOR WAS 8.5.5 (technote 4045004)
The following are offerings are available to IBM Connections customers:
IBM Connections 6.0 Add-ons
Updated 18-10-15 Component Pack for IBM Connections 184.108.40.206
The Component Pack for IBM Connections introduces new connectivity capabilities that enhance collaboration and boost productivity. Component Pack 220.127.116.11 introduces flexible Kubernetes platform support and provides bug fixes and improvements. Deployment improvements include a new model that further leverages Helm, resulting in easier deployment management and reduced overhead. The new model reduces the amount of time needed for deployment, and lays the foundation for zero-downtime upgrades.
- Component Pack for IBM Connections includes the following services:
The Component Pack is available for download on Fix Central. You can perform a full installation to deploy all of the components or use Starter Stacks to install specific components. Refer to the IBM Knowledge Center topic Optional: Installing the Component Pack for IBM Connections for details.
- The Orient Me home page provides your users with a cognitive view of their most essential Connections content. Orient Me shows users prioritized updates, with content from the people and communities they interact with the most at the top and grouped by source, or view a single stream based on time. The page is fully integrated with an updated Notification Center to truly make the home page a command center for managing time and attention. Orient Me is now included in the Component Pack for IBM Connections and is no longer available as a single download.
- IBM Connections Customizer is a proxy service that lets you modify the IBM Connections user experience. Customizer intercepts and modifies requests from clients and responses from servers, so it can customize anything that flows through it, such as the behavior of APIs or the look-and-feel of the user interface.
- Elasticsearch can be used for a variety of different features within Connections:
- Elasticsearch and Metrics
- Search and metrics capabilities based on Elasticsearch give you greater insights into your data. If you are an administrator, you can get meaningful metrics that demonstrate the business value of IBM Connections in your organization. You can chart Connections events such as every time that users read a blog entry, create a To Do item in an Activity, update a wiki page, or follow a Community. Community owners can also get metrics for the communities that they own. Track who visits the community, information shared such as comments, and participation in such activities as downloading file. Whether your organization is deploying metrics for the first time or migrating your existing Cognos metrics data to the new metrics, you can now visualize your data more easily with the improved interface.
- Type-ahead Search (IC 6.0 CR3 or higher)
- Type-ahead remembers where you have been recently so you can find content faster. For more information, see Setting up type-ahead search.
- Elastic Stack
- The Elastic Stack implementation (optional deployment) integrates with the Component Pack Elasticsearch cluster to provide a centralized logging solution.
- Fix Central download link for the Component Pack for IBM Connections 18.104.22.168
The Component Pack for IBM Connections 22.214.171.124 requires IBM Connections 6.0 CR1 or above
- Fix list for Component Pack 126.96.36.199
Updates for Component Pack 188.8.131.52
Component Pack 184.108.40.206 iFix1 for IBM Connections
The Component Pack 220.127.116.11 iFix1 for IBM Connections consists of Docker images and Helm charts that deploy to a fully completed installation of Component Pack 18.104.22.168. Before attempting to deploy the iFix1 release, please ensure you have completed all deployments steps for the 22.214.171.124 base release. Refer to the technote 730263 Installing Component Pack 126.96.36.199 iFix1 for details on deploying the iFix. The Component Pack 188.8.131.52 iFix1 for IBM Connections is available for download on Fix Central.
Fix Central download link for the Component Pack 184.108.40.206 iFix1 for IBM Connections
- APAR LO93624 is a required iFix for the Component Pack for IBM Connections 220.127.116.11. APAR LO93624 installs localized strings that are used in the navigation bar when selecting Orient Me or the classic homepage as the user default.
Fix Central download link for APAR LO93624 for Component Pack for IBM Connections 18.104.22.168
- ElasticSearch Metrics Update for IBM Connections 6.0 CR1(APAR# LO93386) contains additional updates for ElasticSearch Metrics. This is a required iFix for customers who plan on deploying ElasticSearch Metrics. Additional information on ElasticSearch Metrics refer to the IBM Knowledge Center topic Configuring the Elasticsearch metrics component. The ElasticSearch Metrics updates are included in IC 6.0 CR2 and above.
The ElasticSearch Metrics Update requires the latest version of the Update Installer. The latest version can be downloaded here - Fix Central download link for the 6.0 Update installer (build 2018-04-02).
Ephox Editors - Textbox.io 22.214.171.124 for IBM Connections 6.0
- Updated 18-9-27: New version of Ephox Editors for IBM Connections Version: 126.96.36.199 which includes Textbox.io Version: 188.8.131.52 is now available. The Ephox editor can the found at Fix Central here
Note: The Ephox Editors requires an entitlement license
- The Ephox editor, Textbox.io, is a full featured editor to enhance content authoring with wikis, blogs, profiles, forums, activities, and communities in IBM Connections.
IBM Connections 6.0 Smart Type-ahead searchIC 6.0 CR3 requires a schema update for Type-ahead search. The Solr schema update is in the database updates download file which is listed in Section 4 - Software Requirements and Recommended Updates of this document.
Try out the enhanced type-ahead Search from any page within Connections 6.0. This suggests content in the Search box based on content that you have previously interacted with. For example, if you have recently created, updated or even simply visited any content within Connections, this will appear as a suggestion in the type-ahead once you start to enter text in the Search input field that matches the title of this content. Refer to the topic Installing Type Ahead Search for installation details. IBM Connections smart Type-ahead search can the found at Fix Central here
Metrics Cognos Reports migration tool
If you previously used Cognos to provide Metrics data for your IBM Connections deployment, Metrics reports are stored in Cognos PowerCube. You can migrate existing Metrics report data from Cognos to Elasticsearch. For more information on the migration tool refer to the topic "Migrating Metrics data from Cognos PowerCube to Elasticsearch" in the IBM Connections Knowledge Center. The Metrics Cognos Reports migration tool can be found at Fix Central here
Section 5 - Instructions on applying Cumulative Refresh (CR) updates
Always install the latest Cumulative Refresh (CR), as it contains the changes from all previous CRs. CRs are cumulative. It is only necessary to install the latest CR to get all available changes. For example, CR2 contains all the changes from CR1 plus the new changes added in CR2.
Before you begin:
- These instructions are a summary of the procedure. They are intended to complement the product documentation pages on installing fix packs, because CRs use the same installation process as a fix pack. Review the topics under the Updating IBM Connections 6.0 page for more details specifically Updating IBM Connections 6.0 with the latest Cumulative Refresh (CR)
- IBM Connections 6.0 environments using Connections Content Management (CCM) will need to upgrade the FileNet installation as part of the upgrade to a 6.0 CR. IBM Connections environments that do not have CCM can follow these guides disregarding the FileNet sections. Here are Step-by-Step examples of applying a CR to IBM Connections 6.0 with CCM
Important: Prior to applying a CR, it is important to back up customization and product modifications made to the application refer to the following:
- Backing up IBM Connections
- Backing up Customizations and Product Modifications (Technote 1694397)
- For silently installing a fix pack to update IBM Connections please review the topics in Installing silently
Steps to install IBM Connections CRs
The installation of a 6.0 CR consists of the following steps:
1. Upgrade WebSphere Application Server
Note: Review the System Requirements for IBM Connections 6.0 document to determine if your deployment has the most up to date supported version of WebSphere Application Server (WAS).
If you need to apply WebSphere Application Server (WAS) fixes or fixpacks, we recommend you install these prior to updating Connections. Applying WAS fixes follow these general steps:
1. Stop WAS processes (deployment manager, node agents, application servers).
2. Apply any recommended WAS fixes. Refer to Section 4 - Software Requirements and Recommended Updates for all recommended fixes
3. In the soap.client.props file change the SOAP Request Timeout to com.ibm.SOAP.requestTimeout=0 to ensure that no requests timeout during a CR install.
4. Restart WAS processes (deployment manager, node agents, application servers).
For detailed information on how to apply fixes and fix packs on WAS, review the Installing and uninstalling interim fixes and fix packs on distributed operating systems topics in the product documentation.
2. Upgrade to the latest version of the Installation Manager
Note: This section is not required when upgrading to IC 6.0 CRs
Upgrade to the IBM Installation Manager 1.8.5 64 bit or above. The latest version of the install manager is available from Fix Central via this link: IBM Installation Manager
3. Update Connections Databases and Create the database for the Highlights widget
The necessary database updates are listed in Section 4 - Software Requirements and Recommended Updates of this document.
To apply the database updates:
1. Download the database script package for the CR.
-- technote 731733 for IC 6.0 CR3
-- technote 2016898 for IC 6.0 CR2
--technote 2009306 for IC 6.0 CR1
2. Review the steps to run the database update scripts for your database type.
3. Run the commands for your database type.
Note: The "Database Wizard for IBM Connection 6.0 IFR1" creates and updates connections databases (Activities and Homepage) to the CR1 level so no manual db schema updates are required when using the IFR1 DB Wizard.
Important: IBM Connections 6.0 CR3 requires a new database for the Highlights Community widget. The script to create the database is located in the 60cr3-database-updates.zip file in the Highlights_DB_Creation directory.
• Review the scripts to and make the appropriate changes the script file to better fit into your system. Refer to the topic Creating a database for details. Note the username and password that is defined in the script to create the XCC database. IC 6.0 CR3 install will prompt for that information.
• If your server already has IBM Connections Engagement Center deployed on it then the XCC database does not need to be created.
IBM Connections CR3 Communities is now integrated with IBM Connection Engagement Center. Due to this, ICEC deployment will be moved from its current deployment location to the Communities cluster.
4. Install IBM Connections CR
1. Download the latest CR update. The latest CR update is on IBM Fix Central. (You will find the direct link to the latest CR listed in Section 2 - List of IBM Connections 6.0 CRs of this document.)
2. Copy the CR package and the database schema to the server on which the Deployment Manager is installed. Decompress the CR package downloaded in the step #1 into a temp directory.
3. If applying the CR to a clustered environment, ensure the WebSphere Application Server Deployment Manager is started and all node agents and application servers are shutdown.
4. Run the IBM Installation Manager from the server on which the Deployment Manager is installed to apply the CR.
5. Configure the repository in the IBM Installation Manager
a. From the IBM Installation Manager menu, click File > Preferences.
b. Click Repositories from the left navigation > Add Repository
c. Enter the full path to the CR that you downloaded or click Browse to navigate to the location of the CR and then click OK. (The location is the temp directory in step #2)
In IC 6.0 CR1 for example: C:\Install\Connections CR\LC_version_Fixpack\Updates\repository.config
d. The IBM Installation Manager indicates if it can connect to the repository.
e. Click OK to save the new repository.
6. Apply the CR
a. Click Update in the Installation Manager.
b. The package group panel appears. Select the IC 6.0 package group (the default is IBM Connections) and click Next.
c. Review and accept the license agreement by clicking I accept terms in the license agreements and then click Next.
d. Ensure that all the applications are selected and click Next.
Note: All of the installed applications are selected by default. If you add any of the non-selected applications, those applications will be installed. If you clear any of the selected applications, those applications will be uninstalled.
e. Enter the administrative ID and password of the Deployment Manager and click Validate. Once the administrative ID is validated, click Next.
f. Enter the database information for the XCC database.
Important: The username and password need to match the user and password in the script that was used to create that database in step 3 Update Connections Databases and Create the database for the Highlights widget
g. Review the summary information and click Update.
h. When the update is completed, click Finish button.
7. Start node agents and then perform a full synchronization to push the update to all nodes. Check the SystemOut.log of each nodeagent to ensure synchronization completed successfully.
8. In the WebSphere Integrated Solutions Console Select Servers > Server Types > Webservers
9. Select the Webserver then click on Generate Plug-in
10. Once the plug-in is generated then select the Webserver and click on Propagate Plug-in
11. Stop the Node Agent
12. Delete the contents of the cache under the App Server (i.e. C:\IBM\WebSphere\AppServer\profiles\AppSrv01\temp)
13. Start node agents, then perform a full synchronization to push the update to all nodes. Check the SystemOut.log of each node agent to ensure synchronization completed successfully.
14. It's recommended that a check of the Security Roles for the ICEC application is done. See topic Mapping security roles for further details
15. Start the Connections Server
16 Verify that the CR was successfully installed. Go to \IBM\Connections and open Version.txt to confirm the CR build number
1. IC 6.0 CR3 build number: IC6.0_CR3_Connections_20180926-2237
2. IC 6.0 CR2 build number: IC6.0_CR2_Connections_20180606-1047
3. IC 6.0 CR1 build number: IC6.0_CR_Connections_20171116-0818
5. Upgrade FileNet Components
After applying an IBM Connections 6.0 CR1, you must upgrade FNCE Server & Client. Please read the entire install instructions before beginning the installation. The topic Updating IBM Connections 6.0 with the latest Cumulative Refresh (CR) has important information that must be followed when applying IBM Connections 6.0 CRs and the subtopic Post-update tasks has information on deploying the latest FileNet FixPacks and Interim Fixes.
There are examples of the FileNet installation process in the following technotes:
- There are no FileNet updates when upgrading from IC 6.0 CR2 to IC 6.0 CR3
- There are no FileNet updates when upgrading from IC 6.0 CR1/IFR1 to IC 6.0 CR2
- Technote 2009611 for installing IC 6.0 CR1 from IC 6.0
Note: There are no Filenet Component updates required for IBM Connections 6.0 IFR1. The IFR1 installation defaults to the fix packs for IC 6.0 CR1
7. Update Tivoli Directory Integrator assembly line
If an update to the TDISOL package is available in Section 2 - List of IBM Connections 6.0 CRs then download the update and follow the installation instructions that are included in the download.
8. Update miscellaneous items
Metrics: For customers who have deployed Elastic search for Metrics
- (Required) Perform all the the steps in the topic Deploying Elasticsearch Metrics with the data migrated from the metrics relational database once IC 6.0 CR3 is installed
- (Optional) Refer to the topic Migrating Metrics data from Cognos PowerCube to Elasticsearch to migrate existing Metrics reports from Cognos to Elasticsearch.
Orient Me: For customers who have installed Orient Me refer to the topic Enabling profiles events for orient me for configuration details.
Installation Note: Make sure to clear the contents of the cache under the App Server by deleting the files in the directory C:\IBM\WebSphere\AppServer\profiles\AppSrv01\temp before restarting the node and cluster. Once the CR is installed restart DMGR and node agents then sync the nodes.
The IC 6.0 CR installation is complete; start the environment and you should be on the latest 6.0 CR.
Translate this page: