Supportability Q&A about IBM Notes and macOS Sierra (OS X 10.12.x)
This technote contains questions and answers pertaining to installing and running IBM Notes on Apple's macOS Sierra (OS X 10.12.x).
** For related technotes about other OS X versions, refer to the Index of Supportability Q&A technotes for Notes and OS X and Windows (technote 1998488) **
Q1. Does IBM Notes support Apple's macOS Sierra (aka OS X 10.12)?
IBM Notes 9.0.1 64-bit running 9.0.1 Interim Fix 5 or above supports macOS Sierra and OS X 10.11. IBM recommends applying the latest Fix Pack and Interim Fix available to benefit from the latest features and enhancements.
As was announced in Q4 2015 in the following technical document, Notes 9.0.1 Mac 32-bit is not supported with newer Mac operating systems, including macOS Sierra: Statement of Direction: Recommended client for Mac 64-bit is Notes 9.0.1 64-bit
For the purposes of this technote, OS X 10.12 will be referred to as macOS Sierra throughout the remainder of this document.
Q2. What versions of Notes are supported on macOS Sierra?
- IBM Notes 9.0.1 64-bit released in Fall of 2015 running 9.0.1 Interim Fix 5 released September 30, 2016 supports macOS Sierra and OS X 10.11 with Oracle JRE 1.8. Prior releases, including IBM Notes 9.0.1.x 32-bit and Notes 8.5.x, are not supported.
- IBM Client Application Access (ICAA) 184.108.40.206 Feature Pack 1 due out in November 2016 will support macOS Sierra. ICAA for Mac 64-bit is a lightweight solution that helps clients who want to move to a browser-based interface for email (IBM SmartCloud Notes web, IBM Verse, or iNotes), while continuing to work with existing Notes and Domino applications on-premises.
Q3. I'm already at Notes 9.0.1 64-bit, where can I download 9.0.1 Interim Fix 5 or higher?
See this document for a list of fixes and download links for Notes 9.0.1 64-bit Interim Fixes
Q4. Can I install Notes 32-bit 9.0.1.x or earlier on a Mac running macOS Sierra?
No. IBM Notes 9.0.1.x 32-bit will not function on macOS Sierra.
Q5. If I am running Notes 32-bit, what steps can I take to work with macOS Sierra?
Install Notes 9.0.1 64-bit + 9.0.1 Interim Fix 5 for Mac. This release can be installed and is supported on macOS Sierra and OS X 10.11 (El Capitan). IBM Notes 9.0.1 64-bit for Mac also requires Oracle JRE 1.8 or higher.
- Instructions to move from Notes 32-bit to 64-bit
- Step 1: Uninstall 32-bit Notes 9.0.1. The 32-bit version must be uninstalled first. Attempting to install 64-bit will prompt users to uninstall 32-bit version of Notes first. To uninstall, run the uninstall program using either the 9.0.1 32-bit package or the 9.0.1 64-bit package, which contains an uninstall program.
- Step 2: Install 64-bit Notes 9.0.1: You can install Notes either before upgrading to macOS Sierra or after.
- Step 3: Install 64-bit Notes 9.0.1 Interim Fix 5
Q6. Where can I download IBM Notes 9.0.1 64-bit or the Mac 64-bit API Toolkit that was released in 2015?
Notes 9.0.1 64-bit is available for download from IBM Passport Advantage Online, Partner downloads, and in IBM Connections Cloud for SmartCloud Notes customers (see below table for more information).
|IBM Notes 9.0.1 MAC 64 bit English||
CN6VDEN - Production
CIQ7NEN - Evaluation
|IBM Notes v9.0.1 Mac 64 Bit Mac OS X Spanish French & Portuguese Brazilian||
CN746ML - Production
CN74EML - Evaluation
|IBM Notes v9.0.1 Mac 64 Bit Mac OS X Italian & Geman||
CN747ML - Production
CN74FML - Evaluation
|IBM Notes v9.0.1 Mac 64 Bit Mac OS X Japanese & Korean||
CN745ML - Production
CN74DML - Evaluation
|IBM Notes v9.0.1 Mac 64 Bit Mac OS X Chinese||
CN744ML - Production
CN74CML - Evaluation
|IBM Notes v9.0.1 Mac 64 Bit Mac OS X Portuguese & Turkish||
CN74BML - Production
|IBM Notes v9.0.1 Mac 64 Bit Mac OS X Polish & Russian||
CN74AML - Production
|IBM Notes v9.0.1 Mac 64 Bit Mac OS X Finnish Norwegian & Swedish||
CN749ML - Production
|IBM Notes v9.0.1 Mac 64 Bit Mac OS X Danish & Dutch||
CN748ML - Production
|IBM C API Toolkit for Notes/Domino 9.0.1 Mac 64 bit English||
IBM Connections Cloud and IBM SmartCloud Notes customers can download Notes 9.0.1 64-bit. See the following document and use the part numbers above: FAQ: Software downloads for IBM SmartCloud Notes customers.
In addition to Passport advantage or partner downloads, anyone can download the toolkit from the IBM Software Download site as follows:
API Toolkit Download Instructions:
1. Go to the IBM C API Toolkit for Notes/Domino 9.0.1 API Download
2. Navigate through to download the following:
IBM C API Toolkit for Notes/Domino 9.0.1 Mac 64 bit English - C_API_TKT_NOTDOM901_64b_MACEN.zip (18 MB)
Q6. Are there any known issues?
Fixed in 9.0.1 64-bit Interim Fix 6
- CSMHAEEQT2: Notes Client Crash in macOS Sierra with Print calendar to a document option
- HPXGAEA5ME: Notes macOS Sierra: Save button changes to print button after save as .pdf and then print again
- BMBMAEQ4JA: Notes macOS Sierra: Characters do not show for Chinese, Norwegian and other locales
Fixed in 9.0.1 64-bit Interim Fix 5:
- HPXGAE73BY: Pressing Command+Z (undo keyboard shortcut) displays an "internal error" dialog box and will terminate the Notes client and generate an NSD logfile if you click the button labeled "Crash". If you choose the default "Continue", Notes will continue running.
IBM Notes 9.0.1.x 32-bit - Not supported, triggers one or more of the following issues:
- "Failed to launch platform provisioning. Refer to User/<current user./Library/Application Support/IBM Notes Data/Expeditor/Applications/logs/rcplauncher.log for more information."
- "The Installation Failed. The installer encountered an error that caused the installation to fail. Contact the software manufacturer for assistance."
- “This package is incompatible with this version of OS X and may fail to install”
- “IBM Notes” cannot be opened. This application requires the legacy Java SE 6 runtime which is unavailable for this version of OS X.
Have questions about this Technote?
You can Live Chat with one of our engineers during business hours (U.S. Eastern time zone) Monday through Friday. For specific hours and more information, click the link below.
More support for:
Software version: 9.0.1
Operating system(s): OS X
Software edition: 64-bit, Social Edition, Standard
Reference #: 1991680
Modified date: 03 September 2018