Security Bulletin: A vulnerability in the GSKit component of IBM Rational ClearQuest (CVE-2016-0201)
A vulnerability has been addressed in the GSKit component of IBM Rational ClearQuest.
DESCRIPTION: IBM GSKit could allow a remote attacker to obtain sensitive information, caused by an MD5 collision. An attacker could exploit this vulnerability to obtain authentication credentials.
CVSS Base Score: 5.9
CVSS Temporal Score: See https://exchange.xforce.ibmcloud.com/vulnerabilities/109310 for the current score
CVSS Environmental Score*: Undefined
CVSS Vector: (CVSS:3.0/AV:N/AC:H/PR:N/UI:N/S:U/C:H/I:N/A:N)
Affected Products and Versions
ClearQuest Web Server: Versions 8.0 through 18.104.22.168 if using IBM HTTP Server version 8 or newer. The GSKit is for secure connections (https).
ClearQuest Clients and Web Server:
Rational ClearQuest versions from 8.0 through 22.214.171.124 if ClearQuest is configured to use LDAP authentication with SSL connections.
ClearQuest Web Server:
Apply an IHS fix for the issue:
- Determine the IHS version used by your ClearQuest Web server. Navigate to the IBM HTTP Server installation directory (typically /opt/ibm/HTTPServer or C:\Program Files (x86)\IBM\HTTPServer), then execute the script: bin/versionInfo.sh (UNIX) or bin\versionInfo.bat (Windows). The output includes a section "IBM HTTP Server for WebSphere Application Server". Make note of the version listed in this section.
- Review the following IHS security bulletin for the available fixes: Security Bulletin:Vulnerabilities in the GSKit component of IBM HTTP Server (CVE-2016-0201 and CVE-2015-7420)
- Apply the relevant fixes to your IBM HTTP Server installation used on your ClearQuest Web server host. No ClearQuest-specific steps are necessary.
- For this ClearQuest Web server, also follow steps ClearQuest Clients if you also use LDAP authentication with SSL connections.
ClearQuest Clients and Web Server:
The solution is to install a newer, fixed version of the GSKit runtime component.
Applying the fix
8.0.1 through 126.96.36.199
|Install Rational ClearQuest Fix Pack 11 (188.8.131.52) for 8.0.1|
8.0 through 184.108.40.206
|Install Rational ClearQuest Fix Pack 18 (220.127.116.11) for 8.0|
Workarounds and Mitigations
Get Notified about Future Security Bulletins
IBM strongly suggests that all System z customers be subscribed to the System z Security Portal to receive the latest critical System z security and integrity service. If you are not subscribed, see the instructions on the System z Security web site. Security and integrity APARs and associated fixes will be posted to this portal. IBM suggests reviewing the CVSS scores and applying all security or integrity fixes as soon as possible to minimize any potential risk.
* 28 January 2016: Original version published
* 27 May 2016: Revised for new fix packs
*The CVSS Environment Score is customer environment specific and will ultimately impact the Overall CVSS Score. Customers can evaluate the impact of this vulnerability in their environments by accessing the links in the Reference section of this Security Bulletin.
According to the Forum of Incident Response and Security Teams (FIRST), the Common Vulnerability Scoring System (CVSS) is an "industry open standard designed to convey vulnerability severity and help to determine urgency and priority of response." IBM PROVIDES THE CVSS SCORES "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, INCLUDING THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. CUSTOMERS ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR ASSESSING THE IMPACT OF ANY ACTUAL OR POTENTIAL SECURITY VULNERABILITY.
|Software Development||Rational ClearQuest||8.0, 18.104.22.168, 22.214.171.124, 126.96.36.199, 188.8.131.52, 184.108.40.206, 220.127.116.11, 18.104.22.168, 22.214.171.124, 126.96.36.199, 188.8.131.52, 184.108.40.206, 220.127.116.11, 18.104.22.168, 22.214.171.124, 126.96.36.199, 188.8.131.52, 184.108.40.206, 8.0.1, 220.127.116.11, 18.104.22.168, 22.214.171.124, 126.96.36.199, 188.8.131.52, 184.108.40.206, 220.127.116.11, 18.104.22.168, 22.214.171.124, 126.96.36.199|
More support for:
Software version: 8.0, 188.8.131.52, 184.108.40.206, 220.127.116.11, 18.104.22.168, 22.214.171.124, 126.96.36.199, 188.8.131.52, 184.108.40.206, 220.127.116.11, 18.104.22.168, 22.214.171.124, 126.96.36.199, 188.8.131.52, 184.108.40.206, 220.127.116.11, 18.104.22.168, 22.214.171.124, 8.0.1, 126.96.36.199, 188.8.131.52, 184.108.40.206, 220.127.116.11, 18.104.22.168, 22.214.171.124, 126.96.36.199, 188.8.131.52, 184.108.40.206, 220.127.116.11
Operating system(s): AIX, Linux, Solaris, Windows
Reference #: 1975420
Modified date: 27 May 2016