Using best practice variables in PARMGEN configuration profiles
How to merge predefined best practice variables into PARMGEN configuration profiles?
How to: Merge predefined variables into configuration profiles
Using variables makes it much easier to change operational values, such as storage-related values or port numbers, that affect multiple products and runtime environments. You can change the resolution values of the variables without recreating the runtime environments. IBM provides a set of system variables and user-defined variables that you can import into your configuration profiles. The variable symbols automatically replace the values for the corresponding parameters so you do not have to edit the parameters individually.
Before you begin
If your RTE needs to be updated in any way (for example, to apply the latest maintenance), reconfigure the RTE before you merge the model variables into your profile (KCIJPCFG). Follow the appropriate SMP/E scenario for applying the maintenance.
About this task
The KCIJPMCF job sets the variables support flag if necessary and merges the set of variables in the %GBL_TARGET_HILEV%.TKANSAM($MDLVARS) member into the current RTE configuration profile. The merge replaces current configuration values with symbolics. These symbolics are predefined with IBM defaults. You need to import these definitions from %GBL_USER_JCL%(KCI$RTEV) into your variables profile.
The merge job does not overlay values like high-level qualifiers, started task prefixes and names, and VTAM applid prefix and names that are inherited from the KCIP@PG3 panel. After you run the merge job, review these parameters in the RTE configuration profile to decide whether you to change them to variables such as &SYSNAME, or &SYSCLONE..
This procedure consists of 8 steps:
- Back-up the PARMGEN RTE WCONFIG dataset (if you have not performed a refresh via one of the SMPEnn maintenance scenario as part of this merge process.)
- Refresh IK* templates/WCONFIG *$IBM profiles via WCONFIG(KCIJPUP1) job (if you have not performed a refresh via one of the SMPEnn maintenance maintenance scenario as part of this merge process.)
- Merge the model variables into the configuration profiles.
- Edit the RTE configuration profile.
- Copy the KCI$RTEV member into the variables profile and edit the profile.
- Recreate members and jobs ($PARSESV).
- Submit the jobs necessary to complete the set up of the RTE.
- Recycle any affected started tasks.
1. Merge the model variables.
Note: Ensure that you have backed-up the PARMGEN RTE WCONFIG dataset and have refreshed the IK* templates/WCONFIG *$IBM profiles via WCONFIG(KCIJPUP1) job (if you have not performed a refresh via one of the SMPE nn maintenance maintenance scenario as part of this merge process.)
a. Enter UTIL on the command line of a Workflow panel. The Utilities panel is displayed.
b. Select Merge profile from a backup LPAR RTE profile (option 17). The JCL for the KCIJPMCF job is displayed.
c. Edit the value for OLDMEM to point to %GBL_TARGET_HILEV%.TKANSAM($MDLVARS) (for example, IBM.OMEGAMON.TKANSAM($MDLVARS))
000079 //* Merge the changes in %OLDMEM% into %NEWMEM% member.
000080 //* *******************************************************************
000081 //MERGECHG EXEC PGM=IKJEFT01,DYNAMNBR=99,REGION=4M
000082 //SYSEXEC DD DISP=SHR,
000083 // DSN=IBM.OMEGAMON.TKANCUS
000084 //SYSTSPRT DD SYSOUT=*
000085 //SYSPRINT DD SYSOUT=*
000086 //SYSTSIN DD *
000087 KCIRPLBX +
000088 BATCH +
000089 SKIPVAR(IBM.OMEGAMON.TKANCUS(KCIDPGNX)) +
000090 OLDMEM(IBM.OMEGAMON.TKANSAM($MDLVARS)) +
d. Submit the job.
2. Edit the RTE configuration profile.
a. From the Workflow main menu, select Customize PARMGEN configuration profiles. The Customize PARMGEN Configuration Profile Members panel is displayed.
b. Enter 1 to edit the RTE configuration profile.
c. Edit the profile to implement variables for any of the inherited parameter values that were not overwritten.
For example, RTE_NAME is inherited as part of multiple parameters, such as RTE_TEMS_NAME_NODEID, RTE_X_SECURITY_EXIT_LIB, or RTE_PDS_HILEV. Change the static RTE name in the parameter values to &SYSNAME. by doing XF on the RTE name, and then doing a change all to &SYSNAME..
d. Change the value of RTE_NAMESV back to the static RTE name.
e. Save your changes and return to the Customize PARMGEN Configuration Profile Members panel.
3. Copy the KCI$RTEV member into the variables profile and edit the profile.
a. Select option 3 (Customize the Variables Profile).
b. To customize the variables profile, copy the contents of %GBL_USER_JCL%(KCI$RTEV) and append them to the bottom of the RTE variables profile.
c. Customize the resolution values as necessary for your site. Edit the values for any system variables that cannot be determined from the IPL PARMLIB and the values for any user-defined variables whose site-specific values differ from the IBM supplied defaults.
4. Recreate members and jobs.
a. From the Workflow main menu, select Create RTE members and jobs.
b. Submit the $PARSESV job.
5. Submit the jobs necessary to complete the set up of the RTE.
a. From the Workflow main menu, select Submit batch jobs to complete PARMGEN setup . The Submit Batch Jobs to Complete PARMGEN Setup is displayed.
b. Submit the KCIJPSYS job to refresh started tasks or manually refresh the started tasks in the PROCLIB.
If the RTE was previously enabled for variables, and you did not make any changes to previously defined RTE parameters with symbols, you do not need to submit the KCIJPSYS job. Instead, you can just edit the RKLVIN DDNAME as follows (if not already modified to look like the RKLVIN DD set-up noted below):
//RKLVIN DD DISP=(OLD,PASS),
//*RKLVIN DD DISP=SHR,
c. Submit the KCIJPW2R job to deploy the updated runtime members from the WK* libraries to the RK* production user libraries.
6. Recycle the affected started tasks.
- See supplementary material "Best practice variables" attachment: reference_bestpracticesymbolics.pdf
- See "How to: Merge predefined variables into configuration profiles" How-to topic in IBM Knowledge Center "OMEGAMON XE shared publications">"Scenarios and How-tos" topic: https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SSAUBV/com.ibm.omegamon_share.doc_22.214.171.124/parmgenref/merge_variables.htm
More support for:
Tivoli OMEGAMON Family
Software version: 3.1.0
Operating system(s): z/OS
Reference #: 1683976
Modified date: 29 November 2015