Security Bulletin: Rational ClearQuest affected by vulnerability in OpenSSL (CVE-2014-0076)
A security vulnerability has been discovered in OpenSSL. Some configurations of IBM rational ClearQuest may expose this vulnerability.
|Subscribe to My Notifications to be notified of important product support alerts like this.
Description: OpenSSL could allow a local attacker to obtain sensitive information, caused by an implementation error in ECDSA (Elliptic Curve Digital Signature Algorithm). An attacker could exploit this vulnerability using the FLUSH+RELOAD cache side-channel attack to recover ECDSA nonces. This vulnerability can only be exploited locally, authentication is not required and the exploit is not complex. An exploit can only partially affect confidentiality, but not integrity or availability.
CVSS Base Score: 2.1
CVSS Temporal Score: See https://exchange.xforce.ibmcloud.com/vulnerabilities/91990
CVSS Environmental Score*: Undefined
CVSS Vector: (AV:L/AC:L/Au:N/C:P/I:N/A:N)
Affected Products and Versions
IBM Rational ClearQuest versions:
- 7.1.1 through 220.127.116.11
- 7.1.2 through 18.104.22.168
- 8.0 through 22.214.171.124
- 8.0.1 through 126.96.36.199.
Note: Versions earlier than 7.1.1 are not affected.
OpenSSL is shipped as embedded in cqperl.
Rational ClearQuest does not provide any services using OpenSSL.
No server component is affected.
You are vulnerable if:
- You use OpenSSL in the perl hooks/scripts
- Your perl hooks/scripts communicate with a server that uses ECDSA server certificates
- Your perl hooks/scripts use client certificates with ECDSA.
- If your server uses other certificate types, you are not vulnerable.
- If you do not use client certificates, you are not vulnerable.
Apply an interim fix for your appropriate release of Rational ClearQuest.
- 7.1.1.x: Upgrade to Rational ClearQuest Fix Pack 13 (188.8.131.52) for 7.1.2 plus Interim fix 1 (184.108.40.206.01)
Note: 220.127.116.11 inter-operates with all 7.1.1.x systems, and can be installed in the same way as 7.1.1.x fix packs.
- 7.1.2.x: Install Rational ClearQuest Fix Pack 13 (18.104.22.168) for 7.1.2 plus Interim fix 1 (22.214.171.124.01)
- 8.0.0.x: Install Rational ClearQuest Fix Pack 10 (126.96.36.199) for 8.0 plus Interim fix 1 (188.8.131.52.01)
- 8.0.1.x: Install Rational ClearQuest Fix Pack 3 (184.108.40.206) for 8.0.1 plus Interim fix 1 for (220.127.116.11.01)
Workarounds and Mitigations
You can avoid the issue as follows:
- Avoid using ECDSA certificates (client or server) until you apply the fixes.
- Avoid using SSL operations with ECDSA in perl hooks/scripts until you apply the fixes.
Get Notified about Future Security Bulletins
ReferencesComplete CVSS v2 Guide
On-line Calculator v2
Related informationIBM Secure Engineering Web Portal
IBM Product Security Incident Response Blog
* 22 April 2014: Original copy published
*The CVSS Environment Score is customer environment specific and will ultimately impact the Overall CVSS Score. Customers can evaluate the impact of this vulnerability in their environments by accessing the links in the Reference section of this Security Bulletin.
According to the Forum of Incident Response and Security Teams (FIRST), the Common Vulnerability Scoring System (CVSS) is an "industry open standard designed to convey vulnerability severity and help to determine urgency and priority of response." IBM PROVIDES THE CVSS SCORES "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, INCLUDING THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. CUSTOMERS ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR ASSESSING THE IMPACT OF ANY ACTUAL OR POTENTIAL SECURITY VULNERABILITY.
More support for:
Software version: 7.1.1, 18.104.22.168, 22.214.171.124, 126.96.36.199, 188.8.131.52, 184.108.40.206, 220.127.116.11, 18.104.22.168, 22.214.171.124, 126.96.36.199, 7.1.2, 188.8.131.52, 184.108.40.206, 220.127.116.11, 18.104.22.168, 22.214.171.124, 126.96.36.199, 188.8.131.52, 184.108.40.206, 220.127.116.11, 18.104.22.168, 22.214.171.124, 126.96.36.199, 188.8.131.52, 8.0, 184.108.40.206, 220.127.116.11, 18.104.22.168, 22.214.171.124, 126.96.36.199, 188.8.131.52, 184.108.40.206, 220.127.116.11, 18.104.22.168, 22.214.171.124, 8.0.1, 126.96.36.199, 188.8.131.52, 184.108.40.206
Operating system(s): AIX, HP-UX, Linux, Solaris, Windows
Reference #: 1670905
Modified date: 22 April 2014