Security Bulletin: IBM Security AppScan Enterprise Manual Explorer plugin is affected by the vulnerability in OpenSSL (CVE-2014-0160)
A security vulnerability has been discovered in OpenSSL.
DESCRIPTION: OpenSSL could allow a remote attacker to obtain sensitive information, caused by an error in the TLS/DTLS heartbeat functionality. An attacker could exploit this vulnerability to expose 64k of private memory and retrieve secret keys. This vulnerability can be remotely exploited, authentication is not required and the exploit is not complex. An exploit can only partially affect the confidentially, but not integrity or availability.
CVSS Base Score: 5
CVSS Temporal Score: See https://exchange.xforce.ibmcloud.com/vulnerabilities/92322
CVSS Environmental Score*: Undefined
CVSS Vector: (AV:N/AC:L/Au:N/C:P/I:N/A:N)
Warning: We strongly encourage you to take action as soon as possible as potential implications to your environment may be more serious than indicated by the CVSS score.
Affected Products and Versions
IBM Security AppScan Enterprise 18.104.22.168
IBM Security AppScan Enterprise 22.214.171.124
IBM Security AppScan Enterprise 126.96.36.199
IBM Security AppScan Enterprise 188.8.131.52
The recommended solution is to apply the fix for IBM Security AppScan Enterprise as soon as practical or apply the recommended configuration changes. Please see below for information about the fixes available.
· Apply the iFix corresponding to the version you have installed
|AppScan Enterprise||184.108.40.206||220.127.116.11 iFix-002|
|AppScan Enterprise||18.104.22.168||Upgrade to 9.0.1 or later|
|AppScan Enterprise||22.214.171.124||Upgrade to 9.0.1 or later|
|AppScan Enterprise||126.96.36.199||Upgrade to 9.0.1 or later|
If you are unable to apply the iFix, contact IBM Technical Support.
Workarounds and Mitigations
- In IBM Security AppScan Enterprise, navigate to Administration view and click General Settings. Click the edit button under Enterprise Console Settings. Enable the Disable Manual Explore Plugin checkbox under Enable enhanced security and click the Done button.
- Uninstall the Manual Explorer plugin:
- For Firefox, go the Tools menu, then Add-ons. Under Extensions click the Remove button next to the AppScan Enterprise Manual Explorer Firefox 24 ESR Plugin 900 item.
- For Internet Explorer, go to the Tools menu, then Manage Add-ons. Double-click the IBM Security AppScan Enterprise Manual Explorer Plugin which will open More Information dialog. Click the Remove button at the bottom of this dialog.
- Download and install the IBM Security AppScan Manual Explorer tool:
- Edit any content scan job to which you have access
- Under What to Scan, expand the Manual Explore section and click the +
- On the Manual Explore page, select Use manual explorer tool or AppScan Standard explore file data
- Click the download link and install the Manual Explorer tool
Get Notified about Future Security Bulletins
ReferencesComplete CVSS v2 Guide
On-line Calculator v2
Related informationIBM Secure Engineering Web Portal
IBM Product Security Incident Response Blog
15 April 2014: Original Copy Published
*The CVSS Environment Score is customer environment specific and will ultimately impact the Overall CVSS Score. Customers can evaluate the impact of this vulnerability in their environments by accessing the links in the Reference section of this Security Bulletin.
According to the Forum of Incident Response and Security Teams (FIRST), the Common Vulnerability Scoring System (CVSS) is an "industry open standard designed to convey vulnerability severity and help to determine urgency and priority of response." IBM PROVIDES THE CVSS SCORES "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, INCLUDING THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. CUSTOMERS ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR ASSESSING THE IMPACT OF ANY ACTUAL OR POTENTIAL SECURITY VULNERABILITY.