DB backups and / or snapshots are not expired
DB backups stay in Tivoli Storage Manager server although the backups have exceeded the defined DRMDBBACKUPEXPIREDAYS period.
DRMDBBACKUPEXPIREDAYS applies to both a snapshot and a full plus incremental database backup series. Any type of database backup series is eligible for expiration if all of the following are true:
- The age of the last volume of the series has exceeded the expiration value set by this command.
- For volumes that are not virtual volumes, all volumes in the series are in the VAULT state.
- The volume is not part of the most recent database backup series.
In this case, the issue is the DB Backup volumes are not in VAULT state.
Tivoli Storage Manager Server Disaster Recovery Manager
Diagnosing the problem
- Run the following command to query the expiration days configured.
For example :
DB Backup Series Expiration Days: 5 Day(s)
- Run the following commands to verify the database backups and snapshots that have not yet expired.
QUERY VOLHIST Type=DBB
QUERY VOLHIST Type=DBS
In this case, it showed many database backups and snapshots not expired.
- Run the following commands to verify the mountable state of the backups
QUERY DRM Source=DBBackup
QUERY DRM Source=DBsnapshot
In this case, it showed all tapes were in MOUNTABLE state, instead of VAULT.
Resolving the problem
Use the below steps.
- Run the following command to set the mountable volumes to vault.
MOVE DRM wherestate=mountable tostate=vault
- Verify step 1 is done successfully and run the following commands to verify the DB backups DRM status.
QUERY DRM Source=DBB
QUERY DRM Source=DBS
- Run the following command to expire DB backups:
EXPIRE INV Type=Other
More support for:
Tivoli Storage Manager
Software version: All Supported Versions
Operating system(s): Platform Independent
Reference #: 1584678
Modified date: 01 December 2016