** Troubleshooting ** 'Couldn't connect to source database. Check your settings' when testing source (inside FAP Client)
User launches the FAP Client ("IBM Cognos FAP"), and logs into a FAP database successfully.
User clicks tab "Sources", highlights an existing source and clicks "Edit".
User clicks "Test Connection". An error message appears.
There are several known causes for this message:
- Scenario #1 - Limitation of Controller 10.2.x, when run on 64-bit device, if connecting to Oracle
- Scenario #2 - (Rare) Issue occasionally seen when copying FAP databases between environments, where the password can only be successfully changed/saved directly inside the SQL database.
Resolving the problem
Use the Microsoft .NET utility 'CorFlags.exe' to modify the file 'fapclient.exe' to change its bitness to be 64-bit.
Scenario #2 (rare)
In one real-life example, it was necessary to change the data source details (for example password) directly inside the SQL database table.
1. Launch SQL Management Studio
2. Locate/expand the FAP database
3. Right-click on the table 'NRTR_SOURCE' and choose 'Edit top 200 rows'
4. Modify the relevant details (inside "Password" and "CCRDBUrl" manually"
5. Close the table, to commit the changes.
Translate this page: