Running Notes multi-user on Citrix using a custom data directory install can yield a security error at Notes startup
Notes 8.5.1 introduces the ability to install Notes multi-user on Windows or Citrix with a custom data directory specification. In instances where the installed Notes client is run against a Windows 2008 server, an Internet Explorer Enhanced Security Configuration (IE ESC) error message dialog may appear against "about:security_notes2.exe" when starting Notes.
For example, install Notes multi-user using the default program path and a custom data path as follows:
setup.exe /v"SETMULTIUSER=1 MULTIUSERBASEDIR=C:\temp\!USERNAME! MULTIUSERCOMMONDIR=C:\temp\Common CITRIX=1"
After installation is complete, start Notes. The following dialog appears, indicating that content from the about:security_notes2.exe site is being blocked and prompting you whether to trust the site:
Internet Explorer Enhanced Security Configuration (IE ESC) is a feature of Win2008 server that is enabled by default. The Notes "Getting Started" page URL (about:security_notes2.exe) is being flagged and blocked.
Resolving the problem
You can prevent the trust prompt dialog from appearing during Notes startup using one of the following techniques:
-- (Preferred) Add the flagged URL to the list of trusted sites
1. When the error dialog appears, click Add.
2. In the resultant dialog, click Add to add the "about:security_notes2.exe" URL to the list of trusted sites, and then click Close.
-- (Alternate) Disable Internet Explorer Enhanced Security Configuration (IE ESC)
1. Using an administrator ID, close all instances of Internet Explorer.
2. Click Start > Administrative Tools > Server Manager.
3. If a User Account Control dialog box appears, click Continue.
4. In Security Summary, click Configure IE ESC.
5. In Administrators, click On (Recommended).
6. In Users, click On (Recommended) and click OK
7. Click Off for both Administrators and Users and then click OK.