'ActiveX component can't create object' caused by "FrangoVFP.dll" not registering correctly during the installation procedure
Controller has recently been installed/upgraded. During the testing, users find many issues when using different parts of the Controller system.
* Example#1 - User runs a 'consolidation with status', but receives an error.
* Example#2 - User clicks on 'Maintain - Special Utilities - Verify Structures'. User selects 'Check Rules for Automatic Journals'. User clicks on 'preview'. User receives error message.
Description: System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapException: Server was unable to process request. ---> System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException
(0x800A01AD): ActiveX component can't create object (Error occurred within method=RunConsol in the module with progid=FrMiscBT.ConsBusinessT)
at FrBatchBT.clsBatchTClass.Batch(String sGuid, .....
IBM Cognos 8 Controller
Unhandled exception has occurred in a component in your
application. If you click Continue, the application will ignore this error
and attempt to continue.
Argument 'Number' is not a valid value.
See the end of this message for details on invoking
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.
************** Exception Text **************
System.ArgumentException: Argument 'Number' is not a valid value.
When running Reconcile - Intercompany balances
There are several possible causes for similar symptoms.
This Technote specifically relates the scenario where the cause is that the COM+ component 'FrangoVFP.dll' (VFPCOM.COMUTIL) is not working correctly. Since this one component is used for many different functions/processes inside Controller, this will cause many different issues.
- TIP: For more information, see separate IBM Technote #1459580.
Diagnosing the problem
One of the side effects of this problem is that it will cause the Frangovfp.cglobvar and Frangovfp.main objects to not be registered correctly. As a consequence, you may get the following error when you open/expand the COM+ application (located inside 'Administrative Tools - Component Services' on the application server) called "IBMCOGNOSCONTROLLER" (which is called "COGNOSCONTROLLER" for older versions of Controller):
Some object properties could not be read due to the following errors:
Frangovfp.cglobvar Object was not found in registry
Frangovfp.main Object was not found in registry
After clicking OK:
You may need to reinstall this component to restore the required registry settings.
Resolving the problem
Perform the following actions:
- Ensure that msvcr71.dll is registered in Windows
- Ensure that the VFP dll files are registered
- Manually register frangovfp.dll
1. Log on to the Controller application server as an administrator.
2. Browse to your server folder
- TIP: By default, this is here: C:\Program Files\ibm\cognos\ccr_64\server
3. Copy the file ' msvcr71.dll' and paste it into this folder: c:\windows\ SysWOW64
4. Right-click on 'Start' and choose 'Command Prompt (admin)':
5. Type the following commands:
7. Expand 'Computers - My Computer - COM+ Applications - IBM Cognos Controller Consolidation - Components'
TIP: If an error appears:
- acknowledge the error
- locate and highlight (select) the following 2 components: 'frangovfp.cglobvar' and 'frangovfp.main'
- Right-click on these 2 components, and choose 'delete'
8. Highlight the subfolder 'components'.
9. Click on 'Action - New', and follow the wizard to 'Install New Components'.
10. Browse to the location of 'frangovfp.dll' to add it.
- TIP: By default, this is located here: C:\Program Files\ibm\cognos\ccr_64\server\frangovfp.dll
More support for:
Software version: 10.1.1, 10.2.0, 10.2.1, 10.3
Operating system(s): Windows
Software edition: Not Applicable
Reference #: 1347488
Modified date: 05 October 2017