HMC V8 network installation images and installation instructions
Upgrading or installing HMC V8 over a network
1. Check for information on release specific upgrade instructions and known restrictions by reviewing the release notes in the README on Fix Central.
2. (Optional) Download the appropriate HMC V8 network images and put them on a local FTP server.
HMC network installation files can be obtained at http://www14.software.ibm.com/webapp/set2/sas/f/netinstall/home.html
ftp://public.dhe.ibm.com/software/server/hmc/network/v8<release directory> where <release directory> is the release number (for example .../v8810 is for HMC V8R8.1.0).
Information on the file sizes and checksum can also be found in the readme on fix central.
The following files are required for upgrading or installing HMC V8 over a network.
|img3a||Ram Disk file system|
|disk1.img||Base HMC Image and Service Documentation|
Download via anonymous FTP
If your HMC firewall does not allow FTP to external sites then you must download (or copy) the image files to a server that accepts FTP requests. Follow these instructions at a command line to use the anonymous FTP process to download all network install images simultaneously.
ftp> open public.dhe.ibm.com
ftp> cd /software/server/hmc/network/v8<release directory>/
ftp> prompt (turns off interactive mode)
ftp> bin (ensures binary transfer mode)
ftp> mget * (downloads all five files simultaneously)
ftp> bye (exits FTP after all files have been downloaded)
Remote upgrade using network images
This method uses network upgrade images to upgrade an HMC from a remote location. Before upgrading, check the target release readme file for information on supported upgrade path and special upgrade notes.
Follow these basic steps.
NOTE: Skip step #1 if the HMC can access the IBM FTP site directly.
1. Verify that the following files have been downloaded to the local FTP server:
img2a, img3a, base.img, disk1.img and hmcnetworkfiles.sum
2. On the HMC, you must first save upgrade data by running the following commands:
- To save data to both usb and disk, insert a USB key into the HMC usb port:
saveupgdata -r diskusb
- To save to disk alone:
saveupgdata -r disk
3. Next, run the getupgfiles command to copy the network image files over to the bootable disk partition on the HMC.
getupgfiles -h public.dhe.ibm.com -u anonymous --passwd anonymous -d /software/server/hmc/network/v8<release directory>
or if the files are on a local FTP server
getupgfiles -h <FTP server> -u <user id> --passwd <pwd> -d <directory>
4. After the files are copied over, run the following command to set the HMC to do the next reboot from the special bootable disk partition on the hard drive where the downloaded network files are stored :
chhmc -c altdiskboot -s enable --mode upgrade
Now the HMC is ready to be rebooted and automatically upgraded with the code copied to the bootable disk partition.
5. Finally, issue the hmcshutdown -r -t now command to reboot the HMC and start the upgrade.
6. After the HMC upgrade completes, apply the required fixes. See Fix Central for latest fix information.
More support for:
Software version: Version Independent
Operating system(s): Platform Independent
Reference #: N1020108
Modified date: 31 January 2018