Server Startup and Installation Fail for WebSphere Portal Express due to Invalid License File
Starting October 1, 2018, attempts to start/restart the server on WebSphere Portal Express 8.5 or 9.0 or deploy new installations will fail with errors CLFBD0026E, CLFBD0030E due to an invalid license file (wpe85.lic).
Starting October 1st, 2018, attempts to start/restart the server on WebSphere Portal Express 8.5 or 9.0 will fail with the following error in SystemOut.log:
CLFBD0026E: The product IBM WebSphere Portal Express does not have a valid license key installed and the evaluation period has expired. Functions specific to this product are not enabled.
CLFBD0030E: Caught error, message: Past the expiration date on license.
Similarly, attempts to install the product will also fail as follows:
A review of the installation logs will show the same CLFBD0026E and CLFBD0030E errors.
The cause of this issue is an invalid license duration in the license file (wpe85.lic).
This issue impacts both trial (evaluation) and non-trial versions of WebSphere Portal Express 8.5 and 9.0.
APAR PH03610 has been created for this issue. Download the fix from Fix Central and follow the Readme instructions to install the fix and run the subsequent ConfigEngine task to implement the solution.
To address a server startup failure, remove the License Check application via the following steps:
1. Replace the existing file of the same name with the following: lc_adv_cfg.xml
where <PortalHome> represents the installed location. By default, this is:
* Windows: C:\IBM\WebSphere\PortalServer
* Linux: /opt/IBM/WebSphere/PortalServer
* IBM i: /QIBM/ProdData/WebSphere/PortalServer/V85/Express
2. In the ConfigEngine directory of your Portal profile, run the following ConfigEngine task:
* Windows: ConfigEngine.bat action-remove-ear-wp.exp.wart/lcComponent -DWasPassword=<Was_admin-password>
* Linux: ./ConfigEngine.sh action-remove-ear-wp.exp.wart/lcComponent -DWasPassword=<Was_admin-password>
* IBM i: ConfigEngine.sh action-remove-ear-wp.exp.wart/lcComponent -DWasPassword=<Was_admin-password>
The server should now start successfully.
To address a failed installation:
1. Temporarily reset the system clock for the operating system to a date prior to Oct 1, 2018.
2. Install the product.
3. Run through the steps above to remove the License Check application and avoid any subsequent server startup failures.
4. Reset system clock back to current date.
Web Content Manager
More support for:
Software version: 8.5, 9.0
Operating system(s): IBM i, Linux, Windows
Software edition: Express
Reference #: 0733867
Modified date: 08 October 2018
Translate this page: