This document describes the product management functions that MVS provides: measured usage and product registration.
For measured usage, SMF collects resource usage data (primarily CPU time) on an MVS system for any product that has identified itself and registered with SMF. The collected information, summarized by product version for an interval, is written in SMF record type 89 subtype 1 at specified intervals. (Some similar information is written in SMF record type 30 based on the SMF interval, but type 30 records include only the address space level information; system level information about a product appears only in record type 89.)
For product registration, SMF collects data for any product that has registered with MVS — identified itself and indicated that it is running on the system. The collected information, summarized by product for an interval, is written in SMF record type 89 subtype 2 at specified intervals. Optional elements that register with the system can be dynamically enabled.
This document is organized as follows:
- Usage Accounting — provides guidance information for measured usage accounting.
- Product Registration and Enablement — provides guidance information for product registration.
- Reporting Product Information — describes how to use IFAURP, the reporting program for product management.
- Usage Pricing Examples — contains multiple examples of how to use IFAURP for measured usage license charges.
- Appendix A. 'Type-Model' Values for IBM and Non-IBM Processors — lists the supported IBM and non-IBM type and model values.
- Appendix B. IFAURP Program Exit — describes the IFAURP program exit.