This web site contains information to help you use the IBM System x and Cluster Solutions configurator (x-config). x-config, intended for IBM Sales teams and authorized IBM Business Partners, is a full-function, globally available, proposal and configuration tool with options to configure solutions with Cluster support ON or OFF. x-config is not a design tool, however, x-config allows users to:
- Translate user designs into configurations that can be priced, ordered, and built
- Configure multiple product lines in a single tool
- View system diagrams to review expansion options, explore configuration alternatives and validate solution level characteristics
- View list prices as the configuration is being constructed
- Collapse like systems in readable outputs
x-config is a stand-alone application that runs on a workstation once it has been installed. x-config requires an internet connection to install or refresh the version. Users should always accept the optional update when offered.
>x-config supports the following products (high level):
- iDataPlex and Intelligent Cluster
- Flex Systems CTO (integrated by IBM)
- Integrated Solutions, via the Express graphical user interface and via the “No-option solutions” list
- General racking (available via General Purpose)
- System x day of announce (DOA) and maintenance in support of above
Specifically, x-config supports:
- Items that are defined by the Brand as outlined in the T1 and T3 templates/rules
- Tower servers (M4 and newer), rack servers, blade centers, blade servers, iDataPlex, NeXtScale, network switches, network consoles, racks, PDUs, UPS, system storage (all as outlined by the Brand)
- ITS and Lab services, and IBM and third party software
- Switch support is provided in “Cluster ON”, while in “Cluster OFF” it can be added as an extra item and has limited availability.
- Point-to-point(P2P) cabling is provided in “Cluster ON”
x-config does NOT support:
Cluster support ON vs Cluster support OFF
With Cluster Support ON, users can configure the following cluster solution groups:
… in either of the following modes:
- Express graphical user interface to simplify cluster solution configurations: Start with a single screen displaying configuration options for a templated solution and modify as needed
- Custom: Create a new cluster from scratch
With Cluster Support OFF, users can configure simple to complex configurations of System x, BladeCenter, Flex Systems products and solutions:
- Racked configurations to be fulfilled by IBM
- Configurable products (for example blades, servers, chassis) with options integrated by IBM (configure to order, CTO)
- Rules-based configurations
- Non-racked solutions
Note: For preconfigured models and uninstalled compatible options or individual parts or for racked solutions to be fulfilled by a Distributor, use the Standalone Solutions Configuration Tool (SSCT).
Workstation requirements lists the hardware and software requirements for x-config. Install/Update provides information on installing and updating x-config. Help & Support contains release notes, education including Web lectures, FAQs and help desk support information.
Click here to receive emails with the latest configurator updates.