Setting Maximum Heap Size for IBM Support Assistant Team Server 5 Heap Analysis Tools
Heap dump analysis tools need a large amount of memory to analyze heap dumps that are very large and sometimes the default heap size isn't large enough. IBM Support Assistant Team Server 5 provides ways to set the maximum heap size for the various editions of its heap dump analysis tools.
Sometimes java.lang.OutOfMemoryError (OOM) exceptions occur when analyzing large heap dumps with the IBM Support Assistant Team Server 5 heap dump analysis tools. They include:
- HeapAnalyzer [Desktop]
- Memory Analyzer [Desktop]
- Memory Analyzer [Report]
- Memory Analyzer [Web]
Often the solution to OOM exceptions is to increase the maximum heap size for these tools. The methods for doing so are different for the various tool editions.
Report and Web tool configuration
Many problem determination tools available for IBM Support Assistant allow customization. These tools include properties files that you can edit to change the default behavior.
For example, follow these steps to increase the maximum heap size for Memory Analyzer [Report].
- Open a command window, shell, or file system browser on the system running IBM Support Assistant Team Server 5.
- Copy <install_dir>/ISA5/ToolBox/com.ibm.java.diagnostics.memory.analyzer/com.ibm.java.diagnostics.memory.analyzer.properties to <install_dir>/ISA5/ToolBox/properties.
- Edit <install_dir>/ISA5/ToolBox/properties/com.ibm.java.diagnostics.memory.analyzer.properties. You will see a property named jvm.args.
- Increase the value of the -Xmx argument. For example, increase the default -Xmx2048M to -Xmx4096M and then save the file.
- If you changed property values for the Web edition of Memory Analyzer, then restart IBM Support Assistant Team Server to load the updated property values.
The next time you analyze a heap dump the new maximum heap size will be used.
Desktop tool configuration
Beginning with IBM Support Assistant Team Server 5.0.1 you can customize the minimum and maximum heap sizes for desktop tools each time you launch them from the Tools tab. Follow these steps:
- Start a session with IBM Support Assistant Team Server.
- Click the Tools tab.
- Select a desktop tool from the list of tools.
- Click the "Launch" button above the tool details. A dialog opens with fields to set the minimum and maximum heap sizes.
- Set the minimum and maximum heap size values in MB.
- Click the "Launch" button on the dialog to start the tool.
Have questions or comments? You can post them to the IBM Support Assistant forum.
Have an idea for a new feature? You can open a Request for Enhancement.
|Application Servers||Runtimes for Java Technology||Out of Memory|
|Application Servers||Runtimes for Java Technology||Debugging Tools|
More support for:
IBM Support Assistant
Software version: 5.0, 5.0.1
Operating system(s): AIX, Linux, Windows
Software edition: TeamServer
Reference #: 7040548
Modified date: 11 June 2014
Translate this page: