This white paper provides information on upgrading the IBM Rational DOORS integration when changing from Microsoft Team Foundation Server 2010 to 2012.
Author: Krupa Gunhalkar
Table of Contents:
IBM Rational DOORS is a requirements management solution. DOORS integration with Microsoft Team Foundation Server (TFS) has a great deal of flexibility for Team Foundation and Microsoft Visual Studio users, The integration helps users with gathering, organizing, managing, and analyzing requirements.
Normally, analysts can follow the requirements traceability from DOORS to design, implementations, test cases, results, bugs, and so on. The DOORS TFS Integration enables the driving of Visual Studio development from requirements managed in DOORS. This integration also helps in manual and automatic synchronization of the links between both of these products, which helps with managing the up to date requirements and simplifies traceability.
You can carry out the upgrade of the DOORS TFS integration from TFS 2010 to TFS 2012 with the manageable steps provided in this white paper. The purpose of this document is to help with the upgrade process and guide you in the appropriate order of steps.
Note: This document assumes you have a preexisting, working DOORS TFS 2010 integration with appropriate licenses for all products.
- Upgrade the TFS 2010 server to TFS 2012 server on the server operating system.
- Verify that after the server upgrade of TFS 2010 to TFS 2012 the integration still works successfully with all the work items. Also verify the links are intact.
- On a client operating system, upgrade Visual Studio Professional Edition 2010 to Visual Studio Professional Edition 2012.
- Upgrade the DOORS TFS add-on.
- After the Visual Studio upgrade, verify the integration still works successfully with the work items being displayed intact with all the DOORS Links.
- Upgrade the previous version of DOORS server on the server operating system to the latest version..
- Verify that after the DOORS server upgrade the integration works without any errors. Also verify that all the modules and data in DOORS is intact.
- Upgrade DOORS client on the client operating system.
- Verify that after the DOORS client and DOORS TFS add-on is upgraded, the integration works successfully without error.
TFS upgrade process
1. Uninstall TFS 2010.
2. Install TFS 2012.
3. Launch the Administration Console / Configuration Center for the upgrade configuration.
4. Proceed through the upgrade process as shown in figure 1.
Figure 1: Configuration Center
5. Click on the Start Wizard button.
6. Once the wizard starts, you see a message to confirm backing up the existing TFS databases in use.
7. Click Configure.
Figure 2 : Readiness Check
8. You can see the database backup process as seen in figure 3a and figure 3b.
Figure 3a : Backup TFS Databases
Figure 3b : Backup TFS Databases
9. Once the TFS database backup completes, a readiness check occurs to confirm the validity of the required components for the configuration.
10. If the existing database has a missing service pack, the readiness check will communicate this to you as seen in figure 4.
Figure 4 : Upgrade Readiness Check With Error
10. Install the required service pack for Microsoft SQL Server and continue with the wizard as shown in figure 5.
Figure 5 : SQL Server Upgrade in Progress
11. The upgrade process for SQL Server is as shown in figure 5 and the rest of the components upgrade carries on as shown in figure 6 and figure 7.
Figure 6: Project Collection Upgrade
Figure 7: Upgrade Completed Successfully
12. After the Project Collection completes, you see a successful result as shown in figure 8.
Figure 8: Upgrade Complete Confirmation
13. Click the Close button.
Figure 9: Close the Wizard
14. Click the Close button again to complete the upgrade process.
15. Restart the computer as required.
DOORS TFS add-on upgrade
Make sure you accomplish these prerequisites before upgrading the DOORS TFS add-on:
- Unistall Visual Studio 2010
- Uninstall Power Tools for TFS 2010
- Install Visual Studio 2012
- Install Power Tools for TFS 2012
Once you complete these tasks, you can carry on with the upgrade.
1. Uninstall the previous version of the DOORS TFS add-on. If you try to install the new version without unstalling the existing version, you see this error, also shown in figure 10:
Previous Version of DOORS TFS Integration is installed on this system. Please un-install previous version and try again.
2. Install the latest available version of the DOORS TFS add-on.
3. Once the installation is complete, navigate to this folder
C:\Program Files (x86)\IBM\Rational\DOORS_TFS\Migration
4. Run the Migration.exe program.
5. Click the OK button when you see the message shown in figure 11.
Figure 11: Migration Process Confirmation
6. In the window shown in figure 12, provide the information for the TFS 2012 server that you upgraded from version 2012.
7. Click the Next button.
Figure 12: DOORS TFS Migration Wizard
8. Click the Migrate button as shown in figure 13.
Figure 13: Start Migration
9. Click the Yes button to answer the prompt shown in figure 14.
Figure 14: Confirm Migration
10. The DOORS client launches.
11 . Provide your DOORS login credentials and see the migration process in progression as shown in figures 15 and 16.
Figure 15: DOORS Login Window
Figure 16: Migration in Progress
12. Click the OK button.
Figure 17: Migration Completed
13. Click the Close button to close the migration wizard.
Figure 18: Close the Migration Wizard.
Figure 19: Connect to TFS 2012
14. Launch Visual Studio 2012.
15. Click the Connect to Team Foundation Server option on the start page. Alternatively, you can go menu option TEAM > Connect to Team Foundation Server.
16. Once the you connect to the TFS server, run the Tasks query.
Figure 20: Work items list displayed after running the Tasks Query
17. You can see all the preexisting work items and their corresponding links to the DOORS objects.
18. After running Migration.exe, you can manually synchronize, schedule the synchronization, and navigate the work item links.
THE INFORMATION CONTAINED IN THIS DOCUMENT IS PROVIDED FOR INFORMATIONAL PURPOSES ONLY. WHILE EFFORTS WERE MADE TO VERIFY THE COMPLETENESS AND ACCURACY OF THE INFORMATION CONTAINED IN THIS DOCUMENT, IT IS PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED. IN ADDITION, THIS INFORMATION IS BASED ON IBM’S CURRENT PRODUCT PLANS AND STRATEGY, WHICH ARE SUBJECT TO CHANGE BY IBM WITHOUT NOTICE. IBM SHALL NOT BE RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGES ARISING OUT OF THE USE OF, OR OTHERWISE RELATED TO, THIS DOCUMENT OR ANY OTHER DOCUMENTATION. NOTHING CONTAINED IN THIS DOCUMENT IS INTENDED TO, NOR SHALL HAVE THE EFFECT OF, CREATING ANY WARRANTIES OR REDOCUMENTS FROM IBM (OR ITS SUPPLIERS OR LICENSORS), OR ALTERING THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF ANY AGREEMENT OR LICENSE GOVERNING THE USE OF IBM PRODUCTS OR SOFTWARE.
Always make new database backups prior to performing database upgrades. Failure to create backup copies can limit your ability to recover from a an upgrade failure, change issues or other unforeseen failures.
Original publication date