The mark occurrences action in the editor locates related language elements in the editor. If Mark
Occurrences is enabled, you can select an element in the code and other instances are highlighted.
About this task
The language elements highlighted are defined by the Mark Occurrences preference.
To disable mark occurrences editing, click Mark Occurrences in the toolbar. This action is enabled by default.
Note: The mark occurrence and search occurrence actions are similar in that both provide a method to locate related language elements. However, there are several differences:
- Results of performing a search occurrences are included in the Search view along with being highlighted in the editor. The results of a mark occurrence action are included in the editor only.
- The results of a search occurrences include occurrences in copy members, include members, and identified preprocessor statements. These occurrences are not provided in the mark occurrence results.
- The mark occurrence action is limited to elements selected on the Mark Occurrences preference.
1. Ensure that the Mark Occurrences action is enabled in the editor task bar.
2. Focus the cursor on an element. Other instances of the elements are highlighted as follows:
- Write instances are highlighted in orange.
- Read instances are highlighted in gray.