Have you ever wanted to know about IBM Integration Bus (IIB) or WebSphere Message Broker (WMB) migration Best Practices and have a technical lead to guide you through the process?
IBM Support is pleased to offer our clients Migration Assist (MA) beginning 15 September 2013. MA is provided by the WMB/IIB Level 2 Support team to clients planning a WMB 6.x to 8.0 or IIB 9.0 migration. The Level 2 MA Lead will provide migration guidance, best practices, lessons learned, and answer your migration questions.
1. What is IBM Migration Assist (MA)?
The Migration Assist activity is an extension of your current Subscription and Support (S&S) contract at no additional cost. Compared with IBM reactive support, MA provides proactive assistance to help IBM clients achieve business objectives, minimize risks and maximize return on investment. IBM Level 2 Support will:
- Draw on the experience gained from supporting previous client migrations.
- Provide recommendations, share knowledge and experiences.
- Identify potential risks.
- Provide advice on best practices and known issues.
- Point to the technical documentation on migration planning and implementation.
- Field client questions that arise as you work through the WMB migration.
2. The Scope of IBM Migration Assist
MA is available for the following environment:
- MA activity will focus on one client environment.
- MA content and discussions are currently offered in English.
- MA is provided under the terms of your current International Passport Advantage Agreement with IBM.
MA is an extension of IBM Product Support.
It is important to clarify that MA:
- Does utilize the standard Support PMR processes to troubleshoot problems.
- Any problems that require investigation will be handled through a separate PMR per the normal PMR process.
- Does not replace existing programs such as Services or Accelerated Value Program.
- Does not assist with application or architecture design, business logic, client data, error analysis, environment setup, performance tuning, or system health check to complete the migration. (Note: These items are more suitable for a services engagement.)
- Maximum length of MA activity is 60 days.
3. Migration Assist Client Engagement Process
The following are the steps of the MA Activity.
Step 1: Client reviews online knowledge page
The IBM Integration Bus and WebSphere Message Broker FAQ for Migration page contains a useful collection of documentation that is specific to migration. This includes a list of Frequently Asked Questions and answers. If the client is unable to find an answer to their questions on that page, they will be instructed to perform the actions detailed in Step 2.
Step 2: Client requests Migration Assist by opening a PMR and submitting the attached completed migration questionnaire for each environment
Migration Assist Questionnaire.doc
Once you agree that MA is a good fit for your organization then a MA Reference PMR should be opened. Follow the same process that you would normally follow when opening a service request for WMB or IIB.. When opening a MA Reference PMR, include the attached questionnaire. This collects migration information, including projected schedules, product information, and environment. The Reference PMR may be used to exchange information about the MA activity and for you to ask questions about the migration documentation and processes. The MA Reference PMR shall be closed by the MA Lead within 2 months.
Step 3: IBM provides migration documentation overview
After collecting the related migration questionnaire information, the MA Lead will draw on IBM Level 2’s experience and provide you with information covering recommendations, experiences, risks, advice on best practices, and known issues. If you have questions about any of the migration documentation or processes, you may update the Reference PMR for the MA Lead’s attention. This allows you to ask multiple questions to the analyst who has the background of your migration.
Step 4: Client provides MA feedback through a post-migration assist survey
Within 60 days, the MA Lead will ask you to complete the attached survey to receive your input about the MA Activity. We will utilize your response to evaluate the effectiveness and continuance of Migration Assist.
4. How to Contact IBM to request Migration Assist
IBM Clients may open a separate MA Reference PMR for each environment they are migrating. Please include a completed questionnaire form with each PMR. The MA lead will contact you to answer questions about the MA activity or other migration resources that IBM provides.
|Business Integration||WebSphere Message Broker||Migration||AIX, HP-UX, Linux, Solaris, Windows||8.0, 7.0, 6.1||All Editions|
WMB MB WebSphere Message Broker IBM Integration Bus IIB IBMIB MQ Integrator WBIMB WBI-MB MQSI WMQI