IBM Content Search Services fails to start on Windows Server 2008
When installed as a service on Windows Server 2008, IBM Content Search Services fails to start if the service account does not have the “Log on as a service” local policy right.
The FileNet P8 Information Center topic Creating the IBM Content Search Services operating system account needs to state that if you want the css_os_user account to run IBM Content Search Services as a service on Windows Server 2008, then you must grant this account the "Log on as a service" local policy right prior to running the IBM Content Search Services installation program.
When you run the IBM Content Search Services installation program on Windows Server 2008 and choose to install it as a Windows service, you can then choose the service to be run either by the LocalSystem account or by an existing user account, css_os_user. In either case the installation program creates the service and customizes the account user and password.
If you choose the LocalSystem account, the installation program grants the account the “Log on as a service” local policy right, and the service starts successfully.
If you choose css_os_user to run the service, and you did not specifically grant this account the “Log on as a service” local policy right prior to starting the installation program, the service fails to start, The Windows system event log, but not the installation log, states the reason.
If the service fails to start, complete the following steps for the account that you chose to run the service:
- Log on to the Window server as the css_install_user (see Creating the IBM Content Search Services installer account).
- Open the Services application (by running the Services.msc command, for example).
- Select and right-click the CSS Server service, and then choose Properties.
- Click the Log On tab, and click This account.
- Enter the user and password for the account. Windows then grants the account the “Log on as a service” right.
- Click the General tab and then click Start to start the service.
More support for:
FileNet Content Manager
Content Search Services
Software version: 5.1.0
Operating system(s): AIX, HP-UX, Linux, Solaris, Windows
Software edition: All Editions
Reference #: 7036994
Modified date: 2013-02-19