IMS Enterprise Suite SOAP Gateway FAQs
This document provides a list of frequently asked questions (FAQs), and their answers, related to downloading, installing, migrating, and using IBM® IMS™ Enterprise Suite SOAP Gateway.
- System requirements and compatibility
- Tooling support
- Documentation and samples
Q: What versions of IMS work with IMS Enterprise Suite SOAP Gateway?
A: IMS Enterprise Suite V3.2 SOAP Gateway supports IMS 14, IMS 13, and IMS 12. IMS Enterprise Suite V3.1 went out of service on November 7, 2016 ( EoS announcement).
Q: What's new in IMS Enterprise Suite SOAP Gateway?
A: For a list of new features in IMS Enterprise Suite V3.2 SOAP Gateway, see the New features in IMS Enterprise Suite Version 3.2 SOAP Gateway topic in the IBM® Knowledge Center. For each new feature, its information impact, with direct links to the new and changed topics, is provided. See the Information impact by feature topic for related concepts, tasks, and reference information.
Note: IMS SOAP Gateway is no longer enhanced. See the statement of direction in IBM United States Software Announcement 216-048. Customers interested in enhanced SOAP capabilities may want to consider other options such as Ivory Service Architect, offered by IBM Business Partner GT Software.
Q: How do I find out what is fixed and when the fix is available?
A: The SOAP Gateway online readme file provides the up-to-date information for the latest code update, detailing issues addressed and known issues and workarounds:
- IMS Enterprise Suite V3.2 SOAP Gateway release notes
- IMS Enterprise Suite V3.1 SOAP Gateway release notes
Q: How do I upgrade to the latest version of IMS Enterprise Suite SOAP Gateway?
A: IMS Enterprise Suite Version 3.2 SOAP Gateway provides a migration tool that migrates you existing web services and server properties from Version 3.1 to Version 3.2. If you are still on Version 2.2, you will need to:
- Install V3.1 SOAP Gateway and migrate your web services and server properties to V3.1 by following the steps described in Migrating from IMS Enterprise Suite Version 2.2 SOAP Gateway.
- Then install V3.2 and migrate from V3.1 to V3.2 by following the steps described in Migrating from IMS Enterprise Suite Version 3.1 SOAP Gateway.
Q: What kind of administrative tools does IMS Enterprise Suite SOAP Gateway provide?
A: IMS Enterprise Suite Version SOAP Gateway comes with a management utility for managing and configuring the server. You can use the management utility to automate frequent tasks or even combine multiple commands in a batch script. See the SOAP Gateway management utility reference in the information center for features and tasks supported by the utility, command syntax, and command examples.
Q: Is there any tooling available for IMS Enterprise Suite SOAP Gateway that helps generate the necessary web artifacts or XML converters?
A: IBM® Developer for z Systems (formerly known as Rational® Developer for System z) provides a wizard that lets you generate the artifacts that are needed to enable your IMS applications as web service providers or consumers.
You can download the trial version of IBM Developer for z Systems for an evaluation period of 90 days from https://developer.ibm.com/mainframe/products/ibm-developer-for-z-systems-enterprise-edition/
Q: What version of Rational Developer for System z do I need?
A: For both V3.2 and V3.1 SOAP Gateway, Rational Developer for System z V9.0.1 or later is required for:
- Generating correlator files
- SOAP Gateway correlator schema is at version 3.0. Only Rational Developer for System z V9.0.1 or later supports version 3.0 schema.
- To migrate older versions of the correlator files to version 3.0, use the SOAP Gateway management utility
iogmgmt -migrate correlatorcommand to migrate the correlator files. For more information, see:
- Top-down provider scenario that generates a PL/I application from a web service WSDL file for IMS V12 or later.
- The generated application is based on a set of segmentation APIs. In Rational Developer for System z V9.0.1 or later, the APIs are moved to IMS via IMS V12 APAR PM97469 and IMS V13 APAR PI17898. The previous IRZPWSIO segmentation APIs are renamed to DFSPWSIO in IMS. The IRZPWSH include file is renamed to DFSPWSH in IMS.
- For more information about the top-down scenario, see:
Q: Where is the IMS Enterprise Suite SOAP Gateway documentation located?
A: The IMS Enterprise Suite documentation is available in the IBM Knowledge Center at:
Q: Are there any samples for IMS Enterprise Suite SOAP Gateway?
A: Samples and other technotes for SOAP Gateway can be found on the IMS Exchange site. The samples demonstrate the end-to-end process for various usage scenarios, including how to enable Web Services Security (WS-Security) with user name tokens or Security Assertion Markup Language (SAML) 1.1 sender-vouches token, and how an IMS application can issue synchronous and asynchronous callout requests to web services through SOAP Gateway.
Q: Does IMS Enterprise Suite SOAP Gateway support conversational transactions? Are there any limitations that I should be aware of?
A: For a complete list of restrictions, see the SOAP Gateway restrictions topic in the information center:
Q: Where can I download IMS Enterprise Suite SOAP Gateway?
A: You can no longer download IMS SOAP Gateway. IMS Enterprise Suite V3.1 is the last release that supports IMS SOAP Gateway on Windows or Linux on System z, and V3.1 is out of service. IMS Enterprise Suite V3.2 supports SOAP Gateway on Z only, and you must order IMS Enterprise Suite V3.2 through Shopz.
More support for:
IMS Enterprise Suite
Component: SOAP Gateway, ">More...
Software version: 3.1, 3.2
Operating system(s): Linux, Windows, z/OS
Reference #: 7017111
Modified date: 23 August 2018
Translate this page: