Migrate to IBM Cognos BI.
For the Series 7 customers wanting to move to the latest version IBM Cognos Business Intelligence the migration experience carries forward from Cognos Business Intelligence 8.4, essentially as is.
While many documents providing guidance for planning and performing a migration make reference to "Cognos 8", the same techniques apply for migration to Cognos Business Intelligence Version 10.
Unless otherwise noted, functionally described as applying to "Cognos 8" will continue to operate as it did in previous versions. Functionality and conformance points new to Cognos 10 will be specifically called out as applicable to this release.
- Further Resources
Making changes to a business-critical enterprise system requires careful planning.
Cognos recommends that customers who migrate from IBM Cognos Series 7 to IBM Cognos Business Intelligence PowerPlay follow these proven practices to ensure success:
- Build new applications in IBM Cognos Business Intelligence to learn about IBM Cognos Business Intelligence features.
- Migrate active PowerPlay 7 applications and users to IBM Cognos BI PowerPlay.
- Set up interoperability between IBM Cognos Series 7 applications (other than PowerPlay) and IBM Cognos BI.
- Gradually migrate other IBM Cognos Series 7 applications and users to IBM Cognos BI.
Discuss the complete IBM Cognos Series 7 application migration process and how to best approach it with a Cognos Migration Specialist. Use these links to request IBM Cognos Migration Tools downloads:
- Cognos BI Migration Tools 10.1.1
- Cognos BI Migration Tools 10.1
- Cognos 8 BI Migration Tools 8.4.1
- Cognos 8 BI Migration Tools 8.4
- Cognos 8 BI Migration Tools 8.3
IBM Cognos PowerPlay includes a migration assistant to migrate Series 7 PowerPlay content to IBM Cognos PowerPlay – migration tools are not required.
IBM Cognos BI PowerPlay migration resources
- Migration to Cognos 10
- IBM Cognos Series 7 Refresher - Terms You Need to Know for Migration to IBM Cognos BI
- Planning a Migration from Series 7 to IBM Cognos BI 10.1.1 | 10.1 | 8.4.1
- Using Cognos Series 7 and IBM Cognos BI in the Same Environment 10.1.1 | 10.1 | 8.4.1
- Installation and Configuration Guide 10.1.1 | 10.1 | 8.4.1
- Migration Tools User Guide 10.1.1 | 10.1 | 8.4.1
- Fix List 10.1.1 | 10.1 | 8.4.1
- Migration Tools Samples 10.1.1 | 10.1 | 8.4.1
- Cognos BI 10.1.1 Software Environments
- Cognos BI 10.1 Software Environments
- Cognos 8 BI 8.4.1 Software Environments
- Cognos 8 BI 8.4 Software Environments
- Cognos 8 BI 8.3 Software Environments
- Migration and Upgrade Tools Software Environments (8.4)
- Migration and Upgrade Tools Software Environments (10.1 and 10.1.1)
- IBM Cognos BI Migration Rapid Assessment Service (PDF)
- IBM Cognos BI Migration Services (PDF)
- IBM Cognos BI Report Migration Offshore Service (PDF)
- Migration Roadmap, part of the Cognos Solutions Implementation Methodology
- IBM Cognos Series 7 Refresher - Terms You Need to Know for Migration to IBM Cognos BI (PDF)
- IBM Cognos 8.4 BI Training Paths
Original publication date
|Business Analytics||Cognos 8 Business Intelligence||Migration Tools||AIX, HP-UX, HP Itanium, Linux, Solaris, Windows||8.4.1, 8.4, 8.3||All Editions|
Rate this page:
Copyright and trademark information
IBM, the IBM logo and ibm.com are trademarks of International Business Machines Corp., registered in many jurisdictions worldwide. Other product and service names might be trademarks of IBM or other companies. A current list of IBM trademarks is available on the Web at "Copyright and trademark information" at www.ibm.com/legal/copytrade.shtml.