Supported hardware configuration options for z/Transaction Processing Facility (z/TPF) Enterprise Edition V1.1
z/Transaction Processing Facility Enterprise Edition V1.1
The following information describes the minimum hardware requirements for the z/Transaction Processing Facility (z/TPF) system and z/Transaction Processing Facility Database Facility (z/TPFDF) product.
The z/TPF system supports the following servers:
- IBM® eServer™ zSeries 800
- IBM eServer zSeries 890
- IBM eServer zSeries 900
- IBM eServer zSeries 990
- IBM System z9® Business Class (z9® BC)
- IBM System z9 Enterprise Class (z9 EC), formerly the IBM System z9 109 (z9 109)
- IBM System z10® Business Class (z10™ BC)
- IBM System z10 Enterprise Class (z10 EC)
- IBM zEnterprise® 114 (z114)
- IBM zEnterprise 196 (z196)
- IBM zEnterprise EC12 (zEC12)
- IBM zEnterprise BC12 (zBC12)
Note: To use High Performance FICON® for System z® (zHPF) support, you must have a System z10 server at driver level 76 or later, with FICON Express2 or later.
Loosely coupled considerations for these servers
Loosely coupled complexes require the following:
- Channel Redrive, which is activated when you set ESA/390 TPF mode in the activation profile for each image. In a FICON-only environment, channel redrive is not required.
- One of the following external time synchronization mechanisms:
- Sysplex Timer. For a high-availability Sysplex Timer, the dual port Sysplex Timer attachment card is required.
- Server Time Protocal (STP)
- DASD control units require multi-path lock facility (MPLF). If you have a coupling facility (CF), DASD control units do not require MPLF.
The following provides information about storage devices such as tape units and direct access storage devices (DASD) and DASD control units.
At least four tape units are required. The z/TPF system supports the following tape units:
Tape control units
At least one tape control unit is required. The z/TPF system supports the following tape control units:
- IBM 3490 Tape Control Unit
- IBM TotalStorage Enterprise Tape Controller 3590 Model A60
- IBM TotalStorage Enterprise Tape Controller 3592 Model J70
- IBM System Storage TS1120 Tape Controller Model C06
The previous tape control units provide the following product features:
- IBM Enterprise Systems Connection (ESCON) channel adapter
- Fiber connection (FICON®) channels
The z/TPF system supports the following tape libraries:
- IBM TotalStorage Enterprise Tape Library 3494
- IBM Magstar Virtual Tape Server (VTS), which includes support for ESCON and FICON connectivity
- IBM System Storage TS3400 Tape Library
- IBM System Storage TS3500 Tape Library
- IBM Virtualization Engine TS7720
- IBM Virtualization Engine TS7740
Direct access storage devices (DASDs) and DASD control units
The z/TPF system supports the following DASD and DASD control units:
- IBM Enterprise Storage Server® (ESS) Model 2105 (3990 Model 3 TPF mode)
- IBM TotalStorage DS6000™
- IBM TotalStorage DS8000®.
- The z/TPF system requires at least two DASDs and one DASD control unit.
- The DASD control unit must be configured to run in TPF mode.
- DASD control units require the multi-path lock facility (MPLF) in a loosely coupled complex. If you have a coupling facility (CF), DASD control units do not require MPLF.
- To use High Performance FICON for System z (zHPF) support, you must have a DS8000 storage server with HPF Phase 0 microcode (a priced license feature).
- To use HyperPAV support on the z/TPF system, you must have a DS8000 storage server with the HyperPAV feature installed (a priced license feature).
The z/TPF system supports the following interconnection devices:
- IBM 3737 Remote Channel-to-Channel Unit Model 1, which allows IBM host systems to communicate with each other through public or private T1 facilities.
- IBM 9032 Enterprise Systems Connection (ESCON) Director, which provides for connectivity and switching among IBM ESCON channels and control units. Connect at least one IBM 9032 ESCON Director port to an IBM z/OS® or IBM z/VM® system for device support.
- IBM 9033 ESCON Director, which provides connectivity and switching among ESCON channels and control units. Connect at least one IBM 9033 ESCON Director port to an IBM z/OS or IBM z/VM system for device support.
- One IBM 9034 ESCON Converter Model 1 attached to one input/output (I/O) device with parallel channel adapters to ESCON channels. You can have more than one IBM 9034 ESCON Converter Model 1 to I/O device attachment in your complex.
The z/TPF system supports the following communication controllers:
- IBM 3745, which requires a z/OS Communications Server.
- IBM 3746, which is a connectivity subsystem for Enterprise Systems Connection (ESCON) support.
- Open Systems Adapter (OSA)-Express card, which you must use with an Ethernet adapter.
The z/TPF system requires one system console and supports the following consoles:
- IBM 3215 Console support provided by platforms such as TPF Operations Server, including the IBM System/390® Channel to LAN Connectivity Card (9663-001)
- Local, non-SNA, DFT 3270 devices provided by control units such as the IBM 2074 or the OSA-Express Integrated Console Controller
- IBM Hardware Management Console (HMC) Operating System Messages Console
- IBM Hardware Management Console (HMC).
Loosely coupled complex
In a loosely coupled complex:
- Clock synchronization is required and can be achieved with the Sysplex Timer or Server Time Protocal (STP).
- In a FICON-only environment, the z/TPF system must operate in ESA/390 TPF mode; otherwise it can operate in ESA/390 mode or ESA/390 TPF mode.
High Performance Option (HPO) feature
To run in a loosely coupled complex under the High Performance Option (HPO) feature, multi-processor interconnect facility interprocessor communications (MPIF IPC) is required with one of the following devices:
- IBM Enterprise Systems Connection (ESCON) Channel-to-Channel (CTC) device
- Fiber connection (FICON) CTC device.
TPF Product Family Detailed System Requirements
TPF Product Information Center
TPF Web Home Page
Original publication date