IBM Rational Functional Tester 8.3 has been made generally available on the IBM Passport Advantage website.
|This section provides an overview on what is new in this release with a description of any new functions or enhancements when applicable.|
|This section provides information related to the impact of this release to allow you to assess how your environment may be affected.|
|This section provides important information to review prior to the installation of this release.|
|This section provides the direct link to obtain the download package for installation in your environment.|
|This section provides the installation instructions necessary to apply this release into your environment.|
|This section contains a link to the known problems (open defects) identified at the time of this release.|
|Click to review the detailed system requirements information for a complete list of hardware requirements, supported operating systems, prerequisites and optional supported software, with component-level details and operating system restrictions.|
|The information center provides you with user assistance for the product. You can view, browse, and search online information related to the product. You can also visit IBM Product information page the to browse for additional information centers.|
|Click to review a complete list of the defects (APARs) resolved in this release including a list of resolved defects for the entire version family.|
INSTALLATION MANAGER 1.6
If you are installing or upgrading Rational Functional Tester on Microsoft Windows, to use the .NET Scripting feature, you must copy msvcp71.dll into the System32 directory (C:\Windows\System32), if it is not already available. You can copy the msvcp71.dll file from any other Windows operating system such as Windows XP or download it from Internet.
Before you update Rational Functional Tester, close the Eclipse and Microsoft Visual Studio IDEs, as well as any open Web browsers, and all other applications that are enabled by Functional Tester.
For information about installing Rational Functional Tester, version 8.3, see Installing Rational Functional Tester.
You can upgrade to Rational Functional Tester version 8.3 in any of the two ways described below. Note that, to upgrade to version 8.3, the minimum required version of IBM Installation Manager is 1.6.
- Using IBM Installation Manager
- Local upgrade of an existing installation
1. Download the Rational Functional Tester 8.3 package from the location specified at the bottom of this page.
2. Extract the files to a temporary directory. For example, extract the file to
3. In the IBM Installation Manager click File > Preferences and add the temporary directory to the list of repositories, for example,
4. Use the Update Packages wizard of the Installation Manager to proceed with the update.
Rational Functional Tester help is included with the product. You can also connect to the ibm.com site and access the information center help. See Accessing help in Rational Functional Tester versions 8.2.2 and later in the Rational Functional Tester Information Center.
|Rational Functional Tester 8.3 Release Notes||English||21552|
|Rational Functional Tester 8.3 Installation Guide||English||9949|
|Passport Advantage||Passport Advantage and Passport Advantage Express clients are required to sign in to download the software package.|
|IBM OEM software||IBM Software Group OEM offerings are designed for partners who develop and sell business solutions with embedded or bundled IBM middleware software. Clients with Flexible Contract Type (FCT) license purchases and IBM Business Partners must sign in to download the software package.|
How critical is this fix?
|This release is a service release of Rational Functional Tester. It contains new features as well as fixes for client-reported and internally found defects.|
Click the Fix List link in the table of contents above to review a list of the problems solved in this release.
Known side effects
For a list of known problems, see the Known limitations and workarounds section in IBM Rational Functional Tester version 8.3 Release Notes in the Rational Functional Tester Information Center.
Version 8.3 includes these features and enhancements:
- Google Chrome browser support: Rational Functional Tester supports the testing of HTML applications that are loaded in Google Chrome browsers.
- Support for Microsoft Windows 8 Pro (RTM) and Microsoft Windows 8 Release Preview: Rational Functional Tester supports functional testing on the Microsoft Windows 8 Pro (RTM) and the Microsoft Windows 8 Release Preview versions.
- Eclipse 64-bit SWT and RCP application support: Rational Functional Tester supports the testing of Eclipse 64-bit Standard Widget Toolkit (SWT) and Rich Client Platform (RCP) applications.
- Support for testing Microsoft Visual Studio .NET applications that host side-by-side CLRs: You can test Microsoft Visual Studio .NET applications that host side-by-side common language runtimes (CLRs).
IBM Rational Software Support Communities
Helpful Hints For Obtaining Technical Assistance:
Before you contact IBM Rational Software Support, gather the background information that you need to describe the problem. When you describe a problem to an IBM software support specialist, be as specific as possible and include all relevant background information so that the specialist can help you solve the problem efficiently. To save time, know the answers to these questions:
If you have helpful information to diagnose or identify the problem on your system, you can provide this data by following the instructions to exchange information with IBM Technical Support.
Problems (APARS) fixed