IBM Advanced Linguistic Search Plug-in for Adobe V1.5.1 on Windows
This plug-in performs linguistic-based searches on Adobe PDF files enabled with the IBM Advanced Linguistic Search Index, when running Version 10 or 11 of Adobe Reader or Adobe Acr
The IBM Advanced Linguistic Search Plug-in for Adobe may be used to perform advanced full text searches on Adobe PDF files that have been enabled with the IBM Advanced Linguistic Search Index. When installed as a plug-in to either the free Adobe Reader or the priced Adobe Acrobat application, it provides the following functions, over and above the existing search/find functions natively provided by Adobe:
1) Searches are linguistic in nature (i.e. morphologically based). For example, a search term of "old" will produce a results hitlist of all PDF topics in which any of the terms "old", "oldest", "older" or "elder" appear
2) Selecting any topic in the hitlist displays the topic with all occurrences of the search term and/or its linguistic derivations highlighted
3) The end user may specify whether topics in the hitlist should be listed in either sequential order, or in ranked (based on significance) order
4) The end user may specify whether the search scope should be topic titles, topic contents or both
5) The end user may specify whether search term matching should be exact with case sensitivity, exact without case sensitivity or fuzzy (i.e. morphological)
The IBM Advanced Linguistic Search Plug-in works either when Adobe Reader (or Acrobat) is itself running as a plug-in to a 32-bit web browser, or is running in stand-alone mode. The former is typically the case when the Adobe Reader (or Acrobat) is launched by the Library Server for z/OS product for a PDF in its Shelf Search Results List. The later is typically the case when the Adobe Reader (or Acrobat) is launched by the Softcopy Reader tool for a PDF in its Shelf Quick Search Results List. In either case, the Advanced Linguistic Search Plug-in is automatically launched to apply the search criteria on the selected PDF at the client machine.
When Adobe Reader (or Acrobat) is run as a plug-in to a 32-bit web browser, the Advanced Linguistic Search Plug-in may be launched by the end user to perform additional searches at the client machine by choosing the Advanced Linguistic Search selection from the Adobe Reader (or Acrobat) Context Menu that is presented after right-clicking any PDF page.
When Adobe Reader (or Acrobat) is run stand-alone, the Advanced Linguistic Search Plug-in may be launched by the end user to perform additional searches at the client machine by choosing the Advanced Linguistic Search selection from the Adobe Reader (or Acrobat) Edit Menu, or Context Menu that is presented after right-clicking any PDF page.
Adobe Reader V10.x or V11.x, or Adobe Acrobat V10.x or V11.x running on Windows XP or Windows 7 is required to run the IBM Advanced Linguistic Search Plug-in V1.5.1.
Version 1.5x of the IBM Advanced Linguistic Search Plug-in for Adobe has a re-designed end user interface.
The download package below is for Version 1.5.1, having a release date of 2013/08/30. It is a service upgrade which completely replaces the Version 1.5 download package having release date 2013/03/28. See the Release Notes below for details about the service included in this upgrade.
Once installed, the IBM Advanced Linguistic Search Plug-in for Adobe can be used to perform linguistic-based searches on Adobe PDFs that have been enabled with an IBM Advanced Linguistic Search Index. Such enabled PDFs are currently available:
- Via the "Manage Document Indexes" administrative function of IBM Library Server for z/OS
- On the z/OS and Software Products DVD Collection (SK3T-4271)
- On the z/VM Collection on DVD (SK5T-7054)
- On many of the IBM z/OS V1R9 (or later) and z/VM V5R3 (or later) pubs stored on the IBM Publib Server
- Note that an IBM-provided indexing server is no longer available as a service
For an example of how this works, launch the following sample Publib PDF document link in a 32-bit web browser and right click any PDF page. Then choose the Advanced Linguistic Search selection from the Adobe Reader (or Acrobat) Context Menu that is presented, and search for the term "elder" using the Advanced Linguistic Search dialog:
- Windows® XP or Windows® 7
- Adobe Reader 10.x or 11.x, or Adobe Acrobat 10.x or 11.x
- 256MB of RAM
- 8MB free disk space is required to run the install program
1) Take the FTP link below to download installation file hclxinst.exe
for the "Advanced Linguistic Search Plug-in for Adobe"
2) After accepting the terms and conditions, select a drive and folder
on your system in which to download the file and click Save.
3) Click the Windows "Start" button.
The Start menu should appear.
4) Select the "Run" option.
The Run window should appear.
5) In the Run window, click "Browse". When the Browse
window opens, select the drive and folder you specified
in Step 2 to save the file, then highlight the
hclxinst.exe file and click Open. The correct path to the
hclxinst.exe file should be displayed in the Run window.
6) Click OK.
7) Follow the instructions in the Installation window, and if upgrading from an
earlier 1.5 version of the IBM Advanced Linguistic Search Plug-in for
Adobe, please reply "Yes" to the prompt questioning whether to reinstall
8) During installation, you will be asked to select the Adobe
product(s) for which to install the plug-in.
9) When installation is complete, you can start using the IBM Advanced
Linguistic Search Plug-in for Adobe by launching a PDF in your Adobe
Reader (or Acrobat) product and clicking the Advanced Linguistic Search
selection on the Adobe Edit Menu, or on the Context Menu presented
when right-clicking on an open PDF page.
Note that the plug-in functionality can only be exploited for PDFs
that have been enabled by the IBM PDF Indexer tool.
|Download||RELEASE DATE||LANGUAGE||SIZE(Bytes)||Download Options|
|IBM Adv. Linguistic Search Plug-in||30 Aug 2013||English||6509085||FTP|
|Release Notes||30 Aug 2013||English||27044||FTP|
More support for:
BookManager Product Family
Advanced Linguistic Search Plug-in
Software version: 1.5.1
Operating system(s): Windows
Reference #: 4033389
Modified date: 18 August 2016