Prerequisite Scanner Version 126.96.36.199 Readme
IBM Prerequisite Scanner is a stand-alone prerequisite checking tool that analyzes system environments before the installation or upgrade of a Tivoli product or IBM solution.
These notes applie to IBM® Prerequisite Scanner Version 188.8.131.52 and to all subsequent releases, modifications, and service refreshes, until otherwise indicated in a new Download document.
First published on: 26 June 2014
Last modified on:26 June 2014
The download document contains information on the following items:
- Downloading and installing Prerequisite Scanner
- Running Prerequisite Scanner
- Reading scan results
- Supported products reference
- Technical support
- Feedback and product request enhancements
|For information about what is contained in this fix pack, see|
a. Prerequisite Scanner: What's new in Versions 184.108.40.206 to 220.127.116.11
b. A Quick Start Guide is also available for download. To obtain the Quick Start Guide in different languages, access the PDF files from the Translated IBM Prerequisite Scanner Version 18.104.22.168 Quick Start Guide document
Prerequisite Scanner supports all hardware and operating systems of the specified product or IBM solution for which you are running Prerequisite Scanner.
Ensure that the target environments meet the following prerequisites:
Downloading and installing Prerequisite Scanner
Prerequisite Scanner can run on 32-bit or 64-bit Windows systems. It can also run on 32-bit or 64-bit variants of AIX, HP-UX, Linux, and Solaris operating systems. You can download Prerequisite Scanner from IBM Fix Central. See the Download package section below for download links if not accessing this Download document from Fix Central.
There are two separate packages available to download from Fix Central to support Windows and UNIX platforms as follows:
- The Windows package (version_num-Tivoli-PRS-Windows-fp0001.zip) supports different Windows platforms including Windows 2012.
- The UNIX package (version_num-Tivoli-PRS-Unix-fp0001.tar.gz) supports the AIX®, HP-UX, Linux, Linux for System z®, and Solaris platforms.
After you download your platform package, extract the contents of the compressed file to a preferred location as specified by ips_root and on each target system that you intend to install the product or component.
Important: You must have write permissions to the root directory in which you extract the contents of the compressed file.
After you extract the contents of the compressed file, you are ready to run Prerequisite Scanner.
Running Prerequisite Scanner
When you run Prerequisite Scanner, it scans for the specified prerequisites and detects any missing ones before the actual product installation or upgrade takes place; thus, the scan can enable remediation without impacting the deployment schedule.
You can run IBM Prerequisite Scanner from the command line. The Prerequisite Scanner script, prereq_checker, takes a set of required and optional parameters and a command flag for additional optional parameters.
Before you beginTo run Prerequisite Scanner, review the script parameters described in prereq_checker topic in the latest available version of the documentation, which can be accessed from the Prerequisite Scanner page at Tivoli Documentation Central.
The script requires individual product codes as required parameters that identify the product or component against which to run prerequisite checks. Review the set of predefined product codes outlined in the Prerequisite Scanner product codes technical document.
Determine whether your offering uses environment variables that indicate the offering’s component prerequisites to scan for. The following table outlines the offerings that use environment variables and those environment variables.
|Offering version, platform, operating system||Installation option||Environment variable|
|Tivoli® Business Service Manager Version 6.1.1||Data server installation only||TBSM_PREREQ_DATA|
|Dashboard server installation only||TBSM_PREREQ_DASH|
|Combined dashboard and data server installation||TBSM_PREREQ_BOTH|
|Tivoli Netcool/Impact Version 6.1.1||Impact server installation only||IMPACT_PREREQ_IMPACT|
|GUI server installation only||IMPACT_PREREQ_GUI|
|Combined dashboard and data server installation||IMPACT_PREREQ_BOTH|
|Jazz for Service Management Versions 22.214.171.124 and later fix packs||Fresh installation or update existing installation||JazzSM_FreshInstall|
|Registry Services in Jazz for Service Management
Tip: Jazz for Service Management uses convenience scripts to run the tool, and which set these environment variables. Set only these environment variables, if you want to run the tool by using the Registry Services configuration file.
|Custom installation, DB2® server installation only||FRS_DBSERVER|
|Custom installation, application server installation only||FRS_BACKENDSERVER|
| Tivoli Netcool Configuration Manager Versions 6.4.0 and 6.4.1
Tip: Use the ips_root/NCM.sh script to run the scan for Tivoli Netcool Configuration Manager. It prompts you to choose which components to run the scan for, and thereby automatically sets the environment variables.
|Compliance core installation||TNCM_COMPLIANCE_CORE|
|Compliance evaluation engine installation||TNCM_COMPLIANCE_EVALUATION|
|Presentation (GUI) server installation||TNCM_PRESENTATION_SERVER|
|Tivoli Common Reporting installation||TNCM_REPORTING|
|Worker server installation||TNCM_WORKER_SERVER|
- Ensure that you check your product’s installation documentation or Technotes for any additional steps that must be performed before running Prerequisite Scanner. For example, you might need to set the environment variable that indicates to Prerequisite Scanner which components or features are being installed on the target computerand consequently, which prerequisites to check.
- Open a command window and change to the ips_root directory.
- If your offering uses environment variables to indicate the component to be installed on the target machine, set the value for relevant environment variable to True, for example:
- set ENV_NAME=True
- export ENV_NAME=True
- Run the Prerequisite Scanner script file, prereq_checker, with the relevant parameters.
- prereq_checker.bat "Product_Code [Product_Version][,Product_CodeN [Product_VerN]...]" [outputDir="ips_output_dir"] [configHomeDir="config_files_home"] [xmlResult]
- ../prereq_checker.sh "Product_Code [Product_Version[,Product_CodeN Product_VerN]...]" [outputDir="ips_output_dir"] [configHomeDir="config_files_home"] [xmlResult]
This example runs Prerequisite Scanner for Tivoli zEnterprise® Monitoring Agent using product code KZE. It also sets the location of the results and log files to ips_output_dir by using the optional outputDir parameter. The detail -s parameter means that the tool outputs the shortened results to the command window, displaying the overall result and any prerequisite properties with FAIL or WARN results.
Important: You must use the ips_output_dir parameter to specify a location, if you choose to run Prerequisite Scanner from a mounted CD, DVD, or read-only file system and network drive. You must have write permissions to write to ips_output_dir; otherwise, Prerequisite Scanner fails.
It also sets the home location of the configuration files to the config_files_home path by using the optional configHomeDir parameter.
prereq_checker.bat "KZE 06020300" outputDir="%TEMP%\ips" configHomeDir="C:\MyCfgFiles\cfgfiles" detail -s
./prereq_checker.sh "KZE 06020300" outputDir="/tmp/ips" configHomeDir="/usr/myname/MyCfgFiles/cfgfiles" detail -s
The tool outputs the result.txt file and precheck.log files to the following locations:
- On Windows systems: %TEMP%\ips where TEMP is environment variable for the temporary folder.
- On UNIX systems: /tmp/ips
You can run the tool to check prerequisites for multiple offerings, for example, Tivoli Business Service Manager and Tivoli Netcool/Impact, by specifying multiple product codes.
prereq_checker.bat "BSM 06010100,NCI 06010100"
./prereq_checker.sh "BSM 06010100,NCI 06010100"
You can also extend the Prerequisite Scanner to scan for prerequisites not originally supplied with the tool. For more information about extending it to meet your additional prerequisite needs, see the Extending Prerequisite Scanner topic in the latest available version of the documentation, which can be accessed from the Prerequisite Scanner page at Tivoli Documentation Central.
Reading scan results
Possible results from running Prerequisite Scanner on the target computer are as follows:
- FAIL: If the target computer does not meet any of the prerequisite checks, as specified by the values for the prerequisite properties in the configuration file, Prerequisite Scanner returns an overall FAIL result for the environment. The tool also displays the scan results for the individual prerequisite properties in the command window.
To ensure the environment meets the product's requirements, take the appropriate actions; for example, install the missing operating system packages, increase disk space for the file systems, and so on.
- WARNING: If the target environment does not meet one or more the prerequisite checks that have warning severity level, Prerequisite Scanner returns an overall WARNING result for the environment; unless there is a FAIL result for another prerequisite property, and then the overall result is FAIL. The tool displays the scan results for the individual prerequisite properties in the command window.
If Prerequisite Scanner returns this result, you can install the product or component, but the performance or runtime environment might be impacted because of the missing or incorrect prerequisites. You should take appropriate actions for those prerequisite properties that returned a WARNING result.
- PASS: If the target computer meet all prerequisite checks in the configuration file, Prerequisite Scanner returns an overall PASS result for the environment.
If Prerequisite Scanner returns an overall PASS result for the environment, you can install the product on the target computer.
Supported products reference
Prerequisite Scanner currently supports the following products and components:
- IBM Connections Version 4.0 (requires Prerequisite Scanner from the IBM Connections Bill of Materials)
- Jazz for Service Management Versions 1.1 and later fix packs
- Maximo® Asset Management 7.5 and 7.6 (requires Prerequisite Scanner from the Tivoli Process Automation Engine Bill of Materials)
- Security Access Manager Version 7.0
- Security Directory Server Version 6.3.1
- Security Key Lifecycle Manager Version 2.5 (requires Prerequisite Scanner from the Security Key Lifecycle Manager Bill of Materials)
- Tivoli Application Dependency Discovery Manager Version 7.2.2
- Tivoli Asset Discovery for Distributed Versions 7.2 and 7.2.2
- Tivoli Autonomic Deployment Engine Version 1.4
- Tivoli Business Service Manager Versions 4.2.1, 6.1, and 6.1.1
- Tivoli Common Reporting Versions 2.1.1, 3.1, 126.96.36.199, and 188.8.131.52
- Tivoli Composite Application Manager Agent for WebSphere MQ Version 7.1
- Tivoli Composite Application Manager Agent for WebSphere MQ File Transfer Edition Version 7.1 (Windows only)
- Tivoli Composite Application Manager Agent for WebSphere Message Broker Version 7.1
- Tivoli Composite Application Manager (ITCAM) for Applications: DB2 Version 6.2.2
- Tivoli Composite Application Manager (ITCAM) for Transactions: Internet Service Monitoring Versions 7.2 and 7.3
- Tivoli Composite Application Manager (ITCAM) for Transactions: Transaction Reporter Versions 7.2.2 (Windows only) and 7.3 (UNIX/Linux Systems)
- Tivoli Composite Application Manager (ITCAM) for Transactions: Transaction Collector Versions 7.2.2 (Windows only) and 7.3 (UNIX/Linux Systems)
- Tivoli Composite Application Manager (ITCAM) for Transactions: Application Management Console Version 7.3
- Tivoli Composite Application Manager (ITCAM) for Transactions: Client Response Time Version 7.3
- Tivoli Composite Application Manager (ITCAM) for Transactions: Web Response Time Version 7.3
- Tivoli Composite Application Manager (ITCAM) for Transactions: Robotic Response Time Version 7.3
- Tivoli Integrated Portal Version 184.108.40.206
- Tivoli License Compliance Manager Version 2.3
- Tivoli License Metric Tool Versions 7.2 and 7.2.2
- Tivoli Monitoring Versions 6.1, 6.2, 6.2.1, 6.2.2, and 6.3
- Tivoli Monitoring Version 6.2.3 (requires Prerequisite Scanner from the Tivoli Monitoring Bill of Materials)
- Tivoli Monitoring for Databases: DB2 Agent Versions 6.1 6.2, 6.2.1 and 6.2.2
- Tivoli Monitoring for Databases: Oracle Agent Version 6.2.2
- Tivoli Netcool Configuration Manager Versions 6.4 and 6.4.1
- Tivoli Netcool/Impact Versions 6.1, 6.1.1, and 7.1
- Tivoli Netcool/OMNIbus Probe Components Version 7.4
- Tivoli Netcool/OMNIbus Server Components Versions 7.3.1 and 7.4
- Tivoli Netcool/OMNIbus Desktop Components Versions 7.3.1 and 7.4
- Tivoli Network Manager Version 3.9
- Tivoli Provisioning Manager Versions 7.2, 7.2.1, and 7.2.2
- Tivoli Workload Scheduler Dynamic Agent Version 9.1
- Tivoli Workload Scheduler Fault-Tolerant Agent Version 9.1
- Tivoli Workload Automation Version 9.1
You can often find solutions to problems by searching IBM knowledge bases. The following sites can contain troubleshooting information:
- Go to the IBM Prerequisite Scanner page on the IBM Support Portal.
- Go to the IBM Prerequisite Scanner Transparent Development community at Service Management Connect.
- Use the IBM Prerequisite Scanner discussion forum at Service Management Connect.
Customers can contact IBM Support should they require assistance on the products that IBM Prerequisite Scanner supports. To ensure that the request is routed correctly, all PMRs must be reported against the product being scanned.
Feedback and product request enhancements
Customers can submit or review product request enhancements for Prerequisite Scanner in the Tivoli RFE Community.
Customers can collaborate and provide feedback on the development of the Prerequisite Scanner. Go to the IBM Prerequisite Scanner transparent development project dashboard at Service Management Connect. Customers require an IBM ID and password to sign in.
Customers can also provide feedback by using the IBM Prerequisite Scanner discussion forum at Service Management Connect.
|Download||RELEASE DATE||LANGUAGE||SIZE(Bytes)||Download Options
What is Fix Central(FC)?
|Windows pkg||30 Jun 2014||English||765952||FC|
|UNIX and Linux pkg||30 Jun 2014||English||3502080||FC|
|Security||IBM License Metric Tool||7.2, 7.2.2|
|Systems%20and%20Asset%20Management||Maximo Asset Management||7.5|
|Security||Tivoli Asset Discovery for Distributed||Not Applicable||7.2.2|
|Systems%20and%20Asset%20Management||Tivoli Business Service Manager||4.2.1, 6.1, 6.1.1|
|Systems%20and%20Asset%20Management||Tivoli Common Reporting||2.1.1|
|Systems%20and%20Asset%20Management||Tivoli Composite Application Manager for Applications||ITCAM Agent for DB2 - 5724B96DO||6.2.2|
|Systems%20and%20Asset%20Management||Tivoli Composite Application Manager for Transactions||Not Applicable||7.2, 7.3|
|Systems%20and%20Asset%20Management||IBM Monitoring||Not Applicable||6.2.1, 6.2, 6.2.2|
|Systems%20and%20Asset%20Management||Tivoli Monitoring for Databases||ITM Agent DB2 V6||6.2, 6.2.1, 6.2.2|
|Systems%20and%20Asset%20Management||Tivoli Monitoring for Databases||ITM Agent Oracle V6||Windows||6.2.2|
|Systems%20and%20Asset%20Management||Tivoli Netcool/Impact||Netcool/Impact||6.1, 6.1.1|
|Systems%20and%20Asset%20Management||Tivoli Netcool/OMNIbus||Netcool/OMNIbus||7.4.0, 7.3.1|
|Security||Tivoli Provisioning Manager||Not Applicable||7.2, 7.2.1|
|Organizational%20Productivity-%20Portals%20&%20Collaboration||IBM Connections||Not Applicable||4.0|
|Systems%20and%20Asset%20Management||Tivoli Netcool Performance Manager||Not Applicable||AIX, Linux||1.3.2|
|Systems%20and%20Asset%20Management||IBM Workload Scheduler||Not Applicable||9.1|
More support for:
IBM Prerequisite Scanner
Software version: 1.1, 1.1.1, 220.127.116.11, 18.104.22.168, 22.214.171.124, 126.96.36.199, 188.8.131.52, 184.108.40.206, 220.127.116.11, 1.2, 18.104.22.168, 22.214.171.124, 126.96.36.199, 188.8.131.52, 184.108.40.206, 220.127.116.11, 18.104.22.168, 22.214.171.124, 126.96.36.199, 188.8.131.52, 184.108.40.206, 220.127.116.11
Operating system(s): AIX, HP-UX, IBM i, Linux, Solaris, Windows
Reference #: 4031503
Modified date: 14 July 2014
Translate this page: