IBM Rational AppScan Standard Edition 8.5 has been made generally available on the IBM Passport Advantage web site.
This release is a full product download.
After downloading the installation pack to your computer, double-click the Setup Launcher and follow the simple on-line instructions.
During the installation you will be asked if you want to install Generic Service Client (GSC). This is a program included in the Rational AppScan Standard package, and used by Rational AppScan Standard when scanning Web Services. If your site includes Web Services, install GSC; otherwise do not..
This download can be used to either:
- Update an earlier version of Rational AppScan Standard or Express
- Install Rational AppScan Standard for the first time
The download includes an optional component: Generic Server Client (GSC), which Rational AppScan Standard requires for scanning Web Services.
If you have a valid Rational AppScan (Standard or Express) license you will be able to use this version for testing your site. If you do not have a license you will be able to use this version, like any other, on the demo.testfire.net test site only.
- You must have active product entitlements for this download, and know your Site Number. (If you do not know your Site Number, contact eCustomer Care.)
- Sign in to the Passport Advantage site using your IBM ID. If you do not have an IBM ID you will be able to create one. If you did not purchase under Passport Advantage terms, you will later be automatically redirected to the Software and Services site.
- On the Self-nomination page, type in your Site Number, and indicate whether or not you are your company's Primary Contact for this site. (If you are not sure whether you are the primary contact, select "No".) Then click Submit.
At this point your company's primary contact is notified. When your request is approved you will receive email notification, and be able to continue.
- After signing in again (if necessary), click Software Download and Media Access, then click Download Finder.
The downloads that are available to you are listed.
- Search - by name or part number - for the following eAssembly:
IBM Rational AppScan Standard Edition V8.5 Multilingual Windows eAssembly
Part number: CRG03ML
This package contains:
- IBM Rational AppScan Standard Edition V8.5 Multilingual Windows
- IBM Rational License Server V8.1.2 Multilingual Windows
- Quick Start Guide (PDF)
- Download the components you require. It may be convenient to download all three, for quick access later on.
How critical is this fix?
Version 8.5 includes the following features and enhancements:
Glass box scanning
- While regular scanning looks on the application as a "black box", analyzing its output without looking inside" it; glass box scanning uses an agent installed on the application server to view the code itself. Hence the term "glass" box
- During the Explore stage, glass box scanning can reveal URLs that affect the server-side but which are not found in responses, and which would therefore not be discovered by black box scanning alone
- During the Test stage, glass box scanning can verify the success or failure of certain tests, such as Blind SQL Injection, with greater accuracy, resulting in fewer "false positive" results
- For many issues, glass box scanning can show the vulnerability in the actual source code, simplifying both reporting and remediation
- A new Megascripts module detects and makes recommendations to improve scanning of megascript sites
- Improved WebGoat and Hacme Bank modules
- Improved Case-Sensitive Path module
- Where relevant, method and parameters are now shown in the Result List
- For script parameters, adjacent parameters are now shown
- The command line interface now offers many more commands.
- Expanded Best Practices
- New recommended Workflow for Advanced Users.
- Expanded Troubleshooting sections
- Improved user interface
- Language support for Portuguese (Brazilian) and Spanish has now been added to the existing Chinese (Simplified), Chinese (Traditional), French, German, English, Italian, Japanese, and Korean.
- Upgraded RCL to version 8.1.2, enabling support for token licensing
IBM Rational Software Support Communities
Helpful Hints For Obtaining Technical Assistance:
Before you contact IBM Rational Software Support, gather the background information that you need to describe the problem. When you describe a problem to an IBM software support specialist, be as specific as possible and include all relevant background information so that the specialist can help you solve the problem efficiently. To save time, know the answers to these questions:
If you have helpful information to diagnose or identify the problem on your system, you can provide this data by following the instructions to exchange information with IBM Technical Support.
Problems (APARS) fixed