This document describes how to download and install IBM® Installation Manager, Version 1.4.
Download Installation Manager version 1.4
For other versions of Installation Manager, see
IBM Installation Manager helps you install, update, modify, roll back, and uninstall packages on your workstation.
This release can be used for an initial installation or as a fix pack to update an current installation of Installation Manager. If you are installing Installation Manager for the first time, download and install version 1.4.
Used as a fix pack, this release updates any of the following versions of IBM Installation Manager with new features, enhancements, and fixes: 1.3.x, 1.2.x, and 1.1.x.
These sections describe the content of Installation Manager, Version 1.4:
Find installation prerequisites and instructions and information on how to get technical support at the end of this document:
This version is a cumulative release that includes all fixes, enhancements, and new features from the following versions: 1.3.x, 1.2.x, and 1.1.x.
Known problems are documented in the form of individual technotes in the Support knowledge base at: http://www.ibm.com/software/rational/support/. As problems are discovered and resolved, the knowledge base is updated and maintained with any new information. By searching the knowledge base, you can quickly find workarounds or solutions to problems.
The following link launches a customized query of the live Support knowledge base:
For news, education, and other information, visit the Installation Manager Support page: http://www.ibm.com/software/awdtools/installmanager/support/index.html
Fixed APAR List
The following is a list of APARs fixed in IBM Installation Manager version 1.4:
Installation Manager hangs during installation on a 64-bit AIX plaform
UpdateAll instructions in the response file failed to update RPT & RST8 to an 811 level
Installation Manager GUI hangs during initial startup on a remote AIX machine
Silent installation has a dependency on libgtk
Installation Manager throws java.io.FileInputStream exception while loading com.ibm.check.was.v6.running plugin
Reinstall of RAD/RSA 7.5.5 fails due to the p2 bootprofile that is not removed after an uninstall
Installation Manager crashes in silent mode when updating a product
For up-to-date information about using Installation Manager, visit the Installation Manager Information Center at: http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/install/v1r4/index.jsp.
This resource might be updated intermittently between releases.
Refer to this section for hardware, software, or other requirements for installing this fix pack.
You must have internet access to update software or to download the packages listed later on this page. If you have Installation Manager installed and are updating to version 1.4, Installation Manager must be able to access www.ibm.com.
Installation Manager versions are released as both fix packs and installer packages. You can use version 1.4 of Installation Manager either as an update to a current installation or for a first-time installation. The instructions for each method of installation are outlined here.
The installer package for Installation Manager 1.4 is
agent.installer.platform.zip where platform indicates the operating system. The installer package contains files for only one platform. Using this package, you can install Installation Manager by running the install command. You can also add this package as a repository to update Installation Manager
The fix pack package for Installation Manager 1.4 is
com.ibm.cic.agent.offering.zip. The fix pack contains files for all supported platforms. This fix pack package is significantly larger than the platform specific installer packages. You can add this fix pack as a repository to update Installation Manager. You cannot install Installation Manager with this fix pack.
Important: Review the installation prerequisites above before you begin.
Update a current installation of Installation Manager
If Installation Manager is currently installed and you are using this release as a fix pack, use one of the following three methods.
A. Use the update capability of Installation Manager:
- Run Installation Manager.
- Verify that updates are enabled. Click File > Preferences > Updates, and select Search for Installation Manager update.
- Verify that service repositories are searched. Click File > Preferences > Repositories, and select Search service repositories during installation and updates.
- Click OK.
- On the main page of the Installation Manager, click Update.
B. Download and run a platform specific install kit. Use this option when you are updating Installation Manager on a specific platform. Note: Do this if the computer that has Installation Manager installed does not have access to the internet.
1. Download the installer package for a specific platform. Download from the FTP or Download Director (DD) site found in the Download package table below. For example, download the
agent.installer.win32.win32.x86.zipfile for Windows.
2. Extract the compressed file to a directory. For example, extract to
3. Complete one of these steps:
a. For a GUI based installation, run install.exe on Windows or install on Linux® and UNIX® systems.
b. For a silent installation, open a command prompt to the directory where you extracted the .zip file, for example,
C:\temp; then run one of these commands:
Windows: installc --launcher.ini silent-install.ini
Linux and UNIX systems: ./install --launcher.ini silent-install.ini
C. Download and install version 1.4 as a fix pack. Use this option when you are updating Installation Manager on multiple platforms. Note: Do this if the computer that has Installation Manager installed does not have access to the internet.
- Download the
com.ibm.cic.agent.offering.zipfix pack from the FTP or Download Director (DD) site found in the Download package table that follows. The
com.ibm.cic.agent.offering.zipcontains files for all supported platforms. Note: Do not download a platform specific .zip file like
- Extract the compressed file in an appropriate directory. For example, extract to C:\temp.
- Add the fix pack repository location in IBM Installation Manager:
- Start IBM Installation Manager.
- In Installation Manager, click File > Preferences, and then click Repositories. The Repositories page opens.
- On the Repositories page, click Add Repository.
- In the Add repository window, browse to or enter the file path to the repository.config file, which is located in the directory where you extracted the compressed files. For example, enter C:\temp\ or C:\temp\repository.config, and then click OK.
- On the start page of the Installation Manager, click Update.
D. Perform a silent update of the Installation Manager.
1. You must set these preferences: com.ibm.cic.common.core.preferences.searchForUpdates and offering.service.repositories.areUsed. Find information on this preference here: http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/install/v1r4/topic/com.ibm.silentinstall12.doc/topics/r_silent_prefs.html.
Create the file setSearchForUpdates.xml with the contents:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<preference value='true' name='com.ibm.cic.common.core.preferences.searchForUpdates'/>
<preference value='true' name='offering.service.repositories.areUsed'/>
2. Run the Installation Manager installer, specifying the silent install.ini file and the new XML file. On Windows, the command is as follows:
IBMIMc.exe --launcher.ini silent-install.ini -input setSearchForUpdates.xml
3. You can now update all other installed products.
IBMIMc.exe --launcher.ini silent-install.ini -updateAll
Important: If the file silent-install.ini contains the command-line argument -input, the command-line argument -updateAll does not work. Before running the command, you must remove two lines from silent-install.ini: the -input line and the line pointing to the response file. Example of the two lines to remove:
Install IBM Installation Manager for the first time
If IBM Installation Manager is not currently installed, you can install this version by completing these steps. Supported platforms are based on the product that you install. Installation Manager is supported on the same platforms that are supported by the IBM products that use Installation Manager.
NOTE: For products that are installed by IBM Installation Manager, starting the installation process from the product launchpad causes Installation Manager to be automatically installed if it is not already on your computer. Furthermore, the installation process is already configured with the location of the repository that contains the installation package. If you install Installation Manager separately from these instructions, you must configure the repository preferences manually once Installation Manager is installed.
1. Find the appropriate installer package file name in this table, and then download the installer from the download URL in the Download package table:
2. Extract the compressed file into an appropriate directory. For example, extract to C:\temp.
3. Run install.exe (Windows) or install (Linux/Solaris/HP-UX/AIX). The Installation Manager installer starts.
4. Follow the installer wizard pages to install Installation Manager. Note: IBM Installation Manager starts after the installation is completed.
Note: The installation files are required to uninstall Installation Manager.
You can download the fix pack using either Fix Central, Download Director or FTP from the table below.
NOTE: If a Terms and Conditions window opens, you must click I Agree to proceed with the download.
|Download||RELEASE DATE||LANGUAGE||SIZE(Bytes)||Download Options
What is Fix Central (FC)?
What is DD?
|agent.installer.aix.motif.ppc_1.4.0||17 Jun 2010||English||95623844||FC FTP DD|
|agent.installer.hpux.motif.ia64_32_||17 Jun 2010||English||112205824||FC FTP DD|
|agent.installer.hpux.motif.PA_RISC_||17 Jun 2010||English||98267136||FC FTP DD|
|agent.installer.linux.gtk.ppc_1.4.0||17 Jun 2010||English||101519360||FC FTP DD|
|agent.installer.linux.gtk.s390_1.4.||17 Jun 2010||English||96620544||FC FTP DD|
|agent.installer.linux.gtk.x86_1.4.0||17 Jun 2010||English||98842880||FC FTP DD|
|agent.installer.solaris.gtk.sparc_1||17 Jun 2010||English||100982784||FC FTP DD|
|agent.installer.solaris.gtk.x86_1.4||17 Jun 2010||English||93655040||FC FTP DD|
|agent.installer.win32.win32.x86_1.4||17 Jun 2010||English||96751616||FC FTP DD|
|com.ibm.cic.agent.offering_18.104.22.168||17 Jun 2010||English||577945600||FC FTP DD|
For contact information and guidelines or reference materials that you will need when you require support, read the IBM Software Support Handbook at: http://www14.software.ibm.com/webapp/set2/sas/f/handbook/home.html.
Refer to the Installation Manager Support page: http://www.ibm.com/software/awdtools/installmanager/support/index.html.
Before you contact IBM Rational Software Support, gather the background information that you will need to describe your problem. When describing a problem to an IBM software support specialist, be as specific as possible and include all relevant background information so that the specialist can help you solve the problem efficiently. To save time, know the answers to these questions:
- What software versions were you running when the problem occurred?
- Do you have logs, traces, or messages that are related to the problem?
- Can you reproduce the problem? If so, what steps do you take to reproduce it?
- Is there a workaround for the problem? If so, be prepared to describe the workaround.