Install IBM Support Assistant Lite for Lotus Notes/Domino to quickly collect diagnostic files so your problem can be solved faster.
IBM Support Assistant is a tool that allows you to gather configuration and log files that can help IBM Lotus Technical Support troubleshoot issues you have with IBM products. This document contains details on obtaining and installing IBM Support Assistant Lite (ISA Lite) for Lotus Notes/Domino.
ISA Lite needs Java JRE 1.4.2 or higher on the system in order to run.
Sections in this document:
- Do you need ISA Lite?
- Demo of install and launch of ISA Lite
- Domino server instructions
- About Notes 8.x Standard client
- Notes client releases prior to 8.x and Notes 8.x Basic client instructions
- What to do if "Java is not recognized..." error occurs when starting ISA Lite
- Learn more about ISA serviceability tools
|Do you need ISA Lite?|
The version of Lotus Notes or Domino you are running, and the operating system it is running on, are factors to whether you need to obtain ISA Lite for Lotus Notes/Domino.
Operating Systems supported by ISA Lite
ISA Lite Availability
|Demo of install and launch of ISA Lite for Notes/Domino|
The video linked below shows a demonstration of how to download, install and run ISA Lite. The demo is 9 minutes in length and has no audio track.
The video is contained in a zip file. Click the link below, then save and unzip the file on your computer and double-click ISA_Lite_demo.wmv to launch the video.
Video: Demo of install and launch of ISA Lite for Lotus Notes/Domino
Even though the video shows some Domino-specific items, the video can be used as a guide for installing ISA Lite for either the Notes client or the Domino server; the same ISA Lite tool is used for both the Notes client (See the table above for specific releases) and the Domino server.
Use the video and/or the written steps below as a guide for installing ISA Lite.
|Domino server instructions|
Use the steps in this section to download and install ISA Lite for Lotus Notes/Domino on your Domino server. ISA Lite is supported on Lotus Domino servers running on the Microsoft Windows and UNIX operating systems.
Note: Before you can download ISA Lite for Lotus Notes/Domino, you must have an IBM ID and password. Register here if you do not already have one. If you have problems with your IBM ID or password, reference the Worldwide IBM Registration Help desk.
The video in the section above walks through all download/install/run steps in this section on a Windows OS.
Download ISA Lite:
1. Click here to download ISA Lite.
2. Sign in to the IBM download site using your IBM user ID (First time users will need to register. See note above.).
3. Scroll to the License section the Business Contact Information page, select "I Agree" and "I confirm"..
4. Select the desired method of downloading the tool, either Download Director or HTTP.
5. Select ISA Lite install package that is appropriate for your operating system and select "Download Now".
Install ISA Lite:
1. Locate the downloaded installation package on your system.
2. Extract ISA Lite into the <data>\ IBM_TECHNICAL_SUPPORT folder.
Command in UNIX:
# tar -xvf ISALiteForDomino_Unix_MMDDYY.tar
...where MMDDYY is the date of the package you downloaded, such as ISALiteForDomino_Unix_060310.tar.
* This action will create an ISALite subfolder structure under the \IBM_TECHNICAL_SUPPORT folder.
Example folder location in Windows:
Example folder location in UNIX:
After you extract the file, an \ISALite folder will be located, by default, here:
Example in Windows:
Example in UNIX:
3. (UNIX only) Set following permission on all files in the ISALite directory structure (rwxr-xr-x):
# chmod -R 755 ISALite
4. (UNIX only) Set owner and group for all files in the ISALite directory structure to the same owner and group Unix accounts that are set on the Domino data.
In this example we use Domino's default Unix accounts (user=notes | group=notes):
Run ISA Lite:
1. In Windows open an operating system command window.
In UNIX, log into the OS with the Domino Unix user account.
2. Go to the location where you added the ISALite package.
Example in Windows:
Example in UNIX:
# cd /local/
3. Execute the runISALite batch or shell script corresponding to your operating system.
In Windows, type
In UNIX: Execute the runISALite shell script.
# ./runISALite.sh => GUI mod
You will likely see several lines in the OS window starting with AUTOPD_HOME = and JAVA_HOME = , and then ISA LIte will load.
Note: The ISA Lite user interface cannot be launched from programs such as Windows Explorer. You can run a console mode from Explorer but not the user interface.
Note: If you see the error " 'java' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file" refer to the section below, "What to do if "Java is not recognized..." error occurs".
Note: On UNIX systems if you encounter the error "Can't connect to X11 window server", follow the steps in technote # 1107421 . The Lotus Domino install can run into the same error, and the same solution for Domino in the technote can be used for ISA Lite.
4. Expand Data Collection Options > Lotus Domino Server and select the Lotus Domino Collection most appropriate for your problem. When in doubt, select Lotus Domino General Collection.
5. Name your zip file using your PMR number as shown on the panel (example, 11111.222.333.zip). This will ensure that when you FTP your logs, they will be associated with your PMR, and IBM Support will be alerted that your logs have arrived.
6. Select Collect Data.
7. Follow the remaining prompts for your problem type.
8. After the data has been collected, you will be prompted to send the data to IBM. When you select Send, the tool will automatically send the file to the IBM FTP server.
Alternatively, if you do not choose to allow the tool to automatically FTP the file, then you can manually FTP the file using the instruction here: http://www.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21138787
|About Notes 8.x Standard client|
For Notes 8.x Standard client, do not download/install ISA Lite. IBM Support Assistant is available in the Notes 8.x Standard client menus under Help > Support > IBM Support Assistant / Collect Support Data. Additional information on using ISA to collect data in the Notes client is provided in the following technotes:
- MustGather: Collecting troubleshooting data for Notes 8.5x Standard Configuration issues
- MustGather: Collecting troubleshooting data for Notes 8.0x Standard Configuration issues
|Notes client releases prior to 8.x and Notes 8.x Basic client instructions|
For Notes 8.x Basic client and Notes client releases prior to 8.x, follow the steps in the Domino server section above to download and install ISA Lite, substituting the location(s) of your Notes client for the Domino server, as appropriate.
For example, to download ISA Lite you may be extracting to this folder:
C:\Program Files\IBM\Lotus\ Notes \Data\IBM_TECHNICAL_SUPPORT
rather than this folder:
C:\Program Files\IBM\Lotus\ Domino \Data\IBM_TECHNICAL_SUPPORT
- The same ISA Lite application runs on both Notes and Domino.
- For Notes client, ISA Lite for Lotus Notes/Domino is supported on the Microsoft Windows and Linux operating systems. It is not supported on Mac OS.
|What to do if "Java is not recognized..." error occurs when starting ISA Lite|
If you see the error, " 'java' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file", this means ISA Lite is not finding the Java file it needs to launch. The error in its entirety is shown below.
To address the error you must set the machine's Java_Home environment variable so that it locates a Java JVM/JRE on your system (version 1.4.2 or greater).
The Domino server ships with its own Java JVM. So, one way to address this issue is to point Java_Home= to Domino's Java. The default location of the Domino JVM is one directory below the Domino program directory.
Example: If your Domino server is installed in the default directory on a Windows operating system, you would type the following in the Windows command window: set Java_Home=C:\Program Files\IBM\Lotus\Domino\jvm
Note: When you press ENTER, nothing will appear to have occurred. This is normal behavior.
Once you have entered the environment variable, try again to launch ISA Lite.
Note: The command for initializing Java_Home differs between operating systems:
Windows OS -
UNIX OS - export java_home=...
Note: You may need to set this variable each time you open a new command window and start ISA Lite, unless you set it up in your UNIX user profile or Windows system properties. Note, however, that setting a Java_Home= for one application may impact other applications that use other Java JREs on the system.
|Learn more about IBM serviceability tools|
- IBM Support Assistant Lite
- IBM Support Assistant Workbench
- The Quick Start Guide for ISA Lite provides background technical information that is more generic in nature.
For your immediate data collection need, ISA Lite can provide a quick solution. Later, you can consider installing the full IBM Support Assistant Workbench.
|Download||RELEASE DATE||LANGUAGE||SIZE(Bytes)||Download Options|
|Windows - ISA Lite for Notes/Domino||6/3/2010||English||6277703||HTTPS|
|UNIX - ISA Lite for Notes/Domino||12/18/2009||English||8744960||HTTPS|
|Messaging Applications||IBM Notes||Lotus Notes||Linux, Windows||8.5, 8.0, 7.0, 6.5|