IBM Spectrum Protect for Space Management 7.1.8 and 8.1.2 tape optimized recall might cause data corruption (IT22692)
Tape optimized recall can corrupt file data in Space Management client version 7.1.8 and 8.1.2.
Tape optimized recall can corrupt recalled file data in Space Management client versions 7.1.8 and 8.1.2. This problem is documented by APAR IT22692.
In the most cases, the tape optimized recall operation will stop unexpectedly, and the recall command will create a core dump.
In rare cases, the tape optimized recall operation appears to finish successfully, but some files are corrupted anyway.
It makes no difference if the tape optimized recall is used to recall the files to "premigrated" or "resident" state.
Release and platforms affected
IBM Spectrum Protect for Space Management versions 7.1.8 and 8.1.2, on AIX and Linux platforms.
CONDITIONS REQUIRED FOR THE PROBLEM TO OCCUR
You use IBM Spectrum Protect for Space Management version 7.1.8 or 8.1.2 and you use the "tape-optimized recall" feature.
The IBM Spectrum Protect for Space Management option "HSMMAXRECALLTAPEDRIVES" is set to a value larger than 1. The default value is 5.
You have more than one tape drive available for "tape-optimized recall".
HOW TO DETERMINE IF YOU ARE POTENTIALLY AFFECTED
If the above conditions are true, then all data recalled with tape-optimized recall is potentially affected.
- Set the IBM Spectrum Protect for Space Management option "MIGFILEEXPIRATION" to the value 9999. This prevents IBM Spectrum Protect for Space Management reconcile operations from deleting old versions of the same file from the IBM Spectrum Protect server before they can be used to recover corrupted files.
- Set the IBM Spectrum Protect for Space Management option "HSMMAXRECALLTAPEDRIVES" to the value 1, or stop using the tape-optimized recall function, until the fixing code level is applied.
- Restart the recall daemon by issuing the following command sequence: dmkilld; sleep 5; dsmrecalld The restart of the recall daemon will automatically fix most of the corrupted files. Files that were in recall at the time the recall command stopped unexpected with a core dump will be re-stubbed and can be recalled again without a corruption.
- If the file lists you used for tape-optimized recall operations are still available, save them.
- Contact IBM Support for further assistance. The support team can help you with these actions:
- Identify affected data
- Determine if the data can be recovered
- Apply the fix for IT22692. The fix is included in IBM Spectrum Protect for Space Management versions 22.214.171.124 and 126.96.36.199.
- Perform the steps listed under "IMMEDIATE ACTION".
|Storage Management||IBM Spectrum Protect|
|Storage Management||Tivoli Storage Manager|
|Storage Management||Tivoli Storage Manager for Space Management|