IBM API Connect Support Lifecycle Policy
This document explains the support model of IBM API Connect and provides further information about the product's Continuous Delivery and Long Term Support releases.
IBM API Connect follows a Continuous Delivery (CD) model to accelerate delivery of new capabilities to meet market demand. As part of the CD support model, the product has two release streams: a Continuous Delivery (CD) release stream for rapidly delivering new functionality and a Long Term Support (LTS or LTSR) release stream for delivering key security updates and defect fixes.
Continuous Delivery (CD) release:
- Provides incremental new functionality on a regular cadence, intended for users wanting to exploit the latest features/capabilities and are able to update the product frequently.
- Released approximately once per quarter.
- Only the most recent release is supported at a given time. There is no extended support plan available for any CD release.
- New functionality, defect fixes, and security updates are all made available through a CD update package. Additional support (fixes), as determined by IBM, are provided through individual product fixes only on the most recent CD package.
Long Term Support (LTS or LTSR) release:
- Provides defect fixes and security updates but does not add new functionality, intended for users requiring the highest levels of stability.
- Released approximately once per year.
- Supported for a minimum of 2 years. There is no extended support plan available for any LTS release. IBM will publish a notice of support discontinuance (end-of-service) for an LTS release at least 12 months before the effective date.
- Product defect fixes and security updates are available for all active LTS releases.
- Use of API Connect & DataPower Long Term Support release (LTS) on a non-LTS release of Docker or Kubernetes may require clients to update their Docker or Kubernetes platforms. These platform updates may require clients to also update API Connect & DataPower.
API Connect V2018.x
Effective with the new major release in March 2018, API Connect has moved to a modern, date-based versioning (Year.Quarter.Release) format for product numbering and maintenance delivery. Thus 2018.1.0 is the 2018 release from the first quarter; the first update in the 1st quarter of 2018 would be versioned v2018.1.1.
API Connect V2018.x support schedule
|Year.Quarter.Update||Release Type||GA Date||End of Fix Support||End of Support|
|2018.1.0||CD||Mar 30, 2018||Apr 6, 2018||NA|
|2018.2.1||CD||Apr 6, 2018||Apr 13, 2018||NA|
|2018.2.2||CD||Apr 13, 2018||Apr 20, 2018||NA|
|2018.2.3||CD||Apr 20, 2018||Apr 27, 2018||NA|
|2018.2.4||CD||Apr 27, 2018||May 4, 2018||NA|
|2018.2.5||CD||May 4, 2018||May 11, 2018||NA|
|2018.2.6||CD||May 11, 2018||May 18, 2018||NA|
|2018.2.7||CD||May 18, 2018||May 25, 2018||NA|
|2018.2.8||CD||May 25, 2018||June 1, 2018||NA|
|2018.2.9||CD||June 1, 2018||June 8, 2018||NA|
|2018.2.10||CD||June 8, 2018||June 27, 2018||NA|
|2018.2.11||CD||June 27, 2018||July 6, 2018||NA|
|2018.3.1||CD||July 6, 2018||July 13, 2018||NA|
|2018.3.2||CD||July 13, 2018||July 20, 2018||NA|
|2018.3.3||CD||July 20, 2018||July 27, 2018||NA|
|2018.3.4||CD||July 27, 2018||August 3, 2018||NA|
|2018.3.5||CD||August 3, 2018||August 20, 2018||NA|
|2018.3.6||CD||August 20, 2018||September 13, 2018||NA|
|2018.3.7||CD||September 13, 2018||November 15, 2018||NA|
|2018.4.1.x||LTS||November 15, 2018||*||*|
* - Not yet announced
End of Fix Support
- This implies that the release stream (e.g. 2018.x.x.) is supported but specific CD release (e.g. 2018.2.1) is not supported.
- Not applicable for an LTS release.
End of Support
- This implies a version (e.g. 2018.x.x.) is no longer supported.
- Not applicable for a CD release.
API Connect V5.x
API Connect V5.x uses the V.R.M.F format for product numbering and maintenance delivery. It follows a Continuous Delivery support model. Following the initial release of Version 220.127.116.11, new function and enhancements are made available by incremental updates within the same version and release, referred to as Continuous Delivery (CD) releases. Periodically, releases will be designated as Long Term Supported (LTS) releases available for deployments that require security and defect fixes only, and cannot update on the CD schedule.
At a given time, only the most recent CD release is supported with defect and security fixes. LTS releases (currently 5.0.6.x, and 5.0.8.x) are supported with defect and security fixes until the GA of the next major version of API Connect. At this point, support for all existing LTS releases will be phased out and only the most recent release of API Connect (currently 5.0.8.x) will be designated as LTS, and will be supported with defect and security fixes for at least 2 more years. IBM will publish a notice of support discontinuance (end-of-service) for an LTS release at least 12 months before the effective date.
Subscribe to the API Connect V5.x lifecycle news feed:
API Connect V5.x support schedule
|V.R.M||Release Type||GA Date||End of Fix Support||End of Support|
|5.0.0||LTS||Feb 22, 2016||Mar 30, 2018||*|
|5.0.1||CD||Jun 01, 2016||Jul 01, 2016||*|
|5.0.2||CD||Jul 01, 2016||Aug 10, 2016||*|
|5.0.3||CD||Aug 10, 2016||Sep 22, 2016||*|
|5.0.4||CD||Sep 22, 2016||Nov 23, 2016||*|
|5.0.5||CD||Nov 23, 2016||Apr 02, 2017||*|
|5.0.6||LTS||Dec 21, 2016||Mar 30, 2018||*|
|5.0.7.x||CD||Apr 03, 2017||Oct 20, 2017||*|
|5.0.8.x||LTS||Sep 08, 2017||*||*|
* - Not yet announced
- The estimated frequency for LTS releases is approximately once per year, and CD releases roughly once per quarter.
- Only the most recent Continuous Delivery release is supported at a given time, to include LTS releases (that is, if 18.104.22.168 is a CD release and 22.214.171.124 is an LTS, 126.96.36.199 will not receive fixes after 188.8.131.52 is released).
- At any given time, product defect fixes and security updates are only available for the most recent CD and for all active LTS releases.
- Extended support is not available for any CD or LTS releases.
- Customers on IBM API Connect V5.0.0 (LTS) and V5.0.6 (LTS) are encouraged to upgrade to V5.0.8.x (LTS). IBM will not support the issues related to Debian 7 on which APIC V5.0.0 and V5.0.6 are built.**
- Clients are encouraged and expected to upgrade to V5.0.8.x (LTS) in order to receive on-going security updates and defect fixes.**
** - Typographical errors corrected. Please refer to the table above for the correct end of fix-support dates.
To get started with IBM Support, log into the IBM Support Community.
To learn more about IBM Support and how to get started, view the IBM is transforming Support blog.
|IBM API Connect||Not Applicable||Platform Independent||2018.3.1, 2018.3.2, 2018.3.3, 2018.3.4, 2018.3.5, 2018.3.6, 2018.3.7|
|IBM API Connect||Not Applicable||Platform Independent||2018.4.1.0, 2018.4.1.1, 2018.4.1.2, 2018.4.1.3, 2018.4.1.4|
More support for:
IBM API Connect
Component: Not Applicable
Software version: 5.0, 184.108.40.206, 220.127.116.11, 18.104.22.168, 22.214.171.124, 126.96.36.199, 188.8.131.52, 184.108.40.206, 220.127.116.11, 18.104.22.168, 22.214.171.124, 126.96.36.199, 188.8.131.52, 184.108.40.206, 220.127.116.11, 18.104.22.168, 22.214.171.124, 126.96.36.199, 188.8.131.52, 184.108.40.206, 220.127.116.11, 18.104.22.168, 22.214.171.124, 126.96.36.199, 2018.1.0.0, 2018.2.1, 2018.3.1, 2018.3.2, 2018.3.3, 2018.3.4, 2018.3.5, 2018.3.6, 2018.3.7, 2018.4.1.0, 2018.4.1.1, 2018.4.1.2, 2018.4.1.3, 2018.4.1.4
Operating system(s): Platform Independent
Reference #: 2006450
Modified date: 29 April 2019