Automate the configuration of Microsoft's Internet Information Service to support IBM Cognos Analytics
This tool automates the configuration steps based on the IBM Knowledge Center article – Configuring IIS with Cognos Analytics (https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/en/SSEP7J_11.0.0/com.ibm.swg.ba.cognos.inst_cr_winux.doc/t_gateway_iis.html)
These steps work for both 11.0.x versions of Cognos Analytics and 11.1.x versions.
As of Cognos Analytics 11.1.2, the batch file is now included in the software. It is located in the analytics\cgi-bin\templates directory.
Only continue with this document if you are using Cognos Analytics 11.1.1 and lower.
If you have a pre-existing Cognos Analytics virtual directory you would like to remove before running this script, you can properly remove it by following the instructions found at this link: https://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg22011418
NOTE: This batch file uses Microsoft's Internet Information Service's appcmd command line tool to perform the configuration and needs to run with administrator privileges. If there are any concerns on using this command or privilege level, then stop now and follow the manual steps to configure IIS.
The batch file below automates the steps in creating the application pool, alias, SSO, server farm and rewrite rules in IIS needed for Cognos Analytics. Pre-requisites before running this tool:
- IBM Cognos Analytics (CA) 11.0.4 gateway or higher installed
- Supported version of Microsoft Internet Information Services (IIS) installed with the following features:
- World Wide Web Services > Application Development Features > ISAPI Extentions and Isapi Filters
- World Wide Web Services > Security > Request Filtering and Windows Authentication
- Application Request Routing for IIS installed
Supported IIS versions, for CA, can be found on the IBM Cognos Analytics 11.x.x supported software Environment page.
Application Request Routing can be found at: https://www.iis.net/downloads/microsoft/application-request-routing
Before running the tool, you must enter the location of the CA gateway, alias name you want to use, etc.
1. Download the CA_IIS_config.zip file to your Cognos Analytics Gateway Server.
2. Extract the CA_IIS_config.bat file to a folder.
3. Open CA_IIS_config.bat in a text editor.
4. The variables, that are to modified, are located at the top of the file.
Only modify the variables mentioned in the table below.
|Variable Name||Description||Default Setting|
|set web_site||This is the pre-existing web site name, where your alias will be created.||Default Web Site|
|set app_pool||Name of the Application Pool that Cognos Analytics will use.||ICAPool|
This is the alias name in which Cognos Analytics will be accessed from.
NOTE: Setting an alias name that already exists in IIS will overwrite the existing entries in that alias with the new settings. It is suggested to use a alias name that does not already exists.
|set ca_path||Sets the location of the Cognos Analytics gateway folder.
The tool will perform a quick validation to see if Cognos Analytics has been installed in the location specified. It will also check to see if the gateway tier has been installed.
NOTE: The script will still execute even if there is an error.
The disp.protocol will set the reverse proxy URL to the proper protocol for the dispatcher(s).
Can be set to http or https
|This section is where all application dispatcher(s) in entered.
(Do not list "Content Manager Only" servers).
To enable single sign-on capabilities in IIS, set this to True. False to disable.
NOTE: This setting only performs the configuration based on the steps in Configuring IIS with Cognos Analytics. You will still have to perform the steps in the Enable single signon between Active Directory Server and IBM Cognos components section to fully enable SSO.
|set web_farm_name||If there are two or more dispatchers listed in the set ca_disp variable. You can leave the name as is or type in a new one. If only 1 dispatcher is listed, then just leave the name as is as it will not be used.||ca_servers|
Backing up IIS before running the configuration tool
Before running this tool, you should consider backing up your current IIS configuration. Refer to Microsoft's IIS documentation on how to do this.
Running the configuration tool
- Execute CA_IIS.config.bat by:
- Command prompt with administration privileges
- Windows explorer with Run as Administrator selected
- A command windows will open with the list of variables that you have configured. If they are incorrect then exit and reopen the bat file to correct the issue. If everything is correct, then press 'y' to continue.
Configuration is now complete. To verify, open IIS manager and check under your web site for the alias name you used in the tool.
Enabling SSO after disabling it in the tool
If SSO was disabled while running the tool, you can enable it again in IIS Manager. During the execution of the tool, SSO is configured but is then disabled. To enable it, perform the following:
1. Open IIS Manager.
2. Expand the web site and alias that was created.
3. Single click on the bi folder.
4. Click on URL Rewrite.
5. Find SSO Login, should be greyed out. Single click on it and on the right hand action pane, click on Enable Rule.
6. Find Legacy SSO, should be greyed out. Single click on it and on the right hand action pane, click on Enable Rule.
Script last tested against Cognos Analytics 11.1.1. This single script will configure 11.0.x and 11.1.1 versions
More support for:
Component: Administration and Configuration v11.0.x Administration and Configuration v11.1
Software version: 11.0.x, 11.1.x
Operating system(s): Windows
Software edition: All Editions
Reference #: 2000097
Modified date: 16 May 2019