Update Strategy for IBM Connections 6.0
Preventive Service Planning
This document describes the recommended strategy and steps for applying maintenance updates to IBM Connections 6.0. It includes important information on known issues.
Table of Contents:
- Section 1 - General Information
- Section 2 - List of IBM Connections 6.0 CRs
- Section 3 - Important Release Notes
- Section 4 - Software Requirements and Recommended Updates
- Section 5 - Instructions on applying Cumulative Refresh (CR) updates
It's important that you read this document to understand the requirements and the steps to deploy the latest IBM Connections 6.0 updates. This document is a summary of requirements for installing the latest updates.
Section 1 - General Information
- Updates for IBM Connections 6.0 are delivered via interim fixes called "Cumulative Refreshes" (CRs). CRs are cumulative. The latest CR will contain the changes included in all previous required iFixes and CRs. It is only necessary to install the latest CR to get all available changes.
- Cumulative Refreshes (CRs) consist of a set of cumulative fixes, one for each IBM Connections application. The entire application is updated. The CR includes multiple code changes bundled into a single package and verified together following IBM's interim fix delivery process.
- It is important to backup customization and product modifications made to the application prior to applying a set of CR interim fixes. Review the instructions to back up customization and product modifications in Section 5 - Instructions on applying Cumulative Refresh (CR) updates before installing the latest CR
- We recommend customers to apply the latest set of CR fixes as it becomes available. This ensures that all the applications in the IBM Connections environment are at the latest version. This in turn prevents the occurrence of known issues in your environment, increasing stability and minimizing downtime. It also helps expedite the resolution of newly reported issues.
Section 2 - List of IBM Connections 6.0 CRs
IBM Connections 6.0 CR1 (November 2017)
- Fix list for IBM Connections 6.0 CR1
- Fix Central download link for the IC 6.0 CR1 package (220.127.116.11-IC-Multi-CR01-LO92189)
- Fix Central download link for the IC 6.0 CR1 TDISOL package (LO93316)
Section 3 - Important Release Notes
- Important IC 6.0 CR1 Updates (2017-11-29):
- The original database schema scripts posted for IBM Connections 6.0 CR1 failed to properly register the IBM Connections Survey widget. The database schema scripts have been updated in Technote 2009306 to correct this problem. Refer to Technote 2022065 for more details.
- IBM Connections 6.0 CR1 implemented additional security measures for custom and third party widgets which requires them to be registered in the Widget Container. Refer to Technote 2011111 for more details.
- Active Content Filtering in IBM Connections 6.0 CR1 now uses a white-listing mechanism to provide additional security by only allowing uploads of content that meets your criteria. The legacy filtering feature that uses the black-listing mechanism is still supported. Refer to the topic Active content filters for more details.
- Refer to TechNote 2010545 for instructions to perform a Rollback for IC 6.0 CR1 with Metrics
- Make sure to download the latest version of the installer for installing IBM Connection 6.0 interim fixes (iFixes). While IBM Connections CRs does not use the Update Installer but interim fixes for IC 6.0 require the Update Installer. The latest version can be downloaded here - Fix Central download link for the 6.0 Update installer (build 2017-12-11).
- All IBM Connections 6.0 environments must apply the IC 6.0 Day1 and June 2017 Update iFixes unless applying IC 6.0 CR1 then those iFixes do not need to be installed.
- Information on issues with Google Chrome 60 refer to IBM Connections: Users unable to post status update comments and community events do not function after Google Chrome update (Technote 2007236) for a required update. The issues documented in this technote have been resolved in IC 6.0 CR1.
- For information regarding installing CCM on Windows Server 2016 refer to IBM Connections Content Manager 6.0 - Installation fails on Windows Server 2016 (technote 2008730)
- Review the System Requirements for IBM Connections 6.0 document.
- iFixes and required updates are available for download from Fix Central.
- Refer to the topic Updating IBM Connections 6.0 with the latest interim fix for details on installing interim fixes (iFix).
Section 4 - Software Requirements and Recommended Updates
Review this section for the software updates and requirements for your IBM Connections environment. The installation details are included in Section 5 - Instructions on applying Cumulative Refresh (CR) updates. The following table lists specific configuration requirements per CR level:
- IBM FileNet & IBM Connections 6.0 databases
The following are offerings are available to IBM Connections customers:
IBM Connections 6.0 Add-ons
The Component Pack for IBM Connections introduces new connectivity capabilities that enhance collaboration and boost productivity.
- The Orient Me home page provides your users with a cognitive view of their most essential Connections content. Orient Me shows users prioritized updates, with content from the people and communities they interact with the most at the top and grouped by source, or view a single stream based on time. The page is fully integrated with an updated Notification Center to truly make the home page a command center for managing time and attention. Orient Me is now included in the Component Pack for IBM Connections and is no longer available as a single download.
- Search and metrics capabilities based on ElasticSearch give you greater insights into your data. If you are an administrator, you can get meaningful metrics that demonstrate the business value of IBM Connections in your organization. You can chart Connections events such as every time that users read a blog entry, create a To Do item in an Activity, update a wiki page, or follow a Community. Community owners can also get metrics for the communities that they own. Track who visits the community, information shared such as comments, and participation in such activities as downloading file. Whether your organization is deploying metrics for the first time or migrating your existing Cognos metrics data to the new metrics, you can now visualize your data more easily with the improved interface.
- IBM Connections Customizer is a proxy service that lets you modify the IBM Connections user experience. Customizer intercepts and modifies requests from clients and responses from servers, so it can customize anything that flows through it, such as the behavior of APIs or the look-and-feel of the user interface.
- Fix Central download link for the Component Pack for IBM Connections 18.104.22.168
The Component Pack for IBM Connections 22.214.171.124 requires IBM Connections 6.0 CR1
Component Pack for IBM Connections includes the following services:
The Component Pack is available for download on Fix Central. You can perform a full installation to deploy all of the components, or use Starter Stacks to install specific components. Refer to the IBM Knowledge Center topic Optional: Installing the Component Pack for IBM Connections for details.
ElasticSearch Metrics Update for IBM Connections 6.0 CR1(APAR# LO93386) contains additional updates for ElasticSearch Metrics. This is a required iFix for customers who plan on deploying ElasticSearch Metrics. Additional information on ElasticSearch Metrics refer to the IBM Knowledge Center topic Configuring the Elasticsearch metrics component
The ElasticSearch Metrics Update requires the latest version of the Update Installer. The latest version can be downloaded here - Fix Central download link for the 6.0 Update installer (build 2017-12-11).
Ephox Editors - Textbox.io 2.2 for IBM Connections 6.0
The Ephox editor, Textbox.io, is a full featured editor to enhance content authoring with wikis, blogs, profiles, forums, activities, and communities in IBM Connections.
Updated 18-2-21: The new version of Ephox Editors for IBM Connections Version: 126.96.36.199 which includes Textbox.io Version: 188.8.131.52 is now available. The Ephox editor can the found at Fix Central
Note: The Ephox Editors requires an entitlement license
IBM Connections 6.0 Smart Type-ahead search
Try out the enhanced type-ahead Search from any page within Connections 6.0. This suggests content in the Search box based on content that you have previously interacted with. For example, if you have recently created, updated or even simply visited any content within Connections, this will appear as a suggestion in the type-ahead once you start to enter text in the Search input field that matches the title of this content. Refer to the topic Installing Type Ahead Search for installation details. IBM Connections smart Type-ahead search can the found at Fix Central here
Section 5 - Instructions on applying Cumulative Refresh (CR) updates
- These instructions are a summary of the procedure. They are intended to complement the product documentation pages on installing CRs. Review the topics under the Updating IBM Connections 6.0 page for more details specifically Updating IBM Connections 6.0 with the latest Cumulative Refresh (CR)
- IBM Connections 6.0 environments using Connections Content Management (CCM) will need to upgrade the FileNet installation as part of the upgrade to a 6.0 CR. IBM Connections environments that do not have CCM can follow these guides disregarding the FileNet sections. Here are Step-by-Step examples of applying a CR to IBM Connections 6.0 with CCM
- Technote 2009611 for installing IC 6.0 CR1 from IC 6.0
- For silently installing a fix pack to update IBM Connections please review the topics in Installing silently
- Important: Prior to applying a CR, it is important to back up customization and product modifications made to the application refer to the following: .
Always install the latest Cumulative Refresh (CR), as it contains the changes from all previous CRs. CRs are cumulative. It is only necessary to install the latest CR to get all available changes. For example, CR2 contains all the changes from CR1 plus the new changes added in CR2.
Before you begin:
Steps to install IBM Connections CRs
The installation of a 6.0 CR consist of the following steps:
- Upgrade WebSphere Application Server (optional but strongly recommended)
- Upgrade to the latest version of Install Manager
- IBM Connections CR installation
- Update Connections Databases (if required)
- Upgrade FileNet Components (if required)
- Update miscellaneous items
1. Upgrade WebSphere Application Server
Note: Review the System Requirements for IBM Connections 6.0 document to determine if your deployment has the most up to date supported version of WebSphere Application Server (WAS).
If you need to apply WebSphere Application Server (WAS) fixes or fixpacks, we recommend you install these prior to updating Connections. Applying WAS fixes follow these general steps:
1. Stop WAS processes (deployment manager, node agents, application servers).
2. Apply all WAS fixes.
3. In the soap.client.props file change the following change the SOAP Request Timeout to com.ibm.SOAP.requestTimeout=0 to ensure that no requests timeout during a CR install.
4. Restart WAS processes (deployment manager, node agents, application servers).
For detailed information on how to apply fixes and fix packs on WAS, review the Installing and uninstalling interim fixes and fix packs on distributed operating systems topics in the product documentation.
2. Upgrade to the latest version of the Installation Manager
Note: This section is not required when upgrading from IC 6.0 to IC 6.0 CR1.
Upgrade to the IBM Installation Manager 1.8.5 64 bit or above. The latest version of the install manager is available from Fix Central via this link: IBM Installation Manager
3. Install IBM Connections CR
2. Copy the CR package to the server on which the Deployment Manager is installed. Decompress the CR package downloaded in the step #1 into a temp directory.
3. If applying the CR to a clustered environment, ensure the WebSphere Application Server Deployment Manager is started and all node agents and application servers are shutdown.
4. Run the IBM Installation Manager from the server on which the Deployment Manager is installed to apply the CR.
5. Configure the repository in the IBM Installation Manager
- From the IBM Installation Manager menu, click File > Preferences.
- Click Repositories from the left navigation > Add Repository
- Enter the full path to the CR that you downloaded or click Browse to navigate to the location of the CR and then click OK. (The location is the temp directory in step #2)
In IC 6.0 CR1 for example: C:\Install\Connections CR\LC_version_Fixpack\Updates\repository.config
- The IBM Installation Manager indicates if it can connect to the repository.
- Click OK to save the new repository.
6. Apply the CR
- Click Update in the Installation Manager.
- The package group panel appears. Select the IC 6.0 package group (the default is IBM Connections) and click Next.
- Review and accept the license agreement by clicking I accept terms in the license agreements and then click Next.
- Ensure that all the applications are selected and click Next.
Note: All of the installed applications are selected by default. If you add any of the non-selected applications, those applications will be installed. If you clear any of the selected applications, those applications will be uninstalled.
- Enter the administrative ID and password of the Deployment Manager and click Validate. Once the administrative ID is validate, click Next.
- Review the summary information and click Update.
- When the update is completed, click Finish button.
- Start node agents, then perform a full synchronization to push the update to all nodes. Check the SystemOut.log of each nodeagent to ensure synchronization completed successfully.
4. Update Connections Databases
The necessary database updates are listed in Section 4 - Software Requirements and Recommended Updates of this document.
To apply the database updates:
- Download the database script package for the CR.
-- technote 2009306 for IC 6.0 CR1
- Review the steps to run the database update scripts for your database type.
- Run the commands for your database type.
- Stop the Node Agent
- Delete the contents of the cache under the App Server (i.e. C:\IBM\WebSphere\AppServer\profiles\AppSrv01\temp)
- Start node agents, then perform a full synchronization to push the update to all nodes. Check the SystemOut.log of each node agent to ensure synchronization completed successfully.
- Start the Connections Server
- Verify that the CR was successfully installed. Go to \IBM\Connections and open Version.txt to confirm the CR build number
- IC 6.0 CR1 build number: IC6.0_CR_Connections_20171116-0818
5. Upgrade FileNet Components
After applying an IBM Connections 6.0 CR1, you must upgrade FNCE Server & Client. Please read the entire install instructions before beginning the installation. The topic Updating IBM Connections 6.0 with the latest Cumulative Refresh (CR) has important information that must be followed when applying IBM Connections 6.0 CRs and the subtopic Post-update tasks has information on deploying the latest FileNet FixPacks and Interim Fixes.
There are examples of the FileNet installation process in the following technotes:
- Technote 2009611 for installing IC 6.0 CR1 from IC 6.0
6. Update miscellaneous items
Orient Me: For customer who have installed Orient Me refer to the topic Enabling profiles events for orient me for configuration details.
Installation Note: Make sure to clear the contents of the cache under the App Server by deleting the files in the directory C:\IBM\WebSphere\AppServer\profiles\AppSrv01\temp before restarting the node and cluster. Once the CR is installed restart DMGR and node agents then sync the nodes.
The IC 6.0 CR installation is complete; start the environment and you should be on the latest 6.0 CR.
Translate this page: