How to upgrade your version of Cognos Analytics
How do we upgrade our Cognos Analytics Environment to a higher release?
You can now upgrade your version of Cognos Analytics by performing an "over the top" installation. This is the default upgrade method and the simplest and easiest way to upgrade Cognos Analytics. All components are upgraded to a newer version using the same configuration details, ports, themes and extensions as your previous installation.
This Technote will describe how to perform an "over the top" upgrade.
For a video tutorial, please see the following video: How to upgrade your version of Cognos Analytics
Backup your Environment
Before you start it is important to make a full backup of your Cognos Environment on all servers.
- Content Store - Using your Database Management Tools while the system is offline, Please make a Full Backup of your Content Store.
- In Cognos Administration Perform a Full Content Store Export Deployment.
Preserving Customized Files
The Cognos Analytics upgrade process automatically preserves your configuration data when upgrading. However if you have customised your environment you will need to check the documentation to ensure that the files and directories you have customised are going to be preserved.
If they are not listed then please back them up manually.
In version 11.0.6 onwards it is possible to specify exactly which files and directories are preserved using the preserve.txt file. Further details on this are in the link above.
Download the version of Cognos Analytics you would like to install. For 11.1 it is necessary to download both the installation wizard and the accompanying zip file.
Ensure that you upgrade all Cognos Analytics components in your distribution. This includes all Cognos Servers - (Dispatchers, Content Managers, Optional Gateways) plus all client components such as Framework Manager and Dynamic Cube Designer. Remember that some servers may have server components and client components in different locations on the same server.
Steps For all components:
1. Stop the Cognos Analytics Service and close down Cognos Configuration. If you have installed an optional Gateway, please stop the Apache or IIS webserver services.
2. Launch the downloaded installation file and follow the wizard.
3. Choose your Language and click Next.
4. Choose What you want to install - for an upgrade this will be IBM Cognos Analytics click Next.
5. Choose to Accept the license and click Next.
6. Choose the location. This must be the location of your Cognos Analytics instance that you would like to upgrade and also the shortcut folder name. Click Next.
7. Click Yes to confirm you are Installing in the same location and are overwriting a previous installation.
8. Click Install at the summary screen.
9. When complete click Done to complete the upgrade.
10. Open Cognos Configuration - you will be prompted that older versions of Configuration files were found and configuration files have been upgrade to the latest version. click OK and Save your configuration.
11. Repeat the steps for all instances in your distributed environment before starting the Cognos Analytics Services and start the webserver
You have now successfully upgraded your Cognos Analytics environment.
NB: If you are using Unix/Linux without a graphical interface, you may need to upgrade via a silent install method. More information can be found in the related links section below.
Verifying the upgrade
To verify that the upgrade worked successfully go to the root of the cognos analytics install and open the cmplst.txt file for each of the components and verify that the kit_version has changed.
Related informationPreserved files and folders when upgrading Cognos Analytics (11.0.x)
Preserved files and folders when upgrading Cognos Analytics (11.1.x)
Unix/Linux silent install method
|Cognos Analytics||Administration and Configuration||Platform Independent||11.1||All Editions|
More support for:
Component: Administration and Configuration v11x
Software version: 11.0
Operating system(s): Platform Independent
Software edition: All Editions
Reference #: 1994915
Modified date: 26 March 2019