Security Bulletin: Tivoli Storage Manager (IBM Spectrum Protect) AIX Client Buffer Overflow (CVE-2016-5985)
The Tivoli Storage Manager (IBM Spectrum Protect) AIX client is vulnerable to a buffer overflow when Journal-Based Backup is enabled allowing a local attacker to execute arbitrary code on the system or cause a system crash.
DESCRIPTION: The IBM Tivoli Storage Manager (IBM Spectrum Protect) AIX client is vulnerable to a buffer overflow when Journal-Based Backup is enabled. A local attacker could overflow a buffer and execute arbitrary code on the system or cause a system crash.
CVSS Base Score: 8.4
CVSS Temporal Score: See https://exchange.xforce.ibmcloud.com/vulnerabilities/116555 for the current score
CVSS Environmental Score*: Undefined
CVSS Vector: (CVSS:3.0/AV:L/AC:L/PR:N/UI:N/S:U/C:H/I:H/A:H)
Affected Products and Versions
The following levels of IBM Tivoli Storage Manager (IBM Spectrum Protect) Client are affected on the AIX platform:
- 18.104.22.168 through 22.214.171.124
- 126.96.36.199 through 188.8.131.52
- 184.108.40.206 through 220.127.116.11
- 6.2, 6.1, and 5.5 all levels (these releases are EOS)
|Tivoli Storage Manager Client Release||First
|Link to Fix / Fix Availability Target|
|6.2, 6.1, and 5.5||AIX||Obtain a fixed version of the file path driver using the instructions provided below. Please contact IBM support if you have any questions.|
Obtain a fixed version of the file path driver (6.2, 6.1, and 5.5 clients only)
The following steps can be done to obtain a fixed version of the file path driver which includes the fix for this vulnerability:
- Download the interim fix package for one of the fixed releases (18.104.22.168, 22.214.171.124, or 126.96.36.199) using the link in the above table.
- The fix package, tivoli.tsm.filepath_aix, can be installed using smit and the following steps.
- Run smit from the directory that contains the package.
- Select 'Software Installation and Maintenance' from the menu.
- Select 'Install and Update Software' from the menu.
- Enter ./ for input device and press Enter.
- Press F4 to get a list of the software packages in the directory.
- Highlight the tivoli.tsm.filepath package and hit F7 to select it, then hit Enter.
- Hit Enter to start the install.
- If the installation succeeds, reboot the system.
Workarounds and Mitigations
Get Notified about Future Security Bulletins
On-line Calculator v3
IBM Product Security Incident Response Blog
10 November 2016 - Original version published
08 December 2016 - Added Please contact IBM support if you have any questions for 6.2 and below releases.
*The CVSS Environment Score is customer environment specific and will ultimately impact the Overall CVSS Score. Customers can evaluate the impact of this vulnerability in their environments by accessing the links in the Reference section of this Security Bulletin.
According to the Forum of Incident Response and Security Teams (FIRST), the Common Vulnerability Scoring System (CVSS) is an "industry open standard designed to convey vulnerability severity and help to determine urgency and priority of response." IBM PROVIDES THE CVSS SCORES "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, INCLUDING THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. CUSTOMERS ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR ASSESSING THE IMPACT OF ANY ACTUAL OR POTENTIAL SECURITY VULNERABILITY.
|Storage Management||Tivoli Storage Manager Extended Edition||Client||AIX||5.5, 6.1, 6.2, 6.3, 6.4, 7.1||All Editions|
More support for:
Tivoli Storage Manager
Software version: 5.5, 6.1, 6.2, 6.3, 6.4, 7.1
Operating system(s): AIX
Software edition: All Editions
Reference #: 1993695
Modified date: 08 December 2016
Translate this page: