"Windows installer has stopped working" when trying to install DB2 10.5 on Windows 2012 R2 (for use with Controller)
Customer would like to use Controller with DB2. Customer therefore tries to install DB2 10.5 RTM (original version) on their Windows 2012 R2 server. An error appears.
Windows installer has stopped working
Windows can check online for a solution to the problem
The original release of DB2 10.5 is incompatible with Windows 2012 R2.
- TIP: For more details, see separate IBM Technote #1669298.
Different versions of Controller come bundled with different versions of DB2.
- For example, Controller 10.2.1 is bundled with DB2 Workgroup Server Edition - Restricted Use V10.5 for Windows on AMD64 and Intel EM64T systems (x64) Multilingual (CIWN9ML)
NOTE: The 'restricted use' license (granted by purchasing Controller) allows the customer to use DB2 for Controller-related purposes only.
Therefore, when downloading Controller 10.2.1, the customer is offered the opportunity to also download the original (RTM) version DB2 10.5 server.
- Specifically, this is the file: DB2_10.5.0.3_limited_Win_x86-64.exe
If the customer double-clicks on DB2_10.5.0.3_limited_Win_x86-64.exe when logged onto Windows 2012 R2, then the error occurs.
DB2 server based on Windows 2012 R2.
Resolving the problem
Install the latest Fix Pack version of DB2 (instead of the original RTM version).
1. Download the latest DB2 10.5 Fix Pack from here: http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg27007053
2. Download the latest version of DB2 fix pack
At the time of writing this Technote, this is currently FP7
- TIP: This is the file 'v10.5fp7_ntx64_universal_fixpack.exe'
3. Logon to your DB2 server as a Windows administrator
4. Extract the file ' v10.5fp7_ntx64_universal_fixpack.exe'
5. Using this installation media, install DB2 (in the same way that you would have installed RTM).
IMPORTANT: After the installation process has finished, you will need to add a license the DB2 server
- This is because the Fix Pack does not contain a permanent license - it only contains a 'Trial license'.
- Therefore, if you do not perform this task, then after 90 days the DB2 database server will stop working.
6. Extract the DB2 10.5 RTM software (that comes bundled with Controller)
- In other words, extract 'DB2_10.5.0.3_limited_Win_x86-64.exe'.
7. Locate the file: ...DB2_LMT_USE_10.5_WIN_64\SERVER_R\image\db2\license\db2wse_o.lic
8. Copy the file 'db2wse_o.lic' to the DB2 server
- For example, copy it to: C:\UTILS\DB2\10.5\db2wse_o.lic
9. Launch 'DB2 Command Window - Administrator'
10. Run the following command: db2licm -a C:\UTILS\DB2\10.5\db2wse_o.lic
[Modify the file location as necessary].
You should receive a success message similar to:
11. Test that the license is registered, by typing the following command: db2licm -l
Before you updated the license, you should receive a message similar to:
Product name: "DB2 Advanced Enterprise Server Edition"
License type: "Trial"
Expiry date: "05/23/2016"
Product identifier: "db2aese"
Version information: "10.5"
After you update the license, you should receive a message similar to:
Product name: "DB2 Workgroup Server Edition"
License type: "Restricted"
Expiry date: "Permanent"
Product identifier: "db2wse"
Version information: "10.5"
Max amount of memory (GB): "128"