How to install the Controller local client
How to install the Controller local client
Customer would like simple step-by-step instructions on how to install the Controller client on a standard PC (for example an end user's laptop).
- TIP: For more in-depth instructions for a variety of different Controller versions (including how to install on a Citrix server) see separate IBM Technote #1608353.
These instructions are based on installing Controller 10.2.1/10.3.x on a 'standard' Windows 7 PC.
- The instructions may need to be altered slightly if using a different version of Controller
- Additional steps may be required if the customer has an unusual (non-standard) environment or requirement.
Resolving The Problem
1. Install a supported version of Microsoft Excel
- Controller 10.2.1 supports 32-bit versions of Excel 2007, 2010 and 2013 - plus Excel 2016 from Controller 10.2.1 FP4 onwards.
- Controller 10.3.x supports 32-bit versions of Excel 2010, plus 64-bit and 32-bit versions of Excel 2013 and 2016.
Office 365 is an Office subscription service from Microsoft that depending on the subscription level includes cloud versions and desktop versions of Office. For full details, see separate IBM Technote #1984103.
- Cognos Controller only supports the desktop installation of Excel 365 (versions 2013 and 2016)
- Some early versions of Controller only supports Office 365 when installed using the MSI method
- Later versions of Controller (for example 10.3.1) also supports Office 365 click-to-run for Office 2016 (version 1708 build 8431.2094 or higher)
2. Apply the latest Microsoft Office service pack and/or patches.
- For example, apply Excel 2007 SP3, Excel 2010 SP2 or Excel 2013 SP1 (or later if available).
3. Install a supported version of Adobe Acrobat Reader
- For example Adobe Reader XI
4. Ensure that the client device has the correct version of Microsoft .NET Framework installed
- For Controller 10.3.0 onwards, this is version 4.0
- For Controller 10.2.1 and earlier, this is version 2.0
5. If your client device’s Internet Explorer is configured to use a proxy server, then re-configure Internet Explorer to bypass using the proxy server for the Controller websites.
- TIP: For more information, see separate IBM Technote #1655498.
6. If using Controller 10.2.1:
- Download a copy of “Excel.exe.config” from this Technote.
- Copy the file Excel.exe.config into the same folder that Microsoft Office EXCEL.EXE is located
- - for example: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office12
7. Download the Controller local client installation file from the Controller application server.
- For Controller 10.2.1 (and earlier) this is: CCRLocalClient.MSI
- For Controller 10.3 (and later) this is typically: CCRLocalClient64.MSI
- However, if using a 32-bit Windows operating system, then instead the file is: CCRLocalClient32.MSI
The file can be easily downloaded from the Controller application server's website, for example: http://<servername>/ibmcognos/controllerbin/CCRLocalClient64.MSI
(Modify <servername> for the name of your Controller application server).
8. Double-click on the file (for example “CCRLocalClient64.MSI”)
9. When asked for WSS Url enter a value similar to: http://<servername>/ibmcognos/controllerserver
10. When asked for Help Url:
- Controller 10.2.1 and earlier: enter a value similar to: http://<servername>/ibmcognos/ControllerHelp
- Controller 10.3 and later: enter the following value: http://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter
For example (10.3):
TIP: Unless you have a specific requirement, do not tick 'Use custom cache directory'.
11. If using Controller 10.3 (or later) you have a choice to install the Controller client to an alternative location:
12. Check to ensure that the end user (who will be launching Controller) has access to the internet (in other words, if they launched Internet Explorer, could they freely connect to websites without having to logon to a proxy server for example?).
- If the user cannot freely connect to the internet (for example you have installed the Controller client onto a Citrix/Terminal server with no access to the internet) then you will need to perform one of the solutions described in separate Technote #1347312.
- TIP: The author generally recommends that the solution in Technote #1441779 is the easiest to implement.
13. Finally, test by launching the Controller client from the new Start Menu item/icon.
Related information1608353 - How to install/upgrade Controller server/clie
1347312 - Very poor performance of Controller when clie
1441779 - Slow performance due to Certificate Checking
1984103 - Is Office 365 supported for Controller?
More support for:
Software version: 10.2.1, 10.3, 10.3.1
Operating system(s): Windows
Reference #: 1965917
Modified date: 28 September 2018