Supportability Q&A about IBM Notes and OS X 10.11.x
This technote contains questions and answers pertaining to installing and running IBM Notes on Apple's OS X 10.11.x El Capitan.
** For related technotes about Notes and other OS X versions, refer to the Index of Supportability Q&A technotes for Notes and OS X and Windows (technote 1998488) **
Q1. Does IBM Notes support Apple's OS X 10.11 El Capitan?
IBM Notes 9.0.1 64-bit for Macintosh released on Sep 29th, 2015 (English) and Oct 13th, 2015 (all other languages) supports OS X 10.11 and 10.10.
The previously released IBM Notes 9.0.1.x 32-bit versions do not support El Capitan and will not install or launch on this release.
Q2. What versions of Notes are supported on OS X 10.11 El Capitan?
- IBM Notes 9.0.1 64-bit released in Fall of 2015 supports OS X 10.11 and Oracle JRE 1.8. Prior releases, including IBM Notes 9.0.1.x 32-bit and Notes 8.5.x, are not supported.
- IBM Client Application Access (ICAA) was released at the same time as Notes 9.0.1 64-bit and it also works with El Capitan. This ICAA release is a 64-bit Mac version of the feature formerly called Notes Browser Plug-in, which was available only on Windows. This lightweight solution helps clients who want to move to a browser-based interface for email (IBM SmartCloud Notes web, IBM Verse, or iNotes), while continuing to work with existing Notes and Domino applications on-premise.
- NOTE: If you are running applications that make use of the Notes C API Toolkit, then you must recompile those application with the new 64-bit Mac API Toolkit. The Toolkit was released November 2015.
Q3. Can I install Notes 32-bit 9.0.1.x or earlier on a Mac running El Capitan beta prior to the release of Notes 9.0.1 64-bit?
No. IBM Notes 9.0.1.x 32-bit will not function on El Capitan.
Q4. What does IBM recommend in regard to IBM Notes and El Capitan?
IBM recommends installing Notes 9.0.1 64-bit released in Fall 2015. This release can be installed and is supported on OS X 10.10 (Yosemite) and OS X 10.11 (El Capitan). IBM Notes 9.0.1 64-bit for Mac also requires Oracle JRE 1.8 or higher.
Instructions to move from 32-bit to 64-bit
- Step 1: Uninstall 32-bit Notes 9.0.1. The 32-bit version must be uninstalled first. Attempting to install 64-bit will prompt users to uninstall 32-bit version of Notes first. To uninstall, run the uninstall program using either the 9.0.1 32-bit package or the 9.0.1 64-bit package, which contains an uninstall program.
- Step 2: Install 64-bit Notes 9.0.1: Install 64-bit Notes 9.0.1. You can install either before upgrading to OS X 10.11 or after. Customers may choose to install 64-bit Notes 9.0.1 before upgrading the OS to 10.11 as this will ensure no Notes downtime.
Q5. Where can I download IBM Notes 9.0.1 64-bit or the Mac 64-bit API Toolkit?
Notes 9.0.1 64-bit is available for download from IBM Passport Advantage Online, Partner downloads, and in IBM Connections Cloud for SmartCloud Notes customers (see below table for more information).
|IBM Notes 9.0.1 MAC 64 bit English||
CN6VDEN - Production
CIQ7NEN - Evaluation
|IBM Notes v9.0.1 Mac 64 Bit Mac OS X Spanish French & Portuguese Brazilian
CN746ML - Production
CN74EML - Evaluation
|IBM Notes v9.0.1 Mac 64 Bit Mac OS X Italian & Geman||
CN747ML - Production
CN74FML - Evaluation
|IBM Notes v9.0.1 Mac 64 Bit Mac OS X Japanese & Korean||
CN745ML - Production
CN74DML - Evaluation
|IBM Notes v9.0.1 Mac 64 Bit Mac OS X Chinese||
CN744ML - Production
CN74CML - Evaluation
|IBM Notes v9.0.1 Mac 64 Bit Mac OS X Portuguese & Turkish||
CN74BML - Production
|IBM Notes v9.0.1 Mac 64 Bit Mac OS X Polish & Russian||
CN74AML - Production
|IBM Notes v9.0.1 Mac 64 Bit Mac OS X Finnish Norwegian & Swedish||
CN749ML - Production
|IBM Notes v9.0.1 Mac 64 Bit Mac OS X Danish & Dutch||
CN748ML - Production
|IBM C API Toolkit for Notes/Domino 9.0.1 Mac 64 bit English||
IBM Connections Cloud and IBM SmartCloud Notes customers can download Notes 9.0.1 64-bit. See the following document and use the part #s above: FAQ: Software downloads for IBM SmartCloud Notes customers.
In addition to Passport advantage or partner downloads, anyone can download the Toolkit from the IBM Software Download site as follows:
1. Go to the IBM C API Toolkit for Notes/Domino 9.0.1 API Download
2. Navigate through to download the following:
IBM C API Toolkit for Notes/Domino 9.0.1 Mac 64 bit English - C_API_TKT_NOTDOM901_64b_MACEN.zip (18 MB)
Q6. Notes 9.0.1 64-bit for Mac was released in Fall 2015. Does it have all of the fixes in the latest Notes Fix Pack and will it function with future Fix Packs?
Notes 9.0.1 64-bit for Mac has all of the defect fixes that were included in 9.0.1 Fix Pack 4. There are no plans for future 32-bit Mac fix packs beyond FP4. Instead use 64-bit Mac 9.0.1.
Additionally, instead of providing fix packs for Notes Mac 64-bit, incremental fixes will be provided to include any content from future Notes Fix Packs. Specifically, when 9.0.1 FP5 and future ships for Notes, a separate patch will be provided for 9.0.1 Mac 64-bit to include necessary fixes.
Q7. What version of Sametime is embedded in Mac Notes 9.0.1 64-bit?
The embedded version is Sametime 9.0 64-bit but A/V (audio/video) capabilities are disabled as the 64-bit version for those features was not available in the Fall of 2015. A patch to update Sametime embedded 64-bit with A/V capabilities is expected in Q4 2015.
Q8. Where can I download latest standalone Sametime release that supports Yosemite?
For details on where to download the latest Sametime package, see technote 1688304 and follow the link for "Sametime Clients" in the table. This will be updated with a Sametime 64-bit release that also supports OS X 10.11 El Capitan in Q4 of 2015.
Q9. Are there any known issues?
IBM Notes 9.0.1.x 32-bit - Not supported, triggers one or more of the following issues:
- "Failed to launch platform provisioning. Refer to User/<current user./Library/Application Support/IBM Notes Data/Expeditor/Applications/logs/rcplauncher.log for more information."
- "The Installation Failed. The installer encountered an error that caused the installation to fail. Contact the software manufacturer for assistance."
- “This package is incompatible with this version of OS X and may fail to install”
- “IBM Notes” cannot be opened. This application requires the legacy Java SE 6 runtime which is unavailable for this version of OS X.
|Messaging Applications||IBM Client Application Access|
More support for:
Software version: 9.0.1, 126.96.36.199, 188.8.131.52, 184.108.40.206, 220.127.116.11
Operating system(s): OS X
Software edition: All Editions
Reference #: 1962311
Modified date: 08 February 2017