Starting RPT results in Java application error
Attempts to start up IBM Rational Performance Tester (RPT) results in the Java Application error "java.lang.reflect.InvocationTargetException" when HP Quick Test Professional (QTP) Java Add-in is installed.
Steps to Reproduce:
- Install RPT
- Install HP QTP Java Add-in
- Start RPT
Expected results: RPT starts up normally
Actual Results: RPT fail to start with the following error:
Eclipse: "An error occured. See the log file"
HP QTP Java add-in is affecting Java global environment variables.
Note: This issue can happen with any other products that hook Java environment variables.
Resolving the problem
Remove the following environment variables by following either option A or B.
Option A: Recommended for using RPT and HP QTP simultaneously.
- Open command prompt
- Execute the following commands
Note: There should not be any blank space after the = sign
- Execute set command without any arguments to confirm the variables are removed
- Navigate (cd) to the folder where eclipse is installed using the same command shell
cd C:\Program Files\IBM\SDP
- Start RPT with -clean option
- Right click My Computer
- Click Properties > Advanced settings > Environment Variables
- Locate IBM_JAVA_OPTIONS and JAVA_TOOL_OPTIONS in this list
- Backup the values to a notepad
- Remove the environment variables