Known limitation in license denial report
Can the Rational License Key Server Administration and Reporting Tool report higher than actual license denials through the Denial Out-Of-Box report?
The Rational License Key Server Administration and Reporting Tool might report higher than actual license denials through the Denial Out-Of-Box report in the following scenarios:
- A license file has multiple increment lines for the same feature.
This example shows situation:
INCREMENT f1 5
INCREMENT f1 10
In this example, a total of 15 licenses are available for feature f1.
If five licenses for f1 are consumed and a sixth license is requested, Rational License Key Server grants this request from the license pool that corresponds to the second increment line (INCREMENT f1 10).
Before granting this request, Rational License Key Server logs a license denied message in its log file because the license could not be granted from the license pool that corresponds to the first increment line.
Then, Rational License Key Server grants the requested license.
This denial is incorrectly included in the denial report.
- When Rational License Key Server report logs are enabled, a denial report shows twice the number of actual license denials.
Note: Rational License Key Server license server can produce two types of logs: report logs and debug logs.
- Debug logs are enabled by default, for example lmgrd.log file.
- Report logs are disabled by default.
- For Rational products that use linger time while they request a license, denial reports for token licenses might show triple the number of actual license denials. This limitation applies to some versions of Rational ClearCase.
- When multiple license servers are used in a deployment, Rational products request licenses from the servers in a specific order.
If the first configured license server cannot grant the requested license, the request is routed to the second configured license server, where it might be granted. However, in such a scenario, a denial message is logged in the log file of the first configured license server.
This denial is included in the denial report.
More support for:
Rational License Key Server
RLKS Administration and Reporting Tool
Software version: 8.1.4
Operating system(s): AIX, Linux, Solaris, Windows
Reference #: 1652204
Modified date: 2014-01-28