Attempts to run an application in IBM Rational Purify for Windows result in the warning of unable to update settings in _pure.ini file.
When you click Run button to in Rational Purify GUI, it shows the warning message:
Warning: Unable to update settings in C:\Program Files\IBM\RationalPurifyPlus\x64\cache\Purify64\PUTs\...\hello_pure.ini.
The follow is a sample screen shot of the warning message.
The Windows user account has UAC (User Account Control) turned on.
This issue happens to Windows Vista only.
Resolving the problem
You can choose one of the following solutions to fix the problem.
You can turn off the UAC for the user following the steps below.
- Go to Start > Control Panel > User Accounts
- Click on Turn User Account Control on or off
- Click on Continue button when a dialogue shows Windows need your permission to continue
- Uncheck on Use User Account Control (UAC) to help protect your computer followed by clicking on OK
- Click on Restart Now to apply the change.
If you want to turn UAC on due to security concern, change the registered cache directory to a folder where the user has the write permission.
This solution contains information about modifying the system registry. Before making any modifications to the Microsoft Registry Editor, it is strongly recommended that you make a backup of the existing registry. For more information describing how to back up the registry, refer to Microsoft Knowledge Base article 256986
- Open Windows Registry by clicking Start and type
regediteither in the Run box or Search box then press Enter key
- Navigate to HKCU > Software > Rational Software > PurifyPlus > User Profile
- Modify the value of Directory from
C:\Program Files\IBM\RationalPurifyPlus\x64\cacheto a directory where the user has the write permission.