This document applies only to the following language version(s):
While upgrading from Notes 8.5.3 Fix Pack 2 to a higher Fix Pack or point release, using Smart Upgrade and SURUNAS on Windows 7,
"Congratulations, Lotus Notes has been successfully updated"
However, when you restart Notes you notice the version is still at 8.5.3 Fix Pack 2, although there was no indication that the upgrade failed.
Steps to reproduce
1. Create a SURunas.exe and attach the Notes 8.5.3 Fix Pack 3 or Fix Pack 4 webkit using a silent command line like this one: -s -a /s /v"/qn"
Note: /qn is needed when using SURunas on Windows 7 to avoid the interactive services popup box.
Add the webkit to the Smart Upgrade Kit as shown in the screen shot below:
2. Launch Notes 8.5.3FP2 with a non-admin Windows 7 user account.
3. Run Smart Upgrade, either by being automatically prompted or manually by going to Tools - Smart Upgrade .
4. Notes will upgrade with the following message indicating that the upgrade has finished "Congratulations, Lotus Notes has been successfully updated".
5. If you start Notes right after this message you will notice that Notes is still at 853FP2.
6. Examine the log file c:\install.log and you will also see the upgrade has failed because Notes was started before the upgrade was finished (this was due to the user thinking the upgrade was finished due to the message "Congratulations, Lotus Notes has been successfully updated").
This particular issue is caused by SUService.exe, which is a service installed by default on 8.5.3 and above clients, as a listener for SURunas. SUService.exe detects when the user is trying to run SURunas.exe to upgrade Notes.
The prompt "Congratulations, Lotus Notes has been successfully updated" is thrown by Smart Upgrade code when the file that Smart Upgrade runs finishes running. When using SURunas, Smart Upgrade passes SURunas.exe to SUService.exe, which runs it. Therefore, Smart Upgrade runs SUService.exe, which runs the SURunas.exe package. Once SUService.exe (the file Smart Upgrade runs) completes its job, Smart Upgrade is reporting "finished", even though the install has just begun.
Resolving the problem
This issue has been reported as SPR# PMLN9AJM7N and is fixed starting with the 8.5.3 Fix Pack 5 versions of SUService.exe and SUSetRunAsWizard.exe. See the steps listed below for further instruction.
1. Download the Notes 8.5.3FP5 webkit. (Download options for Notes/Domino 8.5.3 Fix Packs - technote 4032242)
2. Unpack 8.5.3FP5 webkit to a folder on the local drive. To do this, manually run the Fix Pack and extract to a folder.
3. Replace the earlier version SUService.exe with the 853FP5 SUService.exe (copy it into the Notes program directory)
4. Create the SURunas.exe with the 853FP5 SUSetRunAsWizard.exe.
The issue described above applies only to upgrades from 8.5.3 Fix Pack 2 and above. If upgrading from earlier versions, note the issue described in the technote linked below, which is fixed in 8.5.3 Fix Pack 2.
-- User still prompted by UAC when running SURunas with Smart Upgrade (technote 1624889)