User launches Controller client. User chooses database. Controller client hangs. User never receives the expected 'logon' screen.
User launces the Controller client, and receives the choice of databases (as expected). After selecting the database, the screen remains looking like this:
The logon screen (see below) never appears:
There are several potential causes for these/similar symptoms.
- For example, see separate IBM Technote #1587151.
This Technote relates to the scenario where the cause is that the client device cannot resolve the NetBIOS name of the Controller application server.
This problem will not affect all environments. One possible environment is where:
- Controller application server's settings are configured to use NetBIOS naming convention ("servername")
- Controller client (running on the end user's device) has the local client (CCRLocalClient.MSI) installed which is configured to use FQDN naming convention ("servername.company.com").
Resolving the problem
Reconfigure client device so that it can resolve the NetBIOS name of the server.
There are many different methods to achieve this. The two simplest are:
(1) Modify the client device's DNS suffix search order so that it includes the server's FQDN DNS suffix
(2) Modify the client device's 'hosts' file so that it can resolve the IP address via that.
- For example, run the command: notepad c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
- Then create an entry for the NetBIOS name of the server, together with the IP address.