Users are unable to access Cognos Express and are presented with SDK-ERR-0088. Administrators are unable to start the IBM Cognos Express service.
On attempting to start the IBM Cognos Express service, administrators see the message:
"The IBM Cognos Express service on Local Computer started and then stopped. Some services stop automatically if they have no work to do, for example, the Performance logs and Alerts service."
The icognosexpress &/or Service account on the local machine has a password expiration date prior to the current date.
Alternatively the password was changed on the account (either icognosexpress &/or the Service account).
Diagnosing the problem
Review the cogserver.log file from the \LOGS directory of the installation folder. When the service attempts to start, an error is logged:
[jcc][t4][3.53.100] Connection authorization failure occurred. Reason: User ID or password invalid. ERRORCODE=-4214,
SQLSTATE=28000 Cause: [jcc][t4][3.53.100] Connection authorization failure occurred. Reason: User ID or Password invalid.
Resolving the problem
First ensure that both the password & account have not expired for the accounts used by the Cognos Express services.
If both the icognosexpress and a service account are in use, please check both of them.
Once confirmed OK, complete the following:
1) Open a command prompt with Administrator privileges on the server.
2) Launch the file cogconfig.bat, located in express_installation_location\bin
3) In IBM® Cognos® Configuration, under Data Access > Content Manager > IBM Cognos Content Store, in the User ID and password field, change the password to the new password that you set for the system account.
4) Save and apply the changes and exit IBM Cognos Configuration.
5) Do not start the service when you exit IBM Cognos Configuration.
6) Open the Windows Services window and restart the IBM Cognos Express service.