Security Bulletin: Elevated privileges vulnerability in Connect:Direct for UNIX on AIX 6.1 and above (CVE-2013-2989)
A user who has been successfully authenticated by Connect:Direct for UNIX executes Connect:Direct’s file copying functionality with elevated file system privileges.
CVE ID: CVE-2013-2989
DESCRIPTION: A user who has been successfully authenticated by Connect:Direct for UNIX executes Connect:Direct for UNIX’s file copying functionality with elevated file system privileges. An authenticated user can exploit the vulnerability to bypass file system permissions: the user can read a file without having read permission and overwrite a file without having write permission. The vulnerability only occurs on AIX 6.1 and above.
CVSS Base Score: 6.8
CVSS Temporal Score: See https://exchange.xforce.ibmcloud.com/vulnerabilities/84016 for the current score
CVSS Environmental Score*: Undefined
CVSS Vector: (AV:L/AC:L/Au:S/C:C/I:C/A:C)
The recommended solution is to apply the fix for each version as soon as practical. See below for information on the available fixes.
· Version 4.1.0: apply the iFix for IC86449 or any iFix dated 24 January 2013 or later.
· Version 4.0.00: apply the iFix for IC86449 or any iFix dated 10 September 2012 or later.
· Version 3.8.00: apply the iFix for IC86449 or any iFix dated 1 February 2013 or later.
• None known.
• Until the fix is applied, for each user defined in the Connect:Direct User File, use Connect:Direct’s User Authorities to restrict the access of the user to the appropriate part of the file system for that user.
• Complete CVSS Guide
• On-line Calculator V2
• X-Force Vulnerability Database
• IBM Secure Engineering Web Portal
• IBM Product Security Incident Response Blog
*The CVSS Environment Score is customer environment specific and will ultimately impact the Overall CVSS Score. Customers can evaluate the impact of this vulnerability in their environments by accessing the links in the Reference section of this Flash.
Note: According to the Forum of Incident Response and Security Teams (FIRST), the Common Vulnerability Scoring System (CVSS) is an "industry open standard designed to convey vulnerability severity and help to determine urgency and priority of response." IBM PROVIDES THE CVSS SCORES "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, INCLUDING THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. CUSTOMERS ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR ASSESSING THE IMPACT OF ANY ACTUAL OR POTENTIAL SECURITY VULNERABILITY