Update strategy for IBM Connections 4.5
Preventive Service Planning
This document describes the recommended strategy and steps for applying maintenance updates to IBM Connections 4.5.
Table of Contents:
- Section 1 - Important Release Notes
- Section 2 - Requirements
- Section 3 - General Information
- Section 4 - Customization and product modifications
- Section 5 - List of CRs
- Section 6 - Recommended WebSphere Application Server Fix Pack
- Section 7 - Instructions on applying Cumulative Refresh (CR) updates
Section 1 - Important Release Notes
1. Please review the System Requirements for IBM Connections 4.5 document for changes that may be necessary for newer IBM Connections 4.5 fix levels.
2. CR1 CCM package looks for the application name in UPPER CASE, which is "FNCS". If the application name is not in UPPER CASE, the CCM package will not install. Please re-install the application, and specify its name in all UPPER CASE letters.
3. Please review the technote Error applying an IBM Connections fix using the Update Installer if you have problems applying the CR using the Update Installer.
4. It is recommended that IBM Connections and IBM FileNet components are updated to the latest supported level before proceeding with configuration steps.
5. IBM Connections 4.5 CR3 includes new functions. Please review the " New functions included in IBM Connections 4.5 CR3" document the list of functions and how to enable them if necessary.
6. For environment with a large size of Metrics data, installing IBM Connections 4.5 CR3 will run a ones time process to process the data, and it may run out of memory. If you have a large amount of Metrics data, it is recommended increasing the Java heap size for Metrics to 4,000 MB temporarily to avoid the out of memory error during this one-time processing after installing CR3. After the process completes, you can revert back to the previous value for Java heap size. This issue will not occur if installing CR4 or higher, because it includes APAR LO79329 which addresses the issue.
7. IBM Connections 4.5 CR3 deployment that have Mobile Administration enabled need to apply APAR 78588 iFix. See APAR LO78588 description for details. Download via this link in Fix Central. 4.5 CR4 and higher already include this APAR, so no action is need.
8. IBM Connections 4.5 CR4 includes new functions. Please review the " New functions included in IBM Connections 4.5 CR4" document the list of functions and how to enable them if necessary.
Section 2 - Requirements
For general requirements, please review the System Requirements for IBM Connections 4.5 document.
This table lists specific configuration requirements per CR level:
|CR level||IBM FileNet (if using CCM)||Database Updates|
|CR1||FileNet updates required. See this technote for details.
|CR2||Metrics database update required. See this technote for details.|
|CR3||Files, Wikis, Homepage, and Metrics database updates required. See this technote for details.|
|CR4||Blogs, Communities, Homepage, and Mobile database updates are required. See this technote for details.|
|CR5||Blogs and Mobile database updates are required. See this technote for details.|
Section 3 - General Information
Updates for IBM Connections 4.5 are delivered via interim fixes called "Cumulative Refresh" (CR). CRs are cumulative. The latest CR will contain the changes included in all previous CRs. It is only necessary to install the latest CR to get all available changes.
Cumulative Refreshes (CRs) consists of a set of cumulative fixes, one for each IBM Connections application. The entire application is updated.
The CR includes multiple code changes, bundled into a single package and verified together following IBM's interim fix delivery process.
We recommend customers to apply the latest set of CR fixes as it becomes available. This ensures that all the applications in the IBM Connections environment are at the latest version. This in turn prevents the occurrence of known issues in your environment, increasing stability and minimizing downtime. It also helps expedite the resolution of newly reported issues.
It is important to backup customizations and product modifications made to the application prior to applying a set of CR interim fixes. Please refer to this page in the product documentation for details:
Section 4 - Customization and product modifications
Customization changes to IBM Connections should be performed in accordance to the product documentation. Please review the Customizing the user interface topic in the product documentation for details. Most customizations that you make to product files are stored in the customization directory. These include:
1. Changes to any static file, like images, CSS, HTML and text files.
2. Changes to "real" files, that is, files that are not generated at runtime and get served directly to the browser.
3. Changes to JSP files using a standard include request, <jsp:include page="myjspfragment.jspf" .../> and <c:import url= myjspfragment.jspf/>.
There is a set of files that cannot be customized using the customization directory stated in the product documentation. Please review this list of customizable objects, which cannot be customized using the customization directory:
1. Changes to JSP files using the JSP include directive. For example: <%@ include file="myjspfragment.jspf"%>.
2. Changes to files within a Java Archive (JAR) file. For example: adding custom strings to the ui.properties file in the lc.profiles.web.app-3.0.jar archive in order to customize error messages for field validation.
3. Changes to Java classes (Java class files).
4. Changes to TAG files. These are used in Communities and Forums.
5. Changes to TLD files.
6. Changes to most XML configuration files within the WEB-INF directory. This includes web.xml.
IBM support recommends that customization changes be made only within the customization directory. Changes that cannot be made using the customization directory are known as product modifications.
Product modifications refer to changes made to IBM Connections product files directly in the product installation directories (for example, within an application directory). These changes will be overwritten by fixes applied to the product. These changes must be backed up prior to the application of product fixes and then merged into the installed product files. They should also be properly documented by the customer, to have a record of the changes made and quickly determine if something needs to be merged into the updated product files. By default the application directories are located at this path:
This is a sample path in Microsoft Windows for the Activities application installed in the default location:
Keep in mind that depending on the extent of the file modifications made by the user and the extent of the changes done by IBM to said files, it may be necessary for the system administrators to work with the application development team to resolve merge issues.
In addition to customizing the user interface, you may have also created custom security role mappings in the WebSphere Application Server Integrated Solutions Console for one or more of the IBM Connections applications. These custom security roles will need to be re-mapped.
Section 5 - List of CRs
1. IBM Connections 4.5 CR1 (Released June 26, 2013)
- Fix list for IBM Connections 4.5 CR1
- Fix Central download link for the 4.5 CR1 package (184.108.40.206-IC-Multi-CR01-LO75060)
2. IBM Connections 4.5 CR2 (Released September 16, 2013)
- Fix list for IBM Connections 4.5 CR2
- Fix Central download link for the 4.5 CR2 package (220.127.116.11-IC-Multi-CR02-LO76350)
3. IBM Connections 4.5 CR3 (Released December 3, 2013)
- Fix list for IBM Connections 4.5 CR3
- Fix Central download link for the 4.5 CR3 package (18.104.22.168-IC-Multi-CR03-LO77120)
4. IBM Connections 4.5 CR4 (Released March 31, 2014)
- Fix list for IBM Connections 4.5 CR4
- Fix Central download link for the 4.5 CR4 package (22.214.171.124-IC-Multi-CR04-LO78429)
- Fix Central download link for the 4.5 TDISOL package (126.96.36.199-IC-Multi-TDISOL-LO79772)
5. IBM Connections 4.5 CR5 (Released August 4, 2014)
- Fix list for IBM Connections 4.5 CR5
- Fix Central download link for the 4.5 CR5 package (188.8.131.52-IC-Multi-CR05-LO79880)
- Fix Central download link for the 4.5 TDISOL package (184.108.40.206-IC-Multi-TDISOL-20140710)
Note: The latest version of the update installer is required to apply the CR interim fixes. Please see the information in step #1 of the Instructions on applying Cumulative Refresh (CR) updates section to obtain the latest version of the update installer.
Review all sub-topics in the Updating IBM Connections 4.5 topic of the product documentation.
Section 6 - Recommended WebSphere Application Server Fix Pack
IBM WebSphere Application Server 8.0 FP8 (220.127.116.11) (with specific WAS iFixes) is the latest supported WAS fix pack and recommended for all IBM Connections 4.5 environments. Please review the detailed system requirements page for more details, which includes a list of required WAS iFixes for each supported fix pack.
IBM Connections 4.5 - Detailed system requirements
|IBM Connections 4.5 CR4 and above recommends WAS 18.104.22.168.
Fix required for WAS v22.214.171.124:
PI13028 - Fix Central iFix for PI13028 - CVE-2014-0098: Potential vulnerability in IBM HTTP Server mod_log_config
Section 7 - Instructions on applying Cumulative Refresh (CR) updates
Always install the latest CR, as it contains the changes from all previous CRs. CRs are cumulative. It is only necessary to install the latest CR to get all available changes. For example, CR5 contains all the changes from CR1, CR2, and CR3, CR4 plus the new changes added in CR5.
These instructions are a summary of the procedure. They are intended to complement the product documentation pages on installing interim fixes. Please review the topics under the Updating IBM Connections 4.5 page for more details.
If you need to apply WebSphere Application Server (WAS) fixes or fixpacks, we recommend you install these prior to updating Connections. Applying WAS fixes follow these general steps:
1. Stop WAS processes (deployment manager, node agents, nodes).
2. Apply all WAS fixes.
3. Restart WAS processes (deployment manager, node agents, nodes).
For detailed information on how to apply fixes and fix packs on WAS, please review the Installing and uninstalling interim fixes and fix packs on distributed operating systems topics in the product documentation.
Once WAS is updated, you will install IBM Connections fixes and CRs next, by following these steps:
1. Download the latest version of the update installer. The latest version of the update installer is available from Fix Central via this link: 126.96.36.199-IC-Multi-UPDI-20131020.
2. Download the latest CR update, and any additional fixes you want to install. The latest CR update is on Fix Central, listed in Section #5 of this document.
3. Replace the update installer directory within the IBM Connections installation directory. For example, if you have IBM Connections installed in C:\IBM\Connections, then the update installer must be in C:\IBM\Connections\updateInstaller. Rename or move the existing directory to another directory to preserve it, then extract the archive containing the latest update installer version from step #2 above.
4. Copy all the CR and fix JAR files to the fixes directory inside the update installer directory within the IBM Connections installation directory. For example, if you have IBM Connections installed in C:\IBM\Connections, then the update installer must be in C:\IBM\Connections\updateInstaller and the JAR files must be within the C:\IBM\Connections\updateInstaller\fixes directory.
5. If applying the CR and fixes to a clustered environment, ensure the WebSphere® Application Server Deployment Manager is started.
6. Run the update installer and follow the instructions to apply all fixes. For information on applying interim fixes, review the Installing interim fixes topic in the product documentation.
7. Start node agents, then perform a full synchronization to push the update to all nodes. Check the SystemOut.log of each nodeagent to ensure synchronization completed successfully.
8. Apply updates to the databases, as necessary. The necessary database updates are listed in Section #2 of this document. Please access the link on that section to download the database script package for the CR, and review the steps to run the database update scripts for your database type.
- If using the Update Installer's graphic user interface (GUI) to apply the fixes: Ensure the directory for the fix location matches the exact location of the fixes directory inside the update installer directory within the IBM Connections installation directory, as stated in step #4. Otherwise, the installer may not find the fixes.
- If using the silent install option, you will need to specify the parameter "featureCustomizationBackedUp" and set the value to "yes", to indicate that you have backed up any customization done to the base product, or "no", to indicate that customization was not done and there is no need for a back up.
- Since CR2 requires Metrics database schema updates, a new parameter is required for the silent install command. Specify the parameter "databaseSchemaUpdatesHaveBeenCompleted" and set the value to "yes" to indicate the required schema updates have been completed. See the requirements section of this document for more details.
Silent install example:
|./updateSilent.sh -fix -installDir /opt/ibm/dmgr/websphere/AppServer/LotusConnections -fixDir /opt/ibm/dmgr/websphere/AppServer/LotusConnections/updateinstaller/fixes -install -fixes LO68406 -wasUserId myadminuser -wasPassword mypassword -featureCustomizationBackedUp yes -databaseSchemaUpdatesHaveBeenCompleted yes|
Translate this page: