Security Bulletin: IBM SPSS SamplePower Vsflex8l ActiveX control vulnerability (CVE-2012-5945)
There is a security vulnerability with the Vsflex8l ActiveX control shipped by IBM SPSS SamplePower Version 3. The vulnerability allows remote attackers to execute arbitrary code on installations of SamplePower when the control is invoked as ActiveX by Microsoft Internet Explorer.
CVE IDs: CVE-2012-5945
DESCRIPTION: It is possible for an attacker to compromise the Vsflex8l ActiveX control used within IBM SPSS SamplePower to remotely execute arbitrary code by instantiating this control from Microsoft Internet Explorer. For a remote attacker to exploit these vulnerabilities in SamplePower releases, the following must be accomplished:
- The user must have IBM SPSS SamplePower installed on the machine.
- Attacker needs to create malicious code that would exploit the ActiveX control. Buffer overflow occurs when a special malformed string is assigned to the 'ComboList'(or 'ColComboList') property. The code starting at 10033FD6 looks for a '#' to terminate the string. It then copies the string into a global buffer in the data section with a static size of 0x64.
- It is safe for scripting.
As of April 24, 2013, IBM has not received any reports of customer issues related to these security vulnerabilities.
These vulnerabilities were reported to IBM by HP's Zero Day Initiative (ZDI) and discovered by a third-party researcher, Alexander Gavrun, working with ZDI.
Using the Common Vulnerability Scoring System (CVSS) v2, the security ratings for these issues are:
CVSS Base Score: 9.3
CVSS Temporal Score: See http://xforce.iss.net/xforce/xfdb/80561 for the current score
CVSS Environmental Score*: Undefined
CVSS Vector: (AV:N/AC:M/Au:N/C:C/I:C/A:C)
IBM SPSS SamplePower for Windows V3.0
The recommended solution is to download and install the IBM SamplePower 3.0 FP1.
|Fix*||VRMF||APAR||How to acquire fix|
In order to remove the old version of the Control, the user should un-install the current release, download the available Sample Power 3.0.1 Fix Pack 1, install and re-license with your current Authorization Code.
- Download the Fix Pack from IBM Fix Central (3.0-IM-S3SAMPC-WIN32-FP001).
- Install the IBM SamplePower 3.0. FP1 on top of your existing installation.
- Reboot if necessary.
None known apply the workaround.
Note: According to the Forum of Incident Response and Security Teams (FIRST), the Common Vulnerability Scoring System (CVSS) is an “industry open standard designed to convey vulnerability severity and help to determine urgency and priority of response.” IBM PROVIDES THE CVSS SCORES “AS IS” WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, INCLUDING THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. CUSTOMERS ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR ASSESSING THE IMPACT OF ANY ACTUAL OR POTENTIAL SECURITY VULNERABILITY.