Announcement letter for CICS Transaction Server for z/OS Value Unit Edition 5.1
CICS Transaction Server for z/OS (CICS TS) Value Unit Edition (VUE) V5.1 general availability (GA) date was 26 April 2013. CICS TS VUE V5.1 offers a one-time-charge (OTC) price metric for eligible workloads that are deployed in qualified System z New Application License Charge (zNALC) logical partitions (LPARs). This document contains a summary of CICS TS VUE V5.1, a link to the announcement letter, and additional ways that you can become familiar with the capabilities of CICS TS VUE V5.1.
CICS TS VUE offers the following benefits for eligible workloads:
- An OTC licensing option for CICS TS V5.1, with subscription and support
- Deployment to zNALC LPARs, which delivers a reduced price for the z/OS operating system
- The ability for new CICS TS VUE V5 workloads to federate with existing CICS TS V3, CICS TS V4, and CICS TS V5 workloads
- A license that does not initiate any SVC period for any other monthly license charge (MLC) versions of CICS TS
The OTC price metric provides an alternative pricing model for new CICS Java applications and new CICS Java-based, service enablement workloads.
Support for the zNALC metric offers a reduced price for the z/OS operating system on LPARs that run a qualified application.
CICS TS VUE V5.1 can connect to other supported versions of CICS TS for z/OS (whether in zNALC or non-zNALC environments) for the purpose of workload federation and systems management.
CICS TS VUE is a separately licensed program and does not initiate any Single Version Charging (SVC) period for monthly license charge (MLC) versions of CICS TS. This means that new CICS TS VUE applications can federate with existing CICS TS V3, CICS TS V4, and CICS TS V5 workloads, without mandating an upgrade of those systems.
For more information, see the US Announcement Letter CICS Transaction Server for z/OS Value Unit Edition V5.1 (213-168). Information for other country announcements is available on the IBM Offering Information page.
For more details about CICS TS V5.1 see:
- CICS TS VUE V5.1 web page
- CICS TS V5.1 detailed system requirements
- CICS TS VUE V5.1 information center
CICS/TS CICS TS CICS Transaction Server