Announcement letter for CICS TS Feature Packs for Mobile Extensions 1.0 and Modern Batch 1.0
CICS Transaction Server for z/OS (CICS TS) Feature Pack for Mobile Extensions V1.0, CICS TS Feature Pack for Modern Batch V1.0, and CICS Explorer V5.1.1 (with support for Eclipse 4.2.2 and z/OS Explorer V2.1) general availability (GA) date was 14 June 2013. This document contains a summary of these two new feature packs, information on the new version of the CICS Explorer and tools plug-ins, a link to the announcement letter, and additional ways that you can become familiar with these enhancements.
These two new feature packs for CICS TS 5.1 and 4.2 further enhance service agility and operational efficiency by adding support for mobile applications and modern batch.
This feature pack enables new and unchanged existing COBOL, C/C++, and PL/I programs to be JSON enabled web service providers. A batch utility is provided to create COBOL, C/C++, or PL/I language structures and a WSBIND mapping file from an existing JSON schema, or generate a JSON schema and a WSBIND file from existing language structures. Requests received by CICS are processed in a web service pipeline and the WSBIND file is used to transform the datastreams.
If you are on an earlier release of CICS TS and want to expose CICS programs to mobile applications through IBM Worklight, you can use SOAP, or write an adapter program that uses the Web API and processes one of the above formats. Both of these are available in CICS TS V3.1, or later.
- CICS TS Feature Pack for Modern Batch V1.0 enables you to run new Java™ batch applications in a CICS JVM server. It provides the infrastructure to enable IBM WebSphere Application Server V8.5 or above to schedule CICS applications. This feature pack reduces the need to take critical CICS applications offline in order to process bulk updates in batch efficiently. It helps to ease the pressure on many enterprises' batch window and improves the availability of your online CICS systems. If you currently use CICS SupportPac CN11: CICS TS support for WebSphere eXtended Deployment Compute Grid, you are advised to upgrade to this feature pack, that is fully supported and provides additional capabilities.
In addition to these two feature packs, the CICS TS V5.1 web container is enhanced to enable CICS Java applications to interact in a RESTful manner with mobile devices and other applications using the JSON data interchange format. This is documented in APAR PM85279 and in the Java web applications section of the CICS TS product documentation.
CICS Explorer V5.1.1 is also updated to support Eclipse 4.2.2 and z/OS Explorer V2.1. The plug-ins for the following products in the CICS Tools family are also updated. They deliver some updated capabilities, tolerating the latest CICS Explorer and Eclipse levels, and providing plug-ins in Installation Manager format:
- CICS Configuration Manager for z/OS, V5.1.1
- CICS Deployment Assistant for z/OS, V5.1.1
- CICS Interdependency Analyzer for z/OS, V5.1.1
- CICS Performance Analyzer for z/OS, V5.1.1
- CICS Transaction Gateway for z/OS, V9.0.1
For CICS TS V5.1:
- IBM z/OS V1.13 or later is required. CICS TS V5.1 will not initialize in an environment with a lower level of operating system.
- The PTFs for APAR PM82519 and APAR PM90739 must be applied in order for CICS TS Feature Pack for Mobile Extensions V1.0 and CICS TS Feature Pack for Modern Batch V1.0 to operate.
- The IBM 64-bit SDK for z/OS, Java Technology Edition V7 SR1, or later, is required if using Java application programs, the CICS Web Services Assistant, or the CICS XML Assistant.
- IBM z/OS V1.11 or later is required. CICS TS V4.2 will not initialize in an environment with a lower level of operating system.
- The PTFs for APAR PM82511 and APAR PM90738 must be applied in order for CICS TS Feature Pack for Mobile Extensions V1.0 and CICS TS Feature Pack for Modern Batch V1.0 to operate.
- The IBM 64-bit SDK for z/OS, Java Technology Edition V6.0.1, or later, is required if using Java application programs, enterprise beans, or the CICS Web Services Assistant.
For more details about CICS TS see: IBM Software Support Lifecycle Page for CICS TS to determine if the release of CICS TS you are running is still supported or if there is a newer release of CICS TS.
CICS/TS CICS TS CICS Transaction Server
Translate this page: